Grossglockner hotel

nightflight61

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I read somewhere ages ago about a hotel near the Grossglockner, which if you stayed in the hotel, you get a free pass to ride the Grossglockner. Is anyone familiar with such a hotel, or did I dream it?

PM The Grey One,he used to own a hotel that used to issue a tourism discount card to guests.
He should be able to give you the precise info you need.

There is defo a hotel up top, next to the turning for the little motorcycle museum display/carpark (up a cobbled road). Snow any time of the year though and probably not open until at least mid May. Got photos somehwere with snow still lying mid day in July 09.
If heading that way there is also a glacier, restaurant and a few shops.

Went over this year in sunshine :)

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index

If you want to stop somewhere what about the Edelweisshutte at the Bikers View Point on the Grossglockner www.edelweissspitze.at/en , needs to be booked well in advance but well worth it for the views especially if you can be arsed to get up to see the sunrise

Grossglockner

We stayed here last year, its at the foot of the gross on the road from Zell am zee, decent price good food and a spa as well, no free ticket for the pass but they do sell them discounted.

Attachments

• 20431765_1422361311187140_8541042071419958091_n.jpg
    20431765_1422361311187140_8541042071419958091_n.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 554
Quite a few of the hotels in Zell am See and Kaprun include a visitors pass in with the cost which although it doesn't give you free access to the Grossglockner it gives you a discount and if you are in the area for a few days and intend travelling over the Grossglockner more than once it is worthwhile buying a 30 day pass

if you are in the area for a few days and intend travelling over the Grossglockner more than once it is worthwhile buying a 30 day pass

It is a bit like the Stelvio to me, tick it off the list and don't go back unless it happens to actually be between two places you plan on visiting on another trip. It is a much better road than the Stelvio, but suffers the same fate of having a lot of traffic and being a bit more like a theme park than an Alpine pass for my liking.

It is a bit like the Stelvio to me, tick it off the list and don't go back unless it happens to actually be between two places you plan on visiting on another trip. It is a much better road than the Stelvio, but suffers the same fate of having a lot of traffic and being a bit more like a theme park than an Alpine pass for my liking.

You got your timings wrong then! Go early or late and all the coaches are eleswhere. Go in early or late season and its fine too. I have ridden it loads of times and each time is different. I agree its not a tight and twisty as some but huge fun anyway. Expensive though.

John

Thanks

Many thanks to everyone for your contributions. We're actually planning our trip for summer 2019 (2018 going back to Spain), so we've got plenty of time.

+1 for the Sonnegg. Stayed there last July and they provided free passes for the Grossglockner and organised a sunrise ride to the top at 04.00hrs. Early I know but was one of the highlights of the trip absolutely fantastic. They even supplied free coffee and buns at the top highly recommended. Enjoy ur trip and safe biking.

Back
Top Bottom