Africa Twin Annoying Issue

Well i for one would rater fill up a bit more often than haul 30 kilos of fuel around
Modern world plenty of fuel stations you just don't need the range :aidan

30 kilos is about 40 liters. most bikes take about 17 - 21 liters. A air cooled 1200 gsa will hold 36 liters (they state 33) So thats a 14 liter difference about 10 kilos. Personally I never feel any difference between empty and full. Mabey thats because I weigh 120 kilos dressed in my bike gear. I perefer to have the range. I fill up every 5 days. A standard gs would do me 3 days. Thats only comuteing. JJH

Try doing RT 40 in Argentina with just 19 litres - good luck with that; especially when the next fuel station has none. This happens in places like that. I'm off there again with my old Africa twin and I have a 43 litre tank because its necessary. :thumb

Honda have addressed the problem (somewhat) with the new L2 Africa twin - but its too tall for me; taller than my 1190R :(

Try doing RT 40 in Argentina with just 19 litres - good luck with that; especially when the next fuel station has none. This happens in places like that. I'm off there again with my old Africa twin and I have a 43 litre tank because its necessary. :thumb

Honda have addressed the problem (somewhat) with the new L2 Africa twin - but its too tall for me; taller than my 1190R :(

But by the time you've added proper crash bars, skid plate, farkles, luggage and shite.... it'll be 3 inches lower.

You can still get caught out with a big tank mind you
I did but ask the locals you will soon find some...So in most places it's not a problem

Bikes with bigger tanks are bigger full stop...Hence the increase in weight and size
i will take the smaller more nimble bike every time

Attachments

• P1040669Large.JPG
    P1040669Large.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 373
I agree with your sentiment Garry. My tank weighs less than the original (XRV750) when empty and the fuel is lower down so balance is better. Its your choice to fill right up or not - at least you have the option. I was in South America five years ago and lots of fuel stations were empty - waiting for a delivery. The cars drivers were camped out in them waiting. This has scarred my mind I'm afraid. I took a KTM 990 with 45 litre Safari tanks and on one occasion I had to do 450 miles before I got fuel.

I would take a smaller bike but I have to haul around wifey on the back :)

Looks OK to my eye ........

Attachments

• 43 litre tank.jpg
    43 litre tank.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 356
Its the motorway that kills me, poodling round france back roads can get 200 miles but whilst on the motorway 120 and its flashing to fill up........

On the long trips next year to the pyrennies etc i will take the GSA or my mates will get the hump stopping all the time :D

I’m looking forward to your next thread..... running out of fuel whilst overtaking in the wet :augie

Overtaking in the wet was on my BMW you knob jockey.

Running out of fuel is on my Africa Twin.

So you'll be in Stalker Mode for quite some time dew puff, don't dry out will you.

Fill up rr, range 125. Which is pretty much how long I can go before the body reminds me I'm no longer in my 20's any more.

If, I take it easy on the gsa I once got 75 mpg; but life is too short, unless you're a dwarf.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Overtaking in the wet was on my BMW you knob jockey.

Running out of fuel is on my Africa Twin.

So you'll be in Stalker Mode for quite some time dew puff, don't dry out will you.

Sensitive, much? :comfort:D

Well i for one would rater fill up a bit more often than haul 30 kilos of fuel around
Modern world plenty of fuel stations you just don't need the range :aidan

You've obviously never been in the north of Scotland on a Sunday

This guys vlogs are great. He's riding around the world on an Africa Twin.

This is his 50000klm review , scroll to 8mins 10 secs and he will give you a very good assessment of the fuel range "issue" when world travelling , although riding on a Sunday in Wales isn't covered . :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JOH2Dkb2Zr8

Coincidentally the only time I have ever run out of fuel in 30+ Yrs of riding bikes was earlier this year , in Wales , on a Sunday . I had to push my very heavy Crosstourer about 1/2 mile to a petrol station. This was nothing to do with its 'notoriously' low fuel range and purely because I was pissed off when I stopped at the previous petrol station 40miles earlier and rode off in a fit of pique without filling up. The lady refused to activate the pump until I got off the bike first, shouting at me over the tannoy like I was a naughty child and then when I complied she still refused to let me fill up until I removed my helmet even though it's a Roof Boxer with the chin lid flipped right around so in effect an open face lid . :anger::anger:

This guys vlogs are great. He's riding around the world on an Africa Twin.

This is his 50000klm review , scroll to 8mins 10 secs and he will give you a very good assessment of the fuel range "issue" when world travelling , although riding on a Sunday in Wales isn't covered . :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JOH2Dkb2Zr8

Coincidentally the only time I have ever run out of fuel in 30+ Yrs of riding bikes was earlier this year , in Wales , on a Sunday . I had to push my very heavy Crosstourer about 1/2 mile to a petrol station. This was nothing to do with its 'notoriously' low fuel range and purely because I was pissed off when I stopped at the previous petrol station 40miles earlier and rode off in a fit of pique without filling up. The lady refused to activate the pump until I got off the bike first, shouting at me over the tannoy like I was a naughty child and then when I complied she still refused to let me fill up until I removed my helmet even though it's a Roof Boxer with the chin lid flipped right around so in effect an open face lid . :mad::rob
Code:
You showed her who’s boss, that’ll learn her.

Back
Top Bottom