Garmin Virb 360 Camera - Set up and configuration

Handily there's a switched spare power supply under the saddle on the KTM. Doddle to wire that in... :D

As the weather at the moment is truly rubbish, not much riding or video being done.

But, I've planned a trip in May 2018 and intend to take the Garmin 360 camera for some truly epic footage.

Going to video in full 360 degree

- Wales Snowdonia National Park
- Northern Ireland NW200 route
- Scotland NC500 route including John O'Groats
- Scotland Cairngorms National Park
- England Kielder Forest
- England Hardknott Pass and Wrynose Pass
- England Lands End in Cornwall

So during May, early June this should be epic video footage with a bit of luck covering about 3000 miles

You'll be able to have a good look around on the video footage if you've not been there before :thumb2

Well that's a disappointment.

I tried twice to upload my RAW 360 footage to my new laptop in 5.7K and it failed. After 4 hours each time. I had two files, one being 35 minutes long, and the other being 1 hour 35 minutes. Both failed.

Don't know why, so I'm going to have to experiment more and try and find out whats going wrong. Bad news is I can't upload any of the footage from today so I reformatted the card in frustration, and will have to come back to this again.

I'm also not impressed on how long 5.7K footage takes to upload onto my new laptop. Using USB 3.1 ports and a U3 Class 10 A1 MicroSD Card (it's a 100mbps read rate), so it's fast.

Samsung also do a new SD-II card which reads up to 275 mbps but its £200+ just for the memory card.

Might have to stick to the standard 4K stitched setting, as at least I get the footage onto my laptop easier.... :(

I was reading that it is pointless to get cards that read too fast, as the Action camera cannot do that speed, but article below is talking about Hero 6 as a model, but the write-up about the cards is very helpful.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/memory-cards-gopro-hero6-black/

I've been trying to resolve another issue in the meantime for when I'm 'on-tour'.

Ideally I dont want to be riding around with an expensive laptop banging around on my bike.

So I was wondering if I could just take my 5TB Seagate External Hard Drive and move the MicroSD video file data direct. With no need for a laptop.

Well in short, it could be possible to use my Samsung Galaxy S8 mobile phone.

Seagate Expansion 5TB uses USB 3.0 and is formatted direct from factory.

But when you use the Samsung S8 USB C port, it says the Expansion Drive is Corrupt and needs reformatting. Unfortunately, reformatting using the Samsung S8 will only format in MBR reducing the disk size to 2TB Maximum.

I needed to Format the Seagate Drive on my laptop in GPT and exFAT.

Now my Samsung S8 can see the full 5TB as External Storage.

My issue now is that the USB C port is occupied by Seagate Expansion drive and phone isn't being charged.

So I dug out the Samsung Inductive Charging Station and sat the phone on top for power. So thats sorted.

I've purchased a USB 3.0 splitter to add a MicroSD card reader and in theory, my phone can then transfer video files from the camera memory cards direct to the Expansion Storage Device.

This means no laptop or extra crap to take.

I'm just trying to whittle all this tech stuff down to a useable setup that won't detract from the riding experience.

Keep it Simple.

Cameras
Mobile Phone
External Storage Device

Damn good research :beerjug:

Its actually a complete pain in the neck. :D

The issue I'm going to have is...

A) What to record?

i) Everything and then edit later?
ii) Limited recording but risk missing an 'event'
iii) Mash up, bike cameras on all the time. 360 helmet cam only during special moments.

B) How to store all this data and keep it simple and time friendly.

i) So I dont piss everyone off faffing with camera tech instead of enjoying my adventure.
ii) So its easy set and forget
iii) Reliable with minimum points of failure.

C) Keep the costs from going ballistic

i) Finding a sensible compromise with existing tech we've all got
ii) Not carrying £1000's worth of vid processing equipment.
iii) Make it work without to many compatibility issues

Its actually a complete pain in the neck. :D

The issue I'm going to have is...

A) What to record?

i) Everything and then edit later?
ii) Limited recording but risk missing an 'event'
iii) Mash up, bike cameras on all the time. 360 helmet cam only during special moments.

B) How to store all this data and keep it simple and time friendly.

i) So I dont piss everyone off faffing with camera tech instead of enjoying my adventure.
ii) So its easy set and forget
iii) Reliable with minimum points of failure.

C) Keep the costs from going ballistic

i) Finding a sensible compromise with existing tech we've all got
ii) Not carrying £1000's worth of vid processing equipment.
iii) Make it work without to many compatibility issues

Hope you find a way, im sticking to a little gopro 6 until I get better and then maybe move on to 360, but when prices drop, Gopro 6 was a good deal at 429€

Ok, it works.

I filled a 128GB MicroSD memory card with Virb 360 video footage at 4K Stitched (which technically is 4K, but video resolution is only 1080p at best).

Installed the memory card directly into my Samsung S8 Mobile phone MicroSD Card Slot and then connected the Seagate 5TB Expansion drive to the USB C Port.

From the phone screen, using My Files, I could then transfer the data from the MicroSD Card directly to the Seagate 5TB Expansion drive.

128GB of data transfer took 1 Hour 8 Minutes.

>>>>>>>

What I want to do next is get a USB 3.0 Splitter so I don't have to repeatedly install the MicroSD Cards in the phone (it's to fragile for repeated attempts). That'll give me a simple way to transfer the data at the end of each day

Just to add one more weirdness into this mix.

I purchased Sandisk MicroSD Cards, all three cards are identical and can be used in any of my bike cameras.

However, if you format the MicroSD Card in the Garmin 360 camera.... it then can't be read in the Garmin Virb X or XE Camera's.

The Virb X or XE shows "No Card" in the display. It also won't then allow you to format the card either in the camera, so you're stuffed. :nenau

I had to take the MicroSD Card back to my Laptop and reformat the card as 'exFAT' before the Garmin Virb X and XE could read the card again.

This is not something you want to find out on Tour, as it's a pain in the neck.

So basically, don't mix the cards around between the camera types. :blast

My Anker USB 3.0 Port arrived today.

So I had a chance to set it all up.

The idea being, this is all you need to transfer video files onto mass storage while on tour. It'll keep your camera memory cards free each day for fresh recordings. Using the Anker Port means you don't have to keep trying to access the Mobile Phone MicroSD Card Slot, which is fragile.

1) USB Adapter for your Mobile Phone
2) Anker USB 3.0 Multi Port
3) Kingston MicroSD USB 3.0 Card Reader
4) Seagate Expansion 5TB Drive (Powered Independently)
5) Mobile Phone

So now I can use my phone screen and see the 5TB Storage and move files off the camera cards at the end of each day.

It's quite compact setup and doesn't need a laptop.

Attachments

• Seagate.jpg
    Seagate.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 405
  • Seagate1.jpg
    Seagate1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 384
  • Seagate2.jpg
    Seagate2.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 422
My Anker USB 3.0 Port arrived today.

So I had a chance to set it all up.

The idea being, this is all you need to transfer video files onto mass storage while on tour. It'll keep your camera memory cards free each day for fresh recordings. Using the Anker Port means you don't have to keep trying to access the Mobile Phone MicroSD Card Slot, which is fragile.

1) USB Adapter for your Mobile Phone
2) Anker USB 3.0 Multi Port
3) Kingston MicroSD USB 3.0 Card Reader
4) Seagate Expansion 5TB Drive (Powered Independently)
5) Mobile Phone

So now I can use my phone screen and see the 5TB Storage and move files off the camera cards at the end of each day.

It's quite compact setup and doesn't need a laptop.

Mate you should get a camping car, far less hassle :hide

Mate you should get a camping car, far less hassle :hide

It's only hassle when I'm at home, not knowing how it's all going to work.

Once I've figured all this out, when on the road, it'll be lightweight, easy and no trouble.

If it becomes trouble, It's still lightweight so I'll just forget it and carry on with my riding.

I'm hanging on like a dog to a bone because in the next couple of seasons I'll be doing some 'once in a lifetime' trips. So want to record it.

It's only hassle when I'm at home, not knowing how it's all going to work.

Once I've figured all this out, when on the road, it'll be lightweight, easy and no trouble.

If it becomes trouble, It's still lightweight so I'll just forget it and carry on with my riding.

I'm hanging on like a dog to a bone because in the next couple of seasons I'll be doing some 'once in a lifetime' trips. So want to record it.

Totally understand your point of view , thats why I am starting with the gopro, and lets see where it all ends up :beerjug:

Ok, it works.

I filled a 128GB MicroSD memory card with Virb 360 video footage at 4K Stitched (which technically is 4K, but video resolution is only 1080p at best).

Installed the memory card directly into my Samsung S8 Mobile phone MicroSD Card Slot and then connected the Seagate 5TB Expansion drive to the USB C Port.

From the phone screen, using My Files, I could then transfer the data from the MicroSD Card directly to the Seagate 5TB Expansion drive.

128GB of data transfer took 1 Hour 8 Minutes.

>>>>>>>

What I want to do next is get a USB 3.0 Splitter so I don't have to repeatedly install the MicroSD Cards in the phone (it's to fragile for repeated attempts). That'll give me a simple way to transfer the data at the end of each day

I’m interested to know How many hours worth of 4K you can you fit onto a 128gb card please.

The internal battery is 1250 mAh which supposedly lasts around 1 hour at 4K filming. Some people that will be enough, maybe with a couple of replacement batteries?

But I know that I never remember to charge multiple batteries, one is enough, so I've bought the Garmin Tripod Power Mount which has a waterproof cradle that the Virb 360 unit sits in, and then a 2 meter USB power cable to feed off.

I'm then going to plug that USB cable into a 20,000 mAh waterproof, shock proof battery supply which should last at least 5-6 hours if not more. The cable is split about 12 inches from the cradle with a waterproof screw fixing. So in theory, I can put the helmet on, and then screw in the cable connector which then leads into my back pack.

I know the Nexx XD1 helmet has space for a battery pack inside the helmet, but I'm not convinced that's an idea I like?

So I'll see how it goes first.

Been reading this thread with interest, I dabble a little toe with a drift camera, nothing more, but would like to avoid having to swap batteries so often, the powerbank and usb cable is interesting, especially the usb cable to IPX7 with a screw connector, where did you source this?

ta

Been reading this thread with interest, I dabble a little toe with a drift camera, nothing more, but would like to avoid having to swap batteries so often, the powerbank and usb cable is interesting, especially the usb cable to IPX7 with a screw connector, where did you source this?

ta

Its a Garmin 360 Cable Option. Power to USB

Back
Top Bottom