Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Update on the wiring:
I tried to fit the headlight switch but found it was a very loose fit in the shell, far too loose to be acceptable in any way. It is in all honesty a crumby switch, it’s difficult to believe they were like this when new back in the early 70’s. After a few days thought I came up with a plan to secure the switch into the shell using s/steel shims and the spring pressure of the switch assembly. It took a bit of lathe work to make the shims and reducing a plastic collar and a couple heat shrinks over the posts to take up slack, but it fits securely now, sadly it doesn’t improve the switches operation

This is all there is to hold the switch in the shell, a flat sided hole and two posts (I've put heat shrink on them to to take up slack).

Attachments

• 001 headlight switch hole and posts.jpg
    001 headlight switch hole and posts.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 570
Modded parts: the black plastic ring right of the switch plate has been reduced in height and a pair of s/steel shims have been made to act as bearing surfaces

Attachments

• 002 switch parts.jpg
    002 switch parts.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 574
Assembled into the headlamp shell, the switch looks good from the outside and the mods have done it the world of good

Attachments

• 004 switch assembled.jpg
    004 switch assembled.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 568
  • 005 light switch.jpg
    005 light switch.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 569
Then I had a change of plan: Screw terminals instead of flat terminals! :eek:

Off came the flat terminals and the new ones soldered on.

These are 5a brass terminals cut out of strips, tinned and soldered on :D

Attachments

• 006 change of plans.jpg
    006 change of plans.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 581
Wiring up the headlamp shell. The screw terminals seem to work well. If the first screw doesn’t get it, the second one will!

Top Centre - Idiot lights
Top left black drum - Ign switch
Top right - Headlight switch
Bottom left - Fuse board

Cotton Nappy on top - Protecting precious clocks from vicious garage door

I can't do a lot more with the wiring until I get the seat back, next week I'm told :comfort

Attachments

• 007 wiring in the shell.jpg
    007 wiring in the shell.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 566
Cheers Simon, how was your headlight switch back in the day?

Ha ha, I was remembering as I scrolled down yout posts. On my Mach III I stuck the whole thing together with insulating tape, including a sexy St. Andrew's cross - blue tape to match the paint - over the actual light lens itself. As the bike had Ulster reg plate but I lived in Oxford and only ever rode the bike in England and Wales it seemed apposite somehow! :)

Can¡t remember about the Desmo, the bike was US fro the start as the previous owner had converted it into a commuter hack - !!! - complete woth indicators, flat bars and a double seat with passenger footpegs mounted on the swingarm - a girlfriend commented that she'd had an 'interesting' ride and in my youthfull conceit I took it to mean me! :)

Have fun ebbo and keep 'em coming!

Simon

Cheers Simon, will do, not so much to do now :thumb

Cheers Simon, will do, not so much to do now :thumb

Just don't forget to dust down your camcorder, this will be one 'fist start' video I really don't want to miss! BTW my Desmo still had the original 'Silencio' silencer fitted and sounded like a fart in a bottle, while the Mach III sounded like the Tank Regiment getting rid of old sock munitions ...

Just got my KPH speedo back from A Gaggs, Nottingham who have converted it to a correct 1600 ratio MPH speedo (was 1000 ratio). Ducati had put an MPH sticker on a KPH speedo of the wrong ratio and sent it off to blighty :rolleyes::blast Anyway, chuffed to bits with this, 60mm Smiths speedos of this style are super rare. Even if one did show up on ebay it would likely cost a bomb

Btw, it is the same instrument pod made of hard rubber. I’ve cleaned it up and made a pair of bushes for the mounting bolts (8mm) and rubbed a little silicon grease in to it.

Before and after pictures

What was the turnaround time with Gaggs? I have a few Smiths speedos and tachos that are in need of refurbishment, I've used Ashley Pople in the past but he was a bit slow.

Bike's looking good, looking forward to a video of it's first start up. :thumb

What was the turnaround time with Gaggs? I have a few Smiths speedos and tachos that are in need of refurbishment, I've used Ashley Pople in the past but he was a bit slow.

Bike's looking good, looking forward to a video of it's first start up. :thumb

Around two weeks or so Number 6, I sent it via Post Office tracked and signed for delivery but was still sweating it would get lost in the post lol

Cheers, Martin

Around two weeks or so Number 6, I sent it via Post Office tracked and signed for delivery but was still sweating it would get lost in the post lol

Cheers, Martin

Here you go; everyone likes pictures. At the Benidorm TT last year.:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190303-165334.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-165334.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Screenshot_20190303-165326.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-165326.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Screenshot_20190303-165342.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-165342.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 338
Lovely isn't it! It's the 'right' colour and I love the piping on the seat and little headlamp 'peak'.

Was that a standard 'custom' version from Ducati or has the owner done that?

Andres

Just looked them up; it seems the seat piping is standard; but the headlamp not; v tasty all the same. The modern take on this seems quite close .:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190304-085427.jpg
    Screenshot_20190304-085427.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 504
So, would you believe it the seat came back! And doesn’t it look smart! New foam, new cover, new alloy trim!

It’s only taken six months (due to illness)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 480
And with the tank, it just looks great!

I've draped some wires about to make it look as if I'm doing something :green gri

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 447

Back
Top Bottom