R1200R plusses and minuses

snappo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I took my mate to Chester Motorrad today to look at bikes, he's a total novice rider but he's nearly 50 and has been driving for more than 30 years, currently doing 35k ish a year on average, so he's not exactly green. He sat on a few bikes, and the two he liked best were the R1200R and the S1000XR - he's not short of cash, so it's not a budget issue, he can get whatever he wants really.

So, what is the 1200R like to live with, does it have any foibles or faults, and how are they to ride for a few hours at a time. I'm hoping to get him through a test so we can get out and get some miles under him, as we're planning a joint 50th birthday trip over to the US in 2019!

Lets hear what you've got to say!!

Cheers!

:beerjug:

R1200R - brilliant bikes, aren't really suited to tall chaps. Ok for a beginner that'll set the mode to rain until they've built up confidence.

S1000XR - brilliant bikes, far better suited to tall chaps. Daft for a beginner as they're mental

Stick a screen on and will tour better than a GS.

R1200R is more than he will need as a beginner. Great for short people. I toured Europe in July this year and I thought very comfy and I only have the low seat which is thinner.

I had an R and I loved it.
Touratech comfort seat helped as this was pre hip replacement. Not essential though.
A Cee Baileys touring screen that bolts on directly is the best weather protection option and doesn’t spoil the look of the bike.

He’s a touch shorter than me, probably about 5ft 10, a is not tosser sized ( runs 40-50 miles a week !). I did think it could benefit from a screen, but other than that he looked pretty comfy on it.

What are the luggage options like?

He’s a touch shorter than me, probably about 5ft 10, a is not tosser sized ( runs 40-50 miles a week !). I did think it could benefit from a screen, but other than that he looked pretty comfy on it.

What are the luggage options like?
No problem then.

There's the expensive BMW luggage, Givi top box & V35 cases, SW-Motech frames to take older Givi E360 etc.

Take care though if he's thinking of getting the BMW Akrapovic can as that doesn't work with the Givis (I've learnt the hard way)

New rider - S1000XR Wow, hope he's a sensible chap but hats off for getting stuck in.:beerjug:

I have a R1200R sport with all the bells and whistles! It’s a great bike exactly same engine as GS but I would think it would be much easier to handle for a novice. I haven’t done a long tour on it yet but have a touring screen to fit when I do. The small standard screen is fine at legal speeds but I suspect it would be a bit wearing on a long motorway journey.
Regading luggage Shad is the way to go I have the 39litre top box with the white inserts to match the bike colour. Check out fast bike bits in Wales , much cheaper than Bmw stuff and looks better.

I have an R and an RT as well as as GSA, and I still like to run around on the R, it’s not intimidating, it’s just a nice bike. What it does not have is the presence of a GS or RT, so motorists don’t see it as a bigger bike. Which means you have to be more aware of things around you.

:nenau

The new LC version is a brilliant bike - and surprisingly fast and nimble.

But - Perhaps cut his teeth on the previous TwinCam model, bought judiciously at this time of year, if he wants to change - he won't lose a bundle on it?

The TC 1200R is a stonking machine also.

Al

Once he's passed his test some test rides will help him decide. Personally I'd steer well clear of the XR with his lack of experience and wonder whether something like a F800 would be a better first bike than either of them, which he could change once he'd got some miles under his belt and if he got a newish used one he wouldn't loose much either. 90 hp and 203kg wet would be a lot more suitable IMO.

I agree on this comment. I have the twin cam fitted with a small screen. The seat height is around 780-800mm. Its fitted with panniers and a top box when touring. I have done 2 European tours on it. Last one 3000miles in May no problems. The GS and RT would be a better bike for motorway protection but I like the compromise that gives me a lighter bike. I have ridden the LC version and thats even better in all respects. It is heavier than the TC but by other BM's its the lightest LC model.

You won't go wrong with either model. Nice problem to have.

The new LC version is a brilliant bike - and surprisingly fast and nimble.

But - Perhaps cut his teeth on the previous TwinCam model, bought judiciously at this time of year, if he wants to change - he won't lose a bundle on it?

The TC 1200R is a stonking machine also.

Al

If he decides to go for 1200 R LC I have 2015 Exclusive model with 9K miles for sale. Loads of extras £8K

If he decides to go for 1200 R LC I have 2015 Exclusive model with 9K miles for sale. Loads of extras £8K

Recent pic. Extras include:

Arrow silencer plus as new standard
Puig hugger
Touratech cylinder protectors
Givi top box mount and box
Fender extender
Crud catcher
Givi touring screen with added winglet/spoiler (not fitted)
Givi 'click' release tankbag (unused)
New pair of Bridgestone T30 Evo fitted < 1K ago
Wired for optimate

I have removed the pannier rails as they don't look great, but they are in a box for whoever buys

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 893
...with his lack of experience and wonder whether something like a F800 would be a better first bike than either of them, which he could change once he'd got some miles under his belt ....

I have a lovely F800ST with luggage sat in my garage waiting for the spring to be sold. If he wants to take it off my hands....

I had an R1200R LC which I used for a two up trip to Switzerland and Italy last summer....I bought it with hardly any miles on the clock, kitted it out with Givi luggage because I prefer it to the BMW offerings and we set off. At the end of the trip I only had one realistic complaint and that was, for two up riding I found it a little cramped....on the other hand, the ride, handling, performance, brakes, all of it were as much as I could have asked for, I thought it a brilliant bike... In particular, I rated the cruise control and the operation of the Sat Nav very highly.......before I bought it I thought the cruise control would be a pointless gimick, having used it though....it's brilliant.

I sold that (perfect) bike to Bones, simply because my use of a modern bike is very sporadic and I wasn't sure how the LC motor would react to being left idle for long periods....so I bought another hexhead GS....found it just as uncomfortable as the previous GS and moved that one on in favour of a 2,000m from new DOHC Hexhead R1200R, which for my use seems to be the best compromise (kitted out with Givi luggage again). I like this one so much I use it far more than I anticipated, it's vastly more comfortable (for me) than the GS and a real pleasure to ride....I find myself inventing reasons to take it out, and I haven't done that for a while. The 1200R is a seriously underrated bike in this country....aparrently it was a much better seller on the continent....as long as your mate finds a decent well looked after bike, he can't really go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom