Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Nice work ebbo :)

It lubricates the grip getting it on and then, as it dries, sticks the grip to the bars/throttle. Better than any 'grip glue' :thumb2

Andres

Got it in one - I'm off for a perm this evening as it happens! :)

Regs

Simon

Ahhhh.....Thank you, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.....:thumb2

Yes, hairspray does com in cans ...

I'll get me coat!

... and for my next trick - anyone know how to fit transit bolts back into a washing machine before you move it, especially when you have a choice of three completely different sets because you're one of the nutters who never throws anything away!

Regs

Perplexed of Spain :)

It lubricates the grip getting it on and then, as it dries, sticks the grip to the bars/throttle. Better than any 'grip glue' :thumb2

Andres

A flat-blade screwdriver dipped in petrol works just as well and is less messy. :thumb

Mini update - The very rare and expensive clutch and choke lever assembly finally turned up from the ebay seller (around 3 weeks later than expected). I took it all apart and cleaned everything in petrol. The end of the lever was bent so I took a blowlamp to it and heated it up (I've never tried this before). It took a lot of heat before it felt like it was ready to bend back, the alloy goes into a plastic state, the thin section seems to get the hottest and easiest to bend so you need to take some care. I used a big ring spanner as the bending tool. Anyway, other than putting lots of mini dent into the softened alloy that had to be polished out it's turned out ok I think and will match the Brembo lever quite well.

Attachments

• Sellers Pic.jpg
    Sellers Pic.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 675
  • Clutch & Choke Lever.jpg
    Clutch & Choke Lever.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 700
Six weeks became 3 months, but finaly they are back and they look terrific, until you get close, then they look like well kept polished up 40 year old wheels :D

Before and after, for the life of me I can't get them to show in the right order :blast

Attachments

• 01 From This.jpg
    01 From This.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 514
  • 02 To this.jpg
    02 To this.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 542

Andres

I always used to use Fairy liquid - it does the same job if nobody uses hairspray; think about the environment and all that spray stuff!

I always used to use Fairy liquid - it does the same job if nobody uses hairspray; think about the environment and all that spray stuff!

And remember that every time someone says they don't believe in fairies, a fairy dies ...

Oh well ...

Cup of tea and new tires - Metzeler ME11 3.25x18 F and ME77 3.5x18 R tires plus new innertubes

Before and after pictures

Attachments

• 03 Before.jpg
    03 Before.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 489
  • 04 After.jpg
    04 After.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 473
Rear shocks were brand new Girling gas shocks purchased 40 years ago by the previous owner as part of his planned rebuild, but never used. Now, badly rusted they have been treated with Kurust and repainted. Surprisingly they still have strong damping and don't leak, but one of them will soon because the piston rod has some pitting :blast but they will do for now :thumb2

Attachments

• shocks repainted.jpg
    shocks repainted.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 456
This is the corrosion I was speaking of on the damper rod. It's deep and both shocks have the same problem, the seals will last no time at all. I suspect the rods are stainless steel and this is impurities that have rotted out over the last 40+ years, shame on whoever supplied Girling with these.

Attachments

• damper rod corrosion.jpg
    damper rod corrosion.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 621
I've replaced the spring that came with the original shocks with theses chrome ones that also came with the kit. Improvised a spring compressor and got the wife to insert the caps with a pair of pliers to save here fingers :D

Attachments

• Lash up spring compressor.jpg
    Lash up spring compressor.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 595
Shocks temp fitted, like the wheels, if you don't get too close they look very nice :D

Attachments

• Rear shocks fitted.jpg
    Rear shocks fitted.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 613

Back
Top Bottom