Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

She exists!!

Just checked the GOV.UK MOT checking website and she's listed!!

Still waiting for the V5 but it's looking good now :eek: :thumb2 :okay :)

Attachments

• She exists!!.jpg
    She exists!!.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 375
Just found this today and spent ages reading it start to finish. Really enjoyed it - great job, especially all the little bits and pieces you made yourself and the problems you solved along the way. Only disappointment was that you didn't strip and rebuild the engine! I'd have enjoyed seeing you do that but I can sympathise with you giving it a miss! Well done :thumb2

Just found this today and spent ages reading it start to finish. Really enjoyed it - great job, especially all the little bits and pieces you made yourself and the problems you solved along the way. Only disappointment was that you didn't strip and rebuild the engine! I'd have enjoyed seeing you do that but I can sympathise with you giving it a miss! Well done :thumb2

I confess I have completely shied away from stripping the engine. It’s never been apart and has done very few miles (surprisingly it has great compression). The only thing that I feel really guilty about is the sludge trap in the crank... hmmm

What a cracking job u have done ebbo having read every page as I did with outtomunchs Bultaco build awesome!!:thumb2

What an amazing thread ,I have just read from start to finish and got goosebumps on startup!
Reminds me of my old Continental GT. Thank you so much for your time and effort to share this journey.

Thank's everyone for your comments :thumb2

Good news and bad, I got a letter back from the DVLA this morning. They have registered the bike against a new age related number CTC 536M with no explanation as to why they have not used its original number (GWF 131N). I've rung and raise a query as to why, but don't expect to get anything positive back from them (it's true, all I had to prove the reg was the old plates...). I haven't seen the details but expect it's registered as a historic vehicle.

The new V5 will be in the post sometime over the next four weeks :rolleyes: I can't get plates or insure it till I get the V5 :rolleyes:

Disappointing, but I can live with it :cool:

PS, In retaliation I might get a new black & silver alloy reg plate and kick it up and down the street to wear it in :D

Thank's everyone for your comments :thumb2

Good news and bad, I got a letter back from the DVLA this morning. They have registered the bike against a new age related number CTC 536M with no explanation as to why they have not used its original number (GWF 131N). I've rung and raise a query as to why, but don't expect to get anything positive back from them (it's true, all I had to prove the reg was the old plates...). I haven't seen the details but expect it's registered as a historic vehicle.

The new V5 will be in the post sometime over the next four weeks :rolleyes: I can't get plates or insure it till I get the V5 :rolleyes:

Disappointing, but I can live with it :cool:

PS, In retaliation I might get a new black & silver alloy reg plate and kick it up and down the street to wear it in :D

It's not the 100% perfect outcome, BUT when dealing with the DVLA/old motorbikes/DVLA/documentation/DVLA/imported vehicles/DVLA/getting a fairly quick resolution......I would take that as a result....:comfort

Summer's coming....:cool: :cool: :cool: ......

It's not the 100% perfect outcome, BUT when dealing with the DVLA/old motorbikes/DVLA/documentation/DVLA/imported vehicles/DVLA/getting a fairly quick resolution......I would take that as a result....:comfort

Summer's coming....:cool: :cool: :cool: ......

I’m getting used to it Jonnie, summer is coming :thumb

Unbelievably, this morning I received a letter from the DVLA saying they hold an original record for my GWF 131N registration in response to my application by form V765 and will provide me a new V5C bearing that registration if I fill in the provided from V62 form, they will also refund me the £55 I paid to register the bike!!

Why they issued me with CTC 536M when all the forms went back together in one envelope I’ll never understand, departments not talking to each other obviously)

I have had a plate made under CTC 536M, that’s going in the bin :rolleyes:

Footman James will change the registration FOC!!

I’m thrilled to bits!!

What you need in rough order to re register a bike.

Motorcycle Age Certificate
The DVLA have nominated people in the clubs to provide this document. Supply the information on your machine to the nominated person via the club such as photos and documentation and wait for him to produce the age document. Once signed and dated this document has a shelf life of one year. Costs will vary

V765
If you want to retain the original registration number you will need to fill in a V765. It also needs counter signing by the same nominated person who did the age certificate, so get them done together.

MOT
Take the bike for an MOT, they will need to generate an age related profile for the bike against the frame number, including millage and date of manufacture.

NOVA
Regardless of what you might read on the internet or the NOVA form itself, anything not on the DVLA database will need NOVA registration with HMRC regardless of whether it was originally registered in the UK back in the day. HMRC provided the eight page NOVA form, fill in all fields that seem relevant. Most important, if it was originally registered in the UK you must tell them with a cover letter because there is no provision for this on the form. Make it absolutely clear you and no one else has not imported the machine, Sign the letter. They should respond back in about two weeks with a VIN number formed from the frame number and a Notification Reference.

Insurance
You must provided proof the machine is insured for the V55/5. All I could get for an unregistered machine is storage insurance. I got mine via Carol Nash. Why they want this I don’t know, it’s just a waste of £40 as far as I can see.

Photo’s
Left and right sides of the complete machine and engine and frame numbers + in my case a photo of the original registration plates.

ID
Photocopy of your passport, bank statement and council tax bill will do.

V55/5
You have to send for this form, you can’t download it; they are serial numbered. Use info on the web to help you fill it in. The only thing they corrected on mine was they changed the frame number to suite them as a VIN number. Don’t for get to register it as a Historic Vehicle. Write a cover letter and make it absolutely clear you have not imported the machine and that it was originally registered when new in the UK, include your Notification Reference from the HMRC, Sign the letter.

Money
A cheque for £55 – If they find the original registration you will not pay for the V5C

Postage
For peace of mind, send your V55 pack to the DVLA via Post Office Special Delivery, it’s the first thing they will ask when you ring them to enquire what’s happening with your V55...

GOOD LUCK!!

Unbelievably, this morning I received a letter from the DVLA saying they hold an original record for my GWF 131N registration ...................................
I’m thrilled to bits!!

Great result and I'll bet you are :thumb2

I always find the whole process a bit nerve-racking and am in the middle of doing similar myself at the moment; I had a call off them last week and I thought 'here we go, what have done wrong/not sent' :( but they just wanted to clarify something. I'm assuming it's all going through ok but won't really relax until that V5 is in my grubby hands!

Andres

RESULT ebbo !!....:thumb2

I bet I'm not the only one doing a copy/paste of post #436 and saving all that info' Many thanks for posting.

RESULT ebbo !!....:thumb2

I bet I'm not the only one doing a copy/paste of post #436 and saving all that info' Many thanks for posting.

That's what it's there for Jonnie, I hope it helps someone :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom