Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Thanks everyone, there will be a start up video eventually, you couldn’t finish this without one could you, bike will probably burst into flames!

I’ve made up a new throttle cable (choke cable also needed) from a Venhill CC-20300 cable kit as you can’t seem to buy an off-the-peg cable for this bike. The old cable was frayed and rusty at the carb end and for the life of me I don’t know how it ever fitted or worked :nenau

This is a temporary nipple fitted to the cable at the twist grip end so I can adjust it's position. There's very little adjustment available and that's on the carb top, I could add another inline adjuster at the twist grip end but this will keep it clean looking

It's been trimmed down here for a final test, you can see a bit of the old cable above

Attachments

• 01 Temp nipple.JPG
    01 Temp nipple.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 327
I've had to make a nipple for the twist grip end as Venhill don't provide one the right size 5mm dia x 6mm length

Attachments

• 02 turning down brass.JPG
    02 turning down brass.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 03 Brass stock marked up.JPG
    03 Brass stock marked up.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 05 New Nipple 5mm d x 6mm w.JPG
    05 New Nipple 5mm d x 6mm w.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 04 Stock drilled.JPG
    04 Stock drilled.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 323
Lots of clean heat seems to be the secret to success, It takes around 10 mins to heat up this iron, once it's good and hot you can turn the blowlamp off and solder in peace

The nipple is soldered to the iron to help heat transfer over, any excess solder is wiped of with a clean cloth after soldering is done.

Wifey did the video, she did a good job because she changed the angle to get a better view. The original is much sharper, youtube have thrown away half the pixels :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nQXi8lbiTtI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Before and after soldering, I took at least 5 pictures of the finished nipple, all turned out blurred :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 06 Nipple on and cable strands spread.JPG
    06 Nipple on and cable strands spread.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 318
  • 07 Nipple after fettling.JPG
    07 Nipple after fettling.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 316
It's square slide Dellorto Carb, the cable runs outside the return spring. The other pictures show the cable run

Just a note about the Venhill cable, the new inner is super flexible compared to the old one which is very stiff in comparison, definitely a big improvement :thumb

Attachments

• 08 Square slide carb.JPG
    08 Square slide carb.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 09 Cable to twistgrip.JPG
    09 Cable to twistgrip.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 312
  • 010 Cable run.JPG
    010 Cable run.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 314
Video of the throttle operation (you can just see the slide going up and down), I’m happy with it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b9pkTdQBZ18?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wifey did the video, she did a good job because she changed the angle to get a better view. The original is much sharper, youtube have thrown away half the pixels :(

"Wifey" and "nipple" will do wonders for your Youtube channel ratings - I wonder what all the sad bastards will make of your videos though! :)

"Keep it up!" is what I say! :)

Simon

Looking good. It looks like you haven't got far to go now. Is there much left to do?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Looking good. It looks like you haven't got far to go now. Is there much left to do?

Not a lot Paradiso, cables to finish, fuel tank to clean out and fit, rewire, exhaust to fit, seat still to be collected when it's done, various other little odds n ends

Get it registered :eek:

This project was one year old at Christmas :augie

Is the gear selector box ok? They can be a problem if the 2 bronze bushings in the case wear. One year is pretty impressive given the work involved, the problems, hold ups and delays. Anyway, crack on and post a video when you get it started. I sold my Mk III 250 Desmo look alike in the summer (the one you saw on Ebay).

Is the gear selector box ok? They can be a problem if the 2 bronze bushings in the case wear. One year is pretty impressive given the work involved, the problems, hold ups and delays. Anyway, crack on and post a video when you get it started. I sold my Mk III 250 Desmo look alike in the summer (the one you saw on Ebay).

I've had the gear selector box apart and can't see any wear in it, it's a bazaar device, gear selector mechanism external to the gearbox. I remember your bike, mines the same colour now :thumb

Btw, choke cable made up and fitted this afternoon. I've left the cable quite slack to be sure it closes fully every time.

Exhaust fitted, must be the easiest job I’ve done. I was just waiting for an exhaust gasket before putting it on. You can see straight through the silencer so should sound pretty good :D

Attachments

• IMG_4048.JPG
    IMG_4048.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_4049.JPG
    IMG_4049.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 431
It's starting to look like a bike again :)

I'm really enjoying reading about your build and appreciate you taking the trouble to document it and post on here :beerjug:

Andres

I'm really enjoying reading about your build and appreciate you taking the trouble to document it and post on here :beerjug:

Andres

It'll transform into a butterfly when the painted parts go on lol :D

Andres

Oooohh,took the words right out of my mouth Andres ;)

ebbo, re the exhaust (looks great by the way). Is it NOS/pattern or were you able to refurb' the original?

ebbo, re the exhaust (looks great by the way). Is it NOS/pattern or were you able to refurb' the original?
The only silencer I got with the bike was an aftermarket megaphone (maybe a Dunstall) that was new and unused but deeply rusted from damp storage. The new one is pattern but nicely marked ‘Silentium’ and as far as I can tell correct for the bike. It weighs a ton. The front pipe is the best of the two I got with the bike, it was rusted and in a couple of places the chrome has come off right down to bare metal but it has mostly cleaned up quite nicely.

The only silencer I got with the bike was an aftermarket megaphone (maybe a Dunstall) that was new and unused but deeply rusted from damp storage. The new one is pattern but nicely marked ‘Silentium’ and as far as I can tell correct for the bike. It weighs a ton. The front pipe is the best of the two I got with the bike, it was rusted and in a couple of places the chrome has come off right down to bare metal but it has mostly cleaned up quite nicely.

Cheers......:thumb

Back
Top Bottom