Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

I've replaced the spring that came with the original shocks with theses chrome ones that also came with the kit. Improvised a spring compressor and got the wife to insert the caps with a pair of pliers to save here fingers :D

Elf and Safety Mi Lud,

So, back off my holls and it's time to get things moving again. This is the bulk of the parts I've taken in for zinc and chroming today.
https://www.allenchrome.co.uk/

There really isn't that much, axle bolts and spacer, two engine bolts, rear sprocket for Zinc and the horn grill for Chrome. It'll take about 14 working days.
Not in this collection is the clipons and the rearsets that will need a little work before going in.

Attachments

• Zinc & Chrome.jpg
    Zinc & Chrome.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 509
A little work on the seat this morning.
So this is how I got it with the cover gone. It doesn't matter because it would probably need replacing anyway. I cut the foam off carefully and found the seat under frame was riveted on with steel rivets, they did not want to come off! Grinding, drilling and punching out finally got it apart

Attachments

• 01 Seat + foam.jpg
    01 Seat + foam.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 479
  • 03 Under frame on seat.jpg
    03 Under frame on seat.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 476
Good job I checked the seat under frame fit to the bike frame, I can tell you it must have been a real bugger to get it on and off. Now it's a good sliding fit and the frame has been adjusted to fit the seat better too. I'll be getting the frame powder coated asap. The seat will need minor repair with glass fibre due to a minor crack :thumb2

Attachments

• 04 Under frame fitted bike frame.jpg
    04 Under frame fitted bike frame.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 498
That little crack in the seat got repaired today with a small glassfibre repair kit

This is the crack

Attachments

• 05 split.jpg
    05 split.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 421
Pic 1 - Glassfibre ground out with an angle grinder
Pic 2 - Three layers of glassfibre mat building up the size of the layers as I went. Quick repair, only took about 30 mins

I put a bit of tape under the crack to stop resin dropping out, seems to have worked out ok

I'll trim it off when its fully set

Attachments

• 06 ground out.jpg
    06 ground out.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 07 patched.jpg
    07 patched.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 389
More goodies for the bike, an electronic ignition kit and a 12v 120w alternator kit.

The bike did have electronic ignition when it was built but all the parts for it have long since disappeared :( It could be converted back to points ignition or you could try to find the right Ducati electronic ignition parts, but the reality is this new ignition kit should be a sure fire winner! (get it?). The output of the original 6v alternator is a maximum of just 60w mostly I think because some of the alternator coils are meant to drive the ignition directly. So, in the end it just makes sense to go 12v/120w and have a bit more oomph in the electrics :thumb2

Need a 12v Horn now :rolleyes:

Attachments

• electronic ign kit and 12v 120w alternator kit.jpg
    electronic ign kit and 12v 120w alternator kit.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 374
More goodies for the bike, an electronic ignition kit and a 12v 120w alternator kit.

I'm guessing that that stuff isn't model specific (as in, not designed specifically for the Desmo 250) ......right or wrong ??

Is it easy enough to fit and get running......I do appreciate that you haven't done it on the Desmo yet, but you may have gone through this whole thing before ?

Interesting stuff....:)

I'm guessing that that stuff isn't model specific (as in, not designed specifically for the Desmo 250) ......right or wrong ??

Is it easy enough to fit and get running......I do appreciate that you haven't done it on the Desmo yet, but you may have gone through this whole thing before ?

Interesting stuff....:)

The kit I bought is made by a German company called elektronik-sachse https://www.elektronik-sachse.de. It's specific for the 250/350/450 Ducati single, but only because the magnetic cam and sender are designed to fit that bike. The module I'm sure is just programmed to suit whatever bike it's meant for. This one has the benefit of very simple set up. Set the engine to top dead centre and then rotate the pick up carefully till the LED goes out and its set. It also has 9 different advance modes and a two position road or race rev limiter. Probably best of all when starting the ignition is set to top dead centre to stop kick-back (I do like that).

BTW, I took the seat, tank, guard and side panels in for paint yesterday along with a bunch of decals. You can see the original orange colour I'm aiming for on the seat and panels. A guy selling his own Ducati 250 on ebay tipped me off with the colour code 'Glasurit CE-SY 070.01.' I've seen the Glasurit paint chips, It's very close. Two weeks till it all comes back, fingers crossed

Attachments

• Going for paint.jpg
    Going for paint.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 604
The kit I bought is made by a German company called elektronik-sachse https://www.elektronik-sachse.de. It's specific for the 250/350/450 Ducati single, but only because the magnetic cam and sender are designed to fit that bike. The module I'm sure is just programmed to suit whatever bike it's meant for. This one has the benefit of very simple set up. Set the engine to top dead centre and then rotate the pick up carefully till the LED goes out and its set. It also has 9 different advance modes and a two position road or race rev limiter. Probably best of all when starting the ignition is set to top dead centre to stop kick-back (I do like that).

Ahhhh.....I get it. Many thanks for the reply......:thumb2

The bits in for Chrome and zinc are back, cost £25

Before & after

PS, sorry about the state of the utility room sink, I use it to wash bits :D

Attachments

• Zinc & Chrome 1 before.jpg
    Zinc & Chrome 1 before.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Zinc & Chrome 2 after.jpg
    Zinc & Chrome 2 after.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 539
Spent today building a simple worktable to make assembly easier, it's on casters too so it's easy to push around and work on the bike.

Note the forks and wheels are in, nothing is permanent, I'm just checking out the fit (and the fit is looking good :thumb2).

Attachments

• work table.jpg
    work table.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 569
Items from the last few days:

New and old headlamp bulbs (BA20d base), Left 12v Halogen 35/35w - Right 6v 25/25w

Attachments

• Headlamp bulbs.jpg
    Headlamp bulbs.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 475

Back
Top Bottom