Garmin Virb 360 Camera - Set up and configuration

Just checked camera and set on standard 360 degrees 4K at 30 fps stitched with a 128GB card it'll give 3 Hours 19 Minutes of continuous footage.

The internal battery won't last that long though, so need the external battery pack to keep it going, which should last at least 10 hours on it's own

Good news is my Garmin Virb XE memory cards work in it, and I have two of those. So I can use those when on the Africa Twin which should give me over 6.5 hours of footage.

That's a lot of crap to sift through when I get home.... haha

Interesting I have the two Virbe XE setup now this is looking expensive.

Well, yes it isn't cheap...

But with this setup you can walk away from your bike and still have autonomous 360 degree footage of whatever you're up to on foot, the scenery, the adventure. :D

Then jump back on your bike and you've got your Garmin XE's providing backup HD video of traffic front and rear while on the bike.

Thats a lot of video protection :D

..... and when you get home you can scroll through the 360 video footage and be a ghost pillion passenger on the very same ride you did earlier, but now having a good look around at all the stuff you missed ... haha

Perfect :D

I do appreciate that you really dont need all this stuff to ride your bike. But if its all set up passively, whereby it just works, then you get the bonus of going through old files later in life and bring back the memories.

.... and show your mates that 'epic' moment when it happens fleetingly.

Well I decided to upgrade my ageing Dell XPS 15-L502X, Windows 10, i5-2430 (2.4 ghz laptop) with 4GB RAM

As good as it's been, the keyboard is starting to wear out and it just isn't up to the job of processing 4K 360 Video footage.

So I decided to stick with Dell, as I've been using them for the past 15 years.

Just ordered a shiny new Dell XPS 15-7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, Windows 10, 16GB DDR4-2400MHz (but plan on upgrading to 32GB), with borderless InfinityEdge UHD (4K) touch display and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5.

This now meets the recommended requirement spec for Garmin Virb Edit software and should make editing video's a pain free experience.

With a bit of luck....

£1800 for the laptop, 'SAVE12' Coupon valid until December 27th, (saving £ 216), Free Delivery, and I'll stick it through my company and get the VAT back (saving another £ 316).

So I should only pay around £ 1270 which isn't too bad, and my ageing kit gets a refresh. :thumb

Another step forward in this expensive game I'm playing... :nenau

This is out of my budget. But I am really impressed. I ride with a camera always (a little Drift Stealth 2). But i really surprised myself when i clicked onto the youtube video and zoomed-in and panned around. Wow. This has to be the way to go! I can see your attraction to it.

The quality in the first video was good (bike mounted onto the AT). But the second, helmet mounted not so good. Presumably this is down to setting chosen on the camera?

I'm with MikeO on the Telly Tubby image factor, but i also admit it fits well with the Nex helmet and knowing the results you're getting it could be tolerated :)

Keep us posted!

This is out of my budget. But I am really impressed. I ride with a camera always (a little Drift Stealth 2). But i really surprised myself when i clicked onto the youtube video and zoomed-in and panned around. Wow. This has to be the way to go! I can see your attraction to it.

The quality in the first video was good (bike mounted onto the AT). But the second, helmet mounted not so good. Presumably this is down to setting chosen on the camera?

I'm with MikeO on the Telly Tubby image factor, but i also admit it fits well with the Nex helmet and knowing the results you're getting it could be tolerated :)

Keep us posted!

Indeed, it isn't cheap. Other than the cost of actually buying the camera and the storage card and the cables and the camera mounting adaptors, the main cost is being able to process the data and then upload it to YouTube so people can see it.

You need Processing POWER, and lots of it, especially if you want the higher levels of frame rates or Quad HD (as the data crunching 'stitching' has to be done at home on your PC). I'm just buying a 'recommended' level 4K screen laptop and it's RRP is around £1800. The Macbook level would be around £2700..... and that's not even considering storage. You potentially need TERABYTES of external storage, and that isn't cheap either.

Luckily I do have a 4K TV, but in reality I need a seperate 4K monitor so that I can do this video editing without upsetting the main household when favourite Netflix movies are being watched...

Anyways, I was out today for the very first time using this setup on 4K at 30 frames per second. Once I've tested this I'll up the game and try it on 3K at 60 frames per second, and ultimately 5.7k at 30 frames per second. See what the differences are.

Most people I would imagine on YouTube are using the 4K at 30 FPS setting as it's stitched on the camera. But this new laptop should render it at the higher settings.... we shall see over Christmas.

The Nexx Helmet and Peak Visor is all new to me. So I don't know what wind resistance is due to the visor or the new 360 camera. but either way it wasn't terrible and perfectly acceptable at up to 80 mph on the Africa Twin.

I'll fit this camera to a regular helmet as well so it'll give me a point of reference.

All the lads seemed impressed with it today, strangely also with the new Nexx Helmet.

I'm waiting for my new spec Laptop to arrive and then I'll download the footage and upload it for you to take a look at.

I've also bought some more GoPro bike mounting options, so I can move the camera around to different positions until we find something that we like.

Indeed, it isn't cheap. Other than the cost of actually buying the camera and the storage card and the cables and the camera mounting adaptors, the main cost is being able to process the data and then upload it to YouTube so people can see it.

You need Processing POWER, and lots of it, especially if you want the higher levels of frame rates or Quad HD (as the data crunching 'stitching' has to be done at home on your PC). I'm just buying a 'recommended' level 4K screen laptop and it's RRP is around £1800. The Macbook level would be around £2700..... and that's not even considering storage. You potentially need TERABYTES of external storage, and that isn't cheap either.

