Garmin Virb 360 Camera - Set up and configuration

ok cant see it on thier site, will email and see if they sell it
tks

Its called a Powered Tripod Mount for Garmin Virb 360, IPX7 Water Resistant (but Garmin told me it'd be fine even in the worst of motorcycling rain, not jetwasher proof though).. 2 meter cable with USB Fitting on the end. Mine has a screw connector on the cable as well.

PART NUMBER: 010-12521-01

£39.99 on Garmin UK Shop

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/562253#overview

Its called a Powered Tripod Mount for Garmin Virb 360, IPX7 Water Resistant (but Garmin told me it'd be fine even in the worst of motorcycling rain, not jetwasher proof though).. 2 meter cable with USB Fitting on the end. Mine has a screw connector on the cable as well.

PART NUMBER: 010-12521-01

£39.99 on Garmin UK Shop

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/562253#overview

OK thanks, looks like the cable is part of the mount, I was looking for a usb to mini cable with the screw connector split you described,so won't work for me!
will come up with something to rival heath robinson , no doubt!

I've been putting together a mounting system for mine before we head off to the Dolomites for a week on the 1st June.

I've ended up with this so far.... I'm missing the pole tops with the hexagon tops (Doh...forgot to order them) so they are on the way before I test it.

It's a RAM 18" pole with the powered Garmin mount. When i tried it on the pole it was pretty good to be honest, but because of the adhesive RAM ball mount on the top of my top box being quite flexible it was pulsing towards me when I tested it. I've added the RAM claw which I had and second pole to another adhesive ball on the top box to stabilise it.

Once the last bits arrive I will stick it all together and take it out for a test ride. It would appear from the first attempt (I'll post it shortly) to be best placed slightly off to one side so you have a view of the road ahead.

Thoughts? (Apart from looking like a camera rig on the back of the bike... :) )

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 206
Warlord are you still around.....................

I am :)

Garmin Virb Edit Software has a known bug in it which corrupts my Virb XE and 360 editing.

They know about it and I'm waiting for a fix.

Until then I cant export anything to show you.

Here's the video. It's only a test ride so nothing exciting but gives you an idea....

https://youtu.be/50-gSdwoWt0

Thanks for posting that.

From a watching perspective, I think its better if the viewer can see the road ahead. Especially if watching from an accident perspective.

Try mounting the camera in front of you.

Second try on positioning which worked pretty well.... https://youtu.be/g6Uvkpjzrjk

I'm going to fix the support arm there which should stabilise it fairly solidly off the side of the top box.

The second angle after I stopped in the layby has an 18" RAM pole on a RAM Claw off the side of the crashbars...

I cannot understand where the jumping forward and back is coming from in the video, could it be the wind moving the setup.

I cannot understand where the jumping forward and back is coming from in the video, could it be the wind moving the setup.
I noticed that immediately too. Is it not just a low resonance from the suspension doing is thing and appears as a pulsing in the video?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As I mentioned earlier it's on the end of an 18" bouncy pole......

Now I've got the positioning fixed I'm going to attach a second pole mount to support the arm more solidly..

You lot are a hard audience..

As I mentioned earlier it's on the end of an 18" bouncy pole......

Now I've got the positioning fixed I'm going to attach a second pole mount to support the arm more solidly..

You lot are a hard audience..
I'm reading with interest. I really think the 360 cameras are the way to go.

I also think the pole is a good idea. Just not sure what it looks like? I mean, could I ride everywhere with that pole? Not sure yet.

Ref comments on the risk it might pose in a crash. I think it depends on how its actually fixed to the bike. Kinda needs to be a plastic bracket that will just give way when/if you meet it.

But it's a great position. I'm really impressed with the way the software manages to remove its own mounting! To this end, with the Virb being a tad expensive, I was personally looking at the Xiaomi camera because side on, it's little over 1cm thick, which has to be good. But yes, the Virb is the one to get.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'll get a shot of it once it's on. I needed to work out where it was going and need to trim one of the poles before I epoxy the clamps onto it. The mounts on the top box are adhesive RAM mounts which look fairly grippy but should give way if necessary. It's the fact that you can edit the shot you want after the event and capture those beautiful views in the mountains that slide down the side of the bike usually while your gopro just videos the road in front...

The other reason I wanted it on a pole and not on my helmet is that I'm attaching it to a powered mount so I don't have to worry about the battery...

I've also sorted the storage while travelling by buying a WD Wireless Passport Pro. Fantastic battery powered hard disk that has a SD card slot on the side. Fire it up, insert the SD card, hit the SD card button on the gizmo and it hoovers all the video off the card and stores it on the 2TB hard disk with no extra equipment needed. Will also stream video footage on it's own wifi network to iPhones, Laptops etc..

Like it or loath it this is what I've come up with... (Apologies for the messy garage..)

I'm using the following RAM parts, some of which I had already:

2 x 2.5" composite adhesive base with 1" ball (RAP-B-378)
1 x 18" Long Extension Pole with 1" and 1.5" Open Socket Ends (RAP-CB-201-18)
2 x Female Pipe Socket with Octagon Button (RAP-276)
3 x Single 1" Socket Arm with Octagon Base (RAP-B-200-1)
1 x 12.75" Long Extension Pole with 1" Diameter Ball Ends (RAP-BB-230-14)
1 x Medium Tough claw with 1" Rubber Ball (RAP-B-404)

It's not going to completely remove the vibration but puts the camera far enough to one side to get a good shot of the road, i can still use my topbox and the mount is powered and attached to the switched feed at the back of the KTM. The camera turns on automatically with the ignition...

Test ride tomorrow or Thursday....:popcorn

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0791.JPG