Partioning a Mac

g00ner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking to create off road routes for a SatMap GPS via the cloud based mapping software Xpedition on an iMac.

A friend trying the above on his Macbook has no issues creating the route - all goes well until he attempts to save the created route which it won't do.. as a result he has 'partitioned' (?) his Mac to use Windows instead which allows the route to be saved with no issues.

To manage the same - can anyone advise the best way to allow Windows to run on my iMac? If it's relevant mine is a 2015 i5 1TB model. I 'm not overly computer savvy so step by step instructions would probably assist rather than 'just install xyz' as I wouldn't really know what that entailed..

CIA

I dont understand why he cant just save it ....

It may not be able to be opened without the software to read the file but it should still save as a file

try saving it to I cloud drive

We were trying last night for a few hours - hitting the 'export' or 'save route' options seemed to have no effect, couldn't see that the file had been saved anywhere even using finder to search for it. Booted the laptop up with Windows and it worked first time :confused:

Unless it's a browser issue it seems Xpedition may just work with Windows

Don't bother partitioning your Mac.

Get either VMWare or Parallels (I prefer VMWare) and load windows into that. Then you can use your Mac but use windows as a Virtual Machine, almost as an application.

It works really well and should get you around your issue, if you really need to use Windows.

My memory is a bit hazy on this but about 9 months ago I was doing something very similar but for my tom tom. In the end I saved the routes to a sd card and put that straight into the GPS. It worked just fine.

It saved me having to connect my tom tom to my laptop and download the routes.

Get either VMWare or Parallels (I prefer VMWare) and load windows into that. Then you can use your Mac but use windows as a Virtual Machine, almost as an application.

It works really well and should get you around your issue, if you really need to use Windows.
An necessarily complicated and expensive way to solve the problem. If you need windows on your Mac (and I doubt you do) Bootcamp is the way to go.

An necessarily complicated and expensive way to solve the problem. If you need windows on your Mac (and I doubt you do) Bootcamp is the way to go.

My daughter uses bootcamp for her windows OS ( work only) It has never been a problem. But as stolzy said do you really need to do that.

My daughter uses bootcamp for her windows OS ( work only) It has never been a problem. But as stolzy said do you really need to do that.

bootcamp assistant is the easiest way, but something is not right about the description.

Thanks for the advice - I'm not sure partitioning is the answer either but as stated its not my area of knowledge. I'll look into Botcamp or at least try and find out what it is...

As an aside I put View Ranger on my phone which promptly recognised and loaded the route.... Perhaps I should just save the money put aside for a SatMap and invest in a suitably protected old tablet ( phone screen is too small for my eyes)

:thumb

Looks like on a Mac you have to:

Save the route to a folder on Basecamp screen (I have one "EU Routes")

Highlight the route(s) and from the top Basecamp menu bar click:

File>
Export Selected User Data>

Then choose the location on your MacBook which you want to store routes in.
Then, when you want to E-mail the route - pick it up in that location.

Al

I don't want to have to boot into Windows just to use an application then boot into MacOS afterwards. I have them open together. Not that expensive really.

Although, I can't remember the last time I 'had' to use Windows. I occasionally open it just to do the updates.

Thank you chaps - must confess I hadn't made much sense of it so I booted the idea of a satmap into touch. I've used ViewRanger on iPhone using routes emailed to me quite successfully and have today acquired a Garmin gpsmap 62s. I'll see how this goes..

I've started using ViewRanger. Will be using it next week for the first time in the field, so to speak. I just hope I can understand it.

Back
Top Bottom