Optimate III and F700GS

powelly999

Reaction score
Merry Christmas all.
Recently purchased my, new to me 2014 F700GS and was reading that BMW do a battery charger for use with the CanBus system. Do any of you know if I can use my older Optimate III charger with the bike or will it mess the CanBus system up?

Thanks in advance :thumb2

I use an optimate 4 in the non canbus mode via a direct fused lead to the battery on my my2016 and now my2018 1200GS without any problems so don't see why you can't use yours in the same way. The canbus ones are designed to be plugged into the aux socket and then charge your battery via the canbus system rather than direct to the battery.

I use an optimate 4 in the non canbus mode via a direct fused lead to the battery on my my2016 and now my2018 1200GS without any problems so don't see why you can't use yours in the same way. The canbus ones are designed to be plugged into the aux socket and then charge your battery via the canbus system rather than direct to the battery.

Thanks, I thought it would be okay, just wondered about the voltage increase whilst charging.

No just use the lead [around £10] as suggested theres no point purchasing a second unit

Merry Christmas all.
Recently purchased my, new to me 2014 F700GS and was reading that BMW do a battery charger for use with the CanBus system. Do any of you know if I can use my older Optimate III charger with the bike or will it mess the CanBus system up?

Thanks in advance :thumb2

+ 1 I use direct lead with no probs on 2013 F 700

++1. I use an Optimate lead direct to the battery on my 2008 F800GS with no problems.

++1. I use an Optimate lead direct to the battery on my 2008 F800GS with no problems.

+++1 i use an optimate lead direct to the battery on my 08 F650 gs.

Furthermore I use the optimate lead to reverse power my electric inflator as part of my puncture kit. Reason being small electric pumps run through the canbus “ blow” the overload as soon as you switch them on.

+++1 i use an optimate lead direct to the battery on my 08 F650 gs.

Furthermore I use the optimate lead to reverse power my electric inflator as part of my puncture kit. