Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

I've put a new toolboard up in the garage this week so I can find the right spanner and socket :D

Still a bit of room top of the board for something... ?

Maybe an body building thing for you left thigh for kickstarting? :)

Keep up the good work ebbo, your posts are a shining light in the darkness right now ...

Regs

Simon

Cheers guys!

So, I can't put it off any longer, I've started cleaning up the engine. I don't interned stripping it all down at this point in time and having it vapour blasted. It does have to have the clutch side off to fit the new generater but I'll give it deep clean with good old petrol, a tooth brush and green scourer first.

It comes apart real easy because Ducati screwed it together with Allan bolts back at the factory :thumb

But what a mess!

Attachments

• 01 Engine before.jpg
    01 Engine before.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 628
Three hours later and it's looking much better. I've only done this side but It's coming up much better than I expected, the quality of the alloy is very good, much like BMW alloy was before the 1100 oil heads.

Quite a way to go yet, but if I get it as clean as I can then add some shiny new allan bolts I might just be able to fool the public (from a distance) :D

Attachments

• 02 Engine clean in progress.jpg
    02 Engine clean in progress.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 638
Cheers guys!

So, I can't put it off any longer, I've started cleaning up the engine. I don't interned stripping it all down at this point in time and having it vapour blasted. It does have to have the clutch side off to fit the new generater but I'll give it deep clean with good old petrol, a tooth brush and green scourer first.

It comes apart real easy because Ducati screwed it together with Allan bolts back at the factory :thumb

But what a mess!
You may want to rethink that.
Andys engine was in a right state,mind you,it did turn up in a box:D
That said,in 30 or 40 years who knows what’s been messed with.
I’d like to think we have seen it all but ,,,,,,
For the cost of gaskets and seals ,to me,it’s a no brainer.
If all is good inside just clean it and rebuild it.
If there is a horror lurking it’s got to be better to address it now than have a trashed motor:confused:

You may want to rethink that.
Andys engine was in a right state,mind you,it did turn up in a box:D
That said,in 30 or 40 years who knows what’s been messed with.
I’d like to think we have seen it all but ,,,,,,
For the cost of gaskets and seals ,to me,it’s a no brainer.
If all is good inside just clean it and rebuild it.
If there is a horror lurking it’s got to be better to address it now than have a trashed motor:confused:

I will think about it Mikey thank you :thumb2

Not wanting to worry you unduly, but the roller big ends can and do go bang. I have personal experience of such a mishap while travelling at some speed. Stayed upright fortunately. It can be difficult to 'feel' for play. Crank has to be separated to check/replace. I had Alpha Bearings rebuild a crank with new rod and bearing. The price was reasonable, but it was some years ago. There's a sludge trap in the crank that requires cleaning too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not wanting to worry you unduly, but the roller big ends can and do go bang. I have personal experience of such a mishap while travelling at some speed. Stayed upright fortunately. It can be difficult to 'feel' for play. Crank has to be separated to check/replace. I had Alpha Bearings rebuild a crank with new rod and bearing. The price was reasonable, but it was some years ago. There's a sludge trap in the crank that requires cleaning too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cheer's Paradiso, I had heard of the sludge trap, If I stripped the engine down it would at least be done with. I'll think on it.

PS, the head light mounts have been swapped over :thumb

I've made two new clipon extenders as the old ones below are kaput (loose fit and one has a hole from a previously fitted bar end mirror).
You can probably work out from the picture how they work, The 6mm expanding bolts are a cheat but I didn't know a way to cut a suitable tapered hole in the alloy.
Anyway, they look good and know one knows but us, OK ;)

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 516
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 534
Here tis.
<iframe width="730" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fZj-c0sw9GE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excellent stuff congratulations so far great work. My mate is making a ducati trials bike using a 350 engine I believe

Thanks for posting this. I've seen the video before but it's none the worse for seeing again, reminding me of my regular ride from Oxford back to my home town, Shrewsbury, every few weekends on my 350 back in 1976/77. A wonderful run: Chipping Norton, Stow-on-the-Wold, Tewkesbury, Ledbury, Leominster, Ludlow, Bishops castle (my folks lived in Pontesbury so I detoured around the 'back way and the lovely Hope Valley road rather than the rather boring route though Church Stretton), and just doable on my tank full of five star fuel ...

So, what's the latest on the rebuild?

Regs

Simon

PS I'd like to learn more about those Ducati powered trials bikes!

Sorry for the lack of updates chaps, my PC packed up leaving me with only iproducts, and you can't do much with them!

So, the engine is very clean and in the frame. It took three of us to do it, two to do the lifting and wriggling and one to push the bolts home. Sorry it’s not been stripped down, I just don’t fancy the task right now, maybe when the crank blows :rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• Engine in frame.JPG
    Engine in frame.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 438
This is the old and new points cover parts. The new mounting pillars are stainless steel, the cover is chromed steel. Looking at the old cover the spring steel bars were chromed, but not the new ones

Attachments

• 01 new and old covers.JPG
    01 new and old covers.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 422
  • 02 mounting pillars.JPG
    02 mounting pillars.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 431
  • 03 cover fitted.JPG
    03 cover fitted.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 436
Next job; change the generator for a 12v version with more electrical umph. This mod has a lot to do with missing electrical/mechanical parts and the problems of buying said 40+ year old parts and to try and get it running.

Clutch cover puller (its that bolt thingy) :thumb2

Attachments

• 00 Cover puller.JPG
    00 Cover puller.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 431
Cover off, clutch disassembled (all the plates were stuck together) and the red handle tool makes it easy to get the clutch basket nut undone

Attachments

• 02 clutch center nut.JPG
    02 clutch center nut.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 457

Back
Top Bottom