Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Last thing for now, I checked the disc run-out with a dial gauge, I wasn't at all expecting it to run true but it's pretty good, I'm certainly not making any adjustments

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aVhaK5GATYM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice job :thumb.

I've been using one of those Mopod flaring tools for years and find it extremely good - far better than some of the other designs out there.

Bob.

I last used it to completely re-pipe an old Mini 20+ years ago Bob, I’m surprised I could remember how to use it!

Lovely job on those pipes - it’s the disproportionate amount of effort that goes into small details like that that makes a build both fun when you’re doing it and so satisfying when it’s all done :)

Andres

And that’s when I found many of the rocker cover screws were seized and the chocolate allen head screws were rounding off :blast

Best plan seemed to be to tap a Torx bit into the socket head and use that to turn the screws out :thumb2

First thing was to make a torx bit fit in the 5mm allen head bolts. I ground an oversize torx bit so it was a very tight fit when hammered it to the screw head, I sacrificed some allen bolts off the bike to make sure it all worked ok.

This is the kit I used from the 1/4 drive Halfords socket set. I made sure the torx bit was up to the job by fixing it in the vice and giving it a few clout's with a hammer. I didn't want a shattered torx bit stuck in a screw :thumb2

Attachments

• 01 torx and spanner.jpg
    01 torx and spanner.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 493
This is the first screw out, tap the torx bit in and they come out quite easily. Btw, penetrating fluid made no difference at all.

Attachments

• 02 screw out.jpg
    02 screw out.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 452
This is the only screw that beat the torx bit, it was already well rounded with nothing left for the torx bit to bite on, it needed drilling out :eek:

Attachments

• 04 this on needs drilling.jpg
    04 this on needs drilling.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 473
I experimented on old screws how big a drill I needed to nip it off and how deep to drill.

Attachments

• 03 experiments in head drilling.jpg
    03 experiments in head drilling.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 440
The cover came straight off but the screw head remained tightly stuck in the head and had to be drifted out from the back using a drill as a drift.

Attachments

• 09 stuck.jpg
    09 stuck.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 444
I'd stuffed a rag in the hole before scrapping the gasket off

Attachments

• 05 covers off.jpg
    05 covers off.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 507
As things were going so well I decided to do the screws for the bevel drive and cam cover. You can see new screws in the rocker cover.

Attachments

• 08 new screws.jpg
    08 new screws.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 445
Upper bevel drive. The wear pattern on the gears looked very good, it must have been well shimmed up at the factory

After all this there was clear signs of fresh oil comming up from the sump. Anyway, I pumped loads of oil into the valve gear and bevel drive before closing up :thumb2

That it for now!

Attachments

• 06 bevel drive.jpg
    06 bevel drive.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 473
  • 07 Mmmm new screws.jpg
    07 Mmmm new screws.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 448
First start up after 45 years, this is my mate Dave doing the start as he has magic boots and I wanted to film it. That puff of smoke cleared instantly, it was just some 3in1 oil I'd put down the bore when I first got it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZtdBkpRN_ns" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wooooooo Hoooooooo :clap:clap:clap

Is that it now, anything left to do?

Andres

It still needs MOT and re registering hopefully with the original reg plus a few odd jobs. I’ve ridden it up our street and the engine and clutch seem very sweet. I can’t as yet get any of the gears above first as I haven’t trained my feet to twist up that far, this maybe a problem, we’ll see

Great stuff.

I was there for the first fire up of my father’s totally rebuilt Frazer Nash after about 60 years. A very different project, I’ll admit but the happiness is the same. I am sure that in 200 or more years there will still be bods doing stuff like this; who knows, maybe with the same bike?

Weeeey Heeeeey ebbo !!!!......I have been waiting for that video for yonks....:thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2

What a cracking little bike. I know that you've outsourced some bits n bobs, but the whole picture is a credit to your your skills.

Very VERY well done Sir.....:)

Thanks everyone, I did outsource a lot, looks like I need to outsource the revcounter next because as soon as you rev up the needle dances all over the place :D

I’ll post up anything more I do with it but it’s just about done now :thumb

Brilliant Ebbo
This has been one of my must view threads, thanks is for letting us into your build world.

You must be so chuffed :friday :friday

Back
Top Bottom