Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Now I know what space I have under the seat I’ve been able to cut and fit an alloy plate under the regulator to stick the electronic ignition module down using a big sticky velcro pad

Just in shot on the far left is the rubber bung that supports the rear of the tank. It's strapped down with a ziptie.

Attachments

• 001 electronics.jpg
    001 electronics.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 452
I'm headin to Andorra next wee and can revisit the Desmo that's 'decorating' a shop there. If you want any detail phtographed to check fitting, etc. just let me know. I'm nit 100% sure that this version is 'perfect' - as an ex-contemporary owner of Dukes back inthe 'seventies there's no such this as a 'stadard' - but to judge form the other bikes in the 'collection' Id say the owner, a nice old chap in his 'seventies', I'd say the restoration is as 100% as possible, remember this from the start of your project?

imgp0990.jpg

There were other bikes too ...

Regs

Simon

Hi Simon, interesting to see the run of the clutch cable which I’d decided to run in front of the cylinder as the smoothest route, I’ll see how it fits behind. By all means post pictures, if you find a disc brake model the correct run of the speedo cable from the front wheel is still a bit of a mystery to me, picture show it going both to the front and rear of fork leg.

Hi Simon, interesting to see the run of the clutch cable which I’d decided to run in front of the cylinder as the smoothest route, I’ll see how it fits behind. By all means post pictures, if you find a disc brake model the correct run of the speedo cable from the front wheel is still a bit of a mystery to me, picture show it going both to the front and rear of fork leg.

It willbe my pleasure! :)

This is a 250 Scrambler which I saw in Sardinia a few years ago, I don't know how original it is or whether the cable runs would be the same with clip-ons?

139.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This is a 250 Scrambler which I saw in Sardinia a few years ago, I don't know how original it is or whether the cable runs would be the same with clip-ons?

That one runs to the rear, no idea if that’s original or not

imgp0988.jpg

Ha ha, managed to fimd my originals and with amazing prescience I took a details image of the clutch cable running behind the cylinder and up under the inlet manifold. This gives it quite a 180º turn but I miusy say it looks neater than the Scambler above!

No idea about the speedo on disk brake models, mine were both twin drum affairs, but recently I've been chatting on facebook by a Dutch guy called Rob Labordus who sees to be a 'prefessional' expert in old Dukes. From the same source I see a facebook group for Ducati Singles - although it may be an on-line dating site! :)

Regs

Simon

imgp0988.jpg

Ha ha, managed to fimd my originals and with amazing prescience I took a details image of the clutch cable running behind the cylinder and up under the inlet manifold. This gives it quite a 180º turn but I miusy say it looks neater than the Scambler above!

No idea about the speedo on disk brake models, mine were both twin drum affairs, but recently I've been chatting on facebook by a Dutch guy called Rob Labordus who sees to be a 'prefessional' expert in old Dukes. From the same source I see a facebook group for Ducati Singles - although it may be an on-line dating site! :)

Regs

Simon
That’s a very tight route for the cable isn’t it! Thanks for the additional pictures

I’m in a Facebook group for the single, it’s been both useful and disappointing at times, you just take from it what’s useful

Par for the course! :)

Indeed, I’m on a couple of groups for the Bultaco; I’ve had a guy in Aus strip a pair of forks just to send me a couple of oil control discs (no charge) to Spanish guys ending up arguing over a particular finish (but no useful outcome) ~ on balance though it’s been a great help :)

Anyway, ebbo, it’s looking very good, how far away are you from getting it finished do you reckon?

Andres

Well I'm not waiting for anything now Andres but I don't want to commit to a time because things like decorating the mother-in-laws through lounge seem to pop up from nowhere and eat your time, still, shouldn’t be long now.

I went to Andora on Thursday for some pre-Brexit hoarding - who knows, may not be able to get back into Spain! - but the bird had flown, so to speak. Not a sign of the Ducati, just a load of f***ing washing machines - some kind of a shop that is! - so no help with the clutch cable route issue I'm afraid.

Keep up the good work ebbo!

Simon

I went to Andora on Thursday for some pre-Brexit hoarding - who knows, may not be able to get back into Spain! - but the bird had flown, so to speak. Not a sign of the Ducati, just a load of f***ing washing machines - some kind of a shop that is! - so no help with the clutch cable route issue I'm afraid.

Keep up the good work ebbo!

Simon

Thanks for looking Simon, I’ve tried bending the cable upward instead of forward and it doesn’t really want to go that route so I’ll take the path of least resistance.
Just order a few more meters of wire for the loom, I keep running out!

Thanks for looking Simon, I’ve tried bending the cable upward instead of forward and it doesn’t really want to go that route so I’ll take the path of least resistance.
Just order a few more meters of wire for the loom, I keep running out!

I know the feeling, last year I had our house rewired and nw I'm putting plug sockets, lights, etc. in all the places we really need them ...

ebbo.....I was just wondering how this was going ??

Please ignore me (really) if life has kicked in and things have got put on hold.

It was getting SO close to fuel on, choke on, ignition on and KICK !!!....:thumb2

Sorry for the lack of updates Jonnie and everyone else. Work is progressing.

So basically the electrics are done except for the two indicators in the headlamp shell (main beam and generator lights) that’s another story :rolleyes:

So for starters here's a little video I took of the rear light the evening I got it working. The rear brake light switch gave problems as the contacts had gone high resistance in the 40 years since it was made (it's new old stock). I had to take it apart twice to clean contacts and adjust spring tension but finally it was working. The front hydraulic brake switch works just fine too :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BBPjO_mQKs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here we have the headlight working again; it's mostly original except for the reflector that hadn't survived and a new 12v 35/35w halogen lamp. It's all wired on quite thick wire with an aditional neg wire running back to the battery instead of using frame. It seems pretty bright but the beam pattern looks hopeless, we shall see, or maybe not :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ORQ8YllSgdo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If it's really bad I have a lovely dished lens Cibie that might fit :green gri

The 12v Voxbell horn, it's quite a bit louder than this video sugests

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-NewfjMebHQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The wiring diagram. Basically it's a modified diagram from the Haynes book with Sachse electronic ignition and Electrex World 12v generator/regulator added.

Attachments

• Electronic Ignition and 120w Generator Diagram.jpg
    Electronic Ignition and 120w Generator Diagram.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 667
This is pretty much how the electrics now look under the seat, the ignition module is on the left and the regulator on the right. You can also see a 5mm binding post with green wires attached. This is where I've brought all the negatives together.

Attachments

• Under seat wiring II.jpg
    Under seat wiring II.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 415

Back
Top Bottom