Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Whatever you do, don’t go into the RDG Tools showroom in Halifax . . . . .

Or go anywhere near the 'Chronos' website . . . . ;).

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/

I have a 'Warco WM280V' lathe and a 'Warco GH Universal' Milling Machine. Like you I was very excited when they arrived but they are cheap Chinese and their limitations soon become apparent. I have done a lot of work with both but you have to take things very slowly with sharp tools to get a half-decent finish (sorry, but that's my experience).

Enjoy it and (like me) treat yourself to lots of accessories :thumb.

Bob.

Thanks for the heads up about the Chronos site...it’s just like being in a sweet shop

:thumb

Or go anywhere near the 'Chronos' website . . . . ;).

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/

I have a 'Warco WM280V' lathe and a 'Warco GH Universal' Milling Machine. Like you I was very excited when they arrived but they are cheap Chinese and their limitations soon become apparent. I have done a lot of work with both but you have to take things very slowly with sharp tools to get a half-decent finish (sorry, but that's my experience).

Enjoy it and (like me) treat yourself to lots of accessories :thumb.

Bob.
Compare my Warco to a new Myford and the difference is obvious, but the Warco is a lot of lathe for relatively little money so you can give the hobby a try and see if you like it.

Daft thing I’ve found is the degree marking for cutting tapers on the top slide are behind the tool post, how your supposed read them I don’t know lol

Daft thing I’ve found is the degree marking for cutting tapers on the top slide are behind the tool post, how your supposed read them I don’t know lol

:D :D.

You'll find a few oddities like that!

What really annoys me is that both the lathe and mill 'chatter' under any sort of load, the bearings must be rubbish. I keep meaning to strip them down and put some decent bearings in.

I have had a 1950s 'Denford Viceroy' lathe for years and it has been a much better machine in its day (built in Halifax!). Unfortunately its now very worn and the Warco was to replace it and also to make parts for refurbing the Denford.

I wish I'd taken a much deeper breath and bought a Bridgeport :green gri.

Never mind, I love it really and lavish lots of care and attention on it (swapping the Change Wheels is a real pain though, allow at least an hour to change thread pitches :eek:).

Bob.

:D :D.

You'll find a few oddities like that!

What really annoys me is that both the lathe and mill 'chatter' under any sort of load, the bearings must be rubbish. I keep meaning to strip them down and put some decent bearings in.

I have had a 1950s 'Denford Viceroy' lathe for years and it has been a much better machine in its day (built in Halifax!). Unfortunately its now very worn and the Warco was to replace it and also to make parts for refurbing the Denford.

I wish I'd taken a much deeper breath and bought a Bridgeport :green gri.

Never mind, I love it really and lavish lots of care and attention on it (swapping the Change Wheels is a real pain though, allow at least an hour to change thread pitches :eek:).

Bob.

Chatter is a lack of rigidity, I’ve already had that, I try to keep the cutter as close to the toolpost as I can and keep the cuts light. An hour to change the gears sounds extreme, a gear box must be nice

The tank, seat, mudguard and panels are back from paint, I can get the seat recoverd now

Before & After pictures,

Attachments

• 02 Repainted parts.jpg
    02 Repainted parts.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 689
  • 01 Going for paint.jpg
    01 Going for paint.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 638
A tub of parts came back from the platers, very nice too

Attachments

• 01 Rearsets re zinc plated in tub.jpg
    01 Rearsets re zinc plated in tub.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 568
  • 02 Clip-on handlebars re chromed.jpg
    02 Clip-on handlebars re chromed.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 575
The rear sets made up, I need to make new pivot pins for the foot rest and brake pedal, they were originally riveted together

Attachments

• 03 Rearsets re zinc plated.jpg
    03 Rearsets re zinc plated.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 588
Clip-on's and other parts loosly fitted just to see if they will go back together. I need to make up a pair of clip on bar extenders, the originals were a very tight press fit, now there're now a very loose fall out fit, how did that happen?? :blast

Attachments

• 04 Loose fitting.jpg
    04 Loose fitting.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 567
The painted parts look great. The Verlicchi headlamp 'ears' are upside down in your photo.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The painted parts look great. The Verlicchi headlamp 'ears' are upside down in your photo.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Thanks Paradiso, I’ve been puzzling about which way up they are meant to go, you can find pictures of them mounted ether way up. Nothing is fixed yet, I’ll swap them over and take a look because I have an old curved number plate to mount on the bottom yoke :thumb

What wasn't obvious from the pictures of the newly zinc plated rearsets was the left hand set needed new pivots riveting in for because the foot rest and brake pedal both hinge up to allow the bike to be kick started. I've had to drill out the footrest from 8mm to 8.5mm because of wear in the footrest pivot. The new pin is a tightish fit

Attachments

• 05 footrest rivet.jpg
    05 footrest rivet.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 417
New ball (old ball was an odd shape!) but same old spring all daubed up with grease

Attachments

• 06 old spring new balls.jpg
    06 old spring new balls.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 386
Rivited up with tools made to match the pins/rivits and the ends painted to stop rusting

You can now see how pitted the parts were from laying in various garages for 45 years, never mind, they look ok from a distance :D

Attachments

• 07 Rivited up and daubed with paint.jpg
    07 Rivited up and daubed with paint.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 402
I've put a new toolboard up in the garage this week so I can find the right spanner and socket :D

Still a bit of room top of the board for something... ?

Attachments

• toolboard.jpg
    toolboard.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 393
Some parts have come from Italy this week and I've been charged £26 duty on them by the customs people! I've sent them an objection via registered post, hope I get a refund!

Back
Top Bottom