Luckily I do have a 4K TV, but in reality I need a seperate 4K monitor so that I can do this video editing without upsetting the main household when favourite Netflix movies are being watched...

Anyways, I was out today for the very first time using this setup on 4K at 30 frames per second. Once I've tested this I'll up the game and try it on 3K at 60 frames per second, and ultimately 5.7k at 30 frames per second. See what the differences are.

Most people I would imagine on YouTube are using the 4K at 30 FPS setting as it's stitched on the camera. But this new laptop should render it at the higher settings.... we shall see over Christmas.

The Nexx Helmet and Peak Visor is all new to me. So I don't know what wind resistance is due to the visor or the new 360 camera. but either way it wasn't terrible and perfectly acceptable at up to 80 mph on the Africa Twin.

I'll fit this camera to a regular helmet as well so it'll give me a point of reference.

All the lads seemed impressed with it today, strangely also with the new Nexx Helmet.

I'm waiting for my new spec Laptop to arrive and then I'll download the footage and upload it for you to take a look at.

I've also bought some more GoPro bike mounting options, so I can move the camera around to different positions until we find something that we like.
I already have a fairly new Dell mobile workstation for my day job, so I have ample processing power . And an industrial web connection. But sadly too many other things to use up the budget for something like this.

Other mounting points sounds like a good idea. While you're getting familiar with it all.

Helmet also looks interesting . Still on a Neotec but for Canberra mounting I'd just 3D print something.

This had really piqued my interest. Thanks for sharing

I already have a fairly new Dell mobile workstation for my day job, so I have ample processing power . And an industrial web connection. But sadly too many other things to use up the budget for something like this.

Other mounting points sounds like a good idea. While you're getting familiar with it all.

Helmet also looks interesting . Still on a Neotec but for Canberra mounting I'd just 3D print something.

This had really piqued my interest. Thanks for sharing

Having a decent Laptop is probably two thirds the way there :D

I'll keep updating this thread, and probably start a new YouTube Channel specifically for 360 camera footage.

Keep you posted...

My new Laptop arrived today.

Which meant I can post the first 360 video footage from my rideout the other day.

Will post shortly a 10 minute snapshot which will give you an idea of what it's like sat on top of my head when out riding on a Winters day :D

Right then, here we go. Don't forget to scroll around the viewing screen on the video. You can look all around.

It was probably the worst day possible for this 360 camera debut. It was freezing, low sun, wet glaring roads, wind noise, and me not knowing how it all works.

The front camera had fogged up due to very low temperatures, fog and mist all morning.

The Camera is helmet mounted and settings are 360 degree, 4K at 30 FPS. Microphone was on rear camera only.

But anyways, its a start and I'll mess around with the settings and camera positions until I start getting something good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ifuJ_CBkPA" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is looking interesting to me, it says on BMW website that you can control it with the NAV6, I wonder if this means I can see cars behind me on the Nav6 screen ?????

This is looking interesting to me, it says on BMW website that you can control it with the NAV6, I wonder if this means I can see cars behind me on the Nav6 screen ?????

Ok... So yes you can control it on your Nav VI screen. Controls are Record On, Record Off and Take a Photo.

You cant use your Nav VI to view the video footage.

However, you can strap a phone or tablet to your bike and view the footage live using the Garmin app. Should you want to?

But nothing is going to be as good or as safe as your mirrors...

Ok... So yes you can control it on your Nav VI screen. Controls are Record On, Record Off and Take a Photo.

You cant use your Nav VI to view the video footage.

However, you can strap a phone or tablet to your bike and view the footage live using the Garmin app. Should you want to?

Interesting cheers Warlord massive help.

Was out again today with video settings in RAW 5.7K Unstitched.

Stitching being done on my new high spec laptop and its taking hours.... must be a massive amount of processing.

This is being done on a 7th Gen i7-7700 16GB DDR4 Ram and GeForce 1050 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card and 512GB SSD.

So my old laptop would not have done this... no chance.

I'll post a sample clip at 5.7K later this evening... see if there is much noticeable difference (front and rear footage at 4K).

Well that's a disappointment.

I tried twice to upload my RAW 360 footage to my new laptop in 5.7K and it failed. After 4 hours each time. I had two files, one being 35 minutes long, and the other being 1 hour 35 minutes. Both failed.

Don't know why, so I'm going to have to experiment more and try and find out whats going wrong. Bad news is I can't upload any of the footage from today so I reformatted the card in frustration, and will have to come back to this again.

I'm also not impressed on how long 5.7K footage takes to upload onto my new laptop. Using USB 3.1 ports and a U3 Class 10 A1 MicroSD Card (it's a 100mbps read rate), so it's fast.

Samsung also do a new SD-II card which reads up to 275 mbps but its £200+ just for the memory card.

Might have to stick to the standard 4K stitched setting, as at least I get the footage onto my laptop easier.... :(

I was looking at the new GoPro 360 camera and hadn't seen the Garmin version.

I thought about mounting it at the back on one of these... http://www.wizmount.com/products/cu2rack/

It's a pole mount you can mount onto the frame. My idea was to have it above the top box so it could look forwards and backwards at the same time...?

I was looking at the new GoPro 360 camera and hadn't seen the Garmin version.

I thought about mounting it at the back on one of these... http://www.wizmount.com/products/cu2rack/

It's a pole mount you can mount onto the frame. My idea was to have it above the top box so it could look forwards and backwards at the same time...?

Yes, I originally had the same idea for the BMW R1200GSA.

But look at the Cymark option which costs a lot less.

You could run the Garmin Vehicle Power lead straight to bike battery for power

http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/gsa-rack-mounted-go-pro-extendable-support-platform-209-p.asp

Back
Top Bottom