Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

The two bearing carriers, the oily one is from the disc side

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 618
The front wheel wthout its carriers and disc - It can carry another disc and the fork leg has mountings for another caliper... Interesting!

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 657
Picking up the rear wheel I found the rear brake pivot was seized rock solid, what a surprise :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 620
Lots of heat and 3in1 oil started to produce slight movement, more heat and more oil eventually got it fully free. I was very happy at this point :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BO9Td6qASr8?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then I found I couldn't get brake arm off it's bloody splines :blast

Eventually that too came loose and I got it off, it was still a tight fit on the splines but after cleaning the splines and working the lever on and off some 50+ times in various positions it now slips on and off real easy :thumb2

So, it's off to see Ray later in the week, see what he has to say :thumb2

Picked up all the parts from TripleS today, what a great job! Everything looks to have been masked off perfectly and the shine on the gloss black is super :clap

The fork legs and yokes are textured satin black, the yokes look superb but the fork legs look a bit coarse in places but I'm going to roll with it, it'll look terrific!

Youve been done! They have nicked the airer frames!

Loving it ebbo......It's cold and wet outside so you might as well just bang on with this.....Crack on !!........:thumb2

Loving it ebbo......It's cold and wet outside so you might as well just bang on with this.....Crack on !!........:thumb2

Progress so far, airer hung and working :D

Swing arm and centerstand back in the frame

Headstock bearings replaced, Steering lock fitted (the old chrome cover was like new under a thick coat of black paint, the lock itself was like new)

Rear suspension acorn nuts specially made by a man on eBay M10x1mm

Attachments

• IMG_0719b.jpg
    IMG_0719b.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 582
The bolts holding the discs and carriers to the hub came undone real easy but the disc was stuck fast on the bearing carrier. I left that for the afternoon soaking in WD40 before attacking it again later on. It came apart with gentle persuasion :thumb2

Hmm, obviously Mafia tactics are essential Ducati mechanic's skills! :)

The front wheel wthout its carriers and disc - It can carry another disc and the fork leg has mountings for another caliper... Interesting!

Intersting, my 'fantasy' Spanish made Ducati, the 350 Vento, has twin disks and even a disk on the rear. Maybe a bit OTT given the light weight but certainly impressive!

screen-shot-2018-01-30-at-05-56-05.png

screen-shot-2018-02-22-at-10-16-47.png

Having said that, typical of Ducati singles hardly any two were the same ...

Keep up the good work! :)

Simon

I really do fancy twin discs, And that harks back to my RD350 which would also have taken a second disc, I just never got around to it. But I’m going to resist for now, I’m sure it doesn’t need it

I really do fancy twin discs, And that harks back to my RD350 which would also have taken a second disc, I just never got around to it. But I’m going to resist for now, I’m sure it doesn’t need it

Hmm RD 350, now that was a real motorbike, you've always had good taste I see! :)

This may not look like much but is in fact a big step forward in restoring the bike, These are the two new fork top nuts. I had no idea where I was going to get these and what made it worse I didn't know what size they were or even exactly what they looked like, Ceriani made quite a few different types around this time. Loads of research on the net and I finally found them on Classic and Vintage Suspension. I had lots of help from the seller Ben and he posted them out with various other fork seals pronto, I had them the very next day. Now I can start putting the forks back together :thumb2

Attachments

• Fork Top Nuts #1.jpg
    Fork Top Nuts #1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 655
  • Fork Top Nut #2.jpg
    Fork Top Nut #2.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 652
This may not look like much but is in fact a big step forward in restoring the bike, These are the two new fork top nuts. I had no idea where I was going to get these and what made it worse I didn't know what size they were or even exactly what they looked like, Ceriani made quite a few different types around this time. Loads of research on the net and I finally found them on Classic and Vintage Suspension. I had lots of help from the seller Ben and he posted them out with various other fork seals pronto, I had them the very next day. Now I can start putting the forks back together :thumb2

Beautiful!!!

Simon

Damper assembly's ready to go in the stanchion legs. Unbelievably these had survived un disturbed and un rusted laid in a small wooden draw for decades :eek: As far as I could tell, all the parts were in the correct order, all they needed was a wash off in fresh solvent (my favourite, petrol).

Everything was clean and all the working surfaces were lightly oiled with 3in1 oil but the first set would not go in, the piston was binding badly and so was the lower alloy sleeve, all they wanted to do was jam. In the end I had to resort to fine emery paper to smother down the piston and sleeve, then it slide in as if nothing had ever been wrong :blast

Attachments

• Damper Assembly.jpg
    Damper Assembly.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 587
  • Damper Assembly in.jpg
    Damper Assembly in.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 553
Fork legs just about full built but with no oil, drain plugs, mudguard studs or axle pinch bolts.

I'd show you a picture of them in the yokes on the bike but I can't get them in, they're too tight :rolleyes:

But they do look nice :D

Attachments

• Fork Legs.jpg
    Fork Legs.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 507
Great stuff and Ebbo, thanks for the link to the suspension guys, very useful for my Bultaco :thumb2

Andres
Talk to Ben, he’s a very helpful guy :thumb

You can get in touch via Facebook too

Great stuff ebbo....:clap

When you started this I really thought that you had your work cut out, but it's now all coming together nicely.

Very well done Sir......:thumb2

I’ve just done my Suzuki Kettle forks.
Remove the clamp bolts and wedge the yoke clamps with a flat screwdriver blade. It won’t need to be knocked in very hard so be careful (of course). Put the blade parallel to fork leg so don’t risk catching the chrome.

Back
Top Bottom