MyRoute-app and Nav5

malcopopolo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been using MyRoute-app as recommended by others on here instead of using basecamp.
The free version works very well, it is just like using Googlemaps but you have the facility to send your routes direct to your sat nav via USB connected to a laptop/computer.

On extended tours it would be ideal to change routes at the hotel.

The only computer I have is high spec macbook which I do not want to take with me when touring.

After a bit of research I thought I would share an idea....

I have a 10inch Lenovo android tablet. I have installed MyRoute-app via lay store. All good!

I have ordered one of these from fleabay https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/mp3-accessories/logik-lotg15-micro-usb-to-usb-adapter-0-12-m-10118052-pdt.html?store=2319&cmpid=ppc~gg~(PLA)-LOCAL~~Exact&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=aiprirtti&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1022%20(PLA)%20PC%20COMPONENTS%20-%20Adaptive~1022%20(PLA)%20PC%20COMPONENTS%20-%20Adaptive%20ad%20group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700027233284265&PLA=1&tgtid=1022%20(PLA)%20PC%20COMPONENTS%20-%20Adaptive&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImvG3mOmR2AIVSbvtCh0w0AlREAQYBSABEgKJLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The idea is to connect this to the android tablet creating a USB connection. I then connect the NAV 5 to the the newly created usb connector on the android tablet.

I am hoping that the Android device will see the nav 5 as a storage device and allow me to save the gpx file made by MyRoute-app directly onto the Nav 5

Will let you know in a few days.

Cable arrived today. All works via my Mobile phone LG G3,I can drop gpx files directly onto satnav but not my Lenovo android tablet.

Needs more research...

Cable arrived today. All works via my Mobile phone LG G3,I can drop gpx files directly onto satnav but not my Lenovo android tablet.

Needs more research...
It appears after much playing that my tablet does not support the otg cable. My LG phone does but practically is a to small to plot routes with. Some tablets are supported, it depends on the chipset. I will be using a small MacBook.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

What about making your phone a wireless hotspot and connecting your tablet that way? Or bluetooth your phone to the tablet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was using a Samsung 10.1 tablet with an SD card adaptor, loaded the routes onto a micro SD and plugged it into my sat nav unit to load routes.

Don't know if same is available for the Lenovo???

Sgy.Cupid - Bluetooth sadly is not an option. I was attempting to create a route on my Lenovo tablet and send it to the nav 5. The bluetooth on Nav 5 does not support file transfer.

mcnib - I did hear Samsung tablets as the chipset inside supports usb. I would consider purchasing a usb otg cable for your netbook and connect your stanav via the usb. This works via my LG phone so I know it down to the chipset inside the Lenovo.

Picked up a small Macbook air from this site so will be using this.

Stever1 - if you connect a usb device via dongle then your Ipad may well work

Back
Top Bottom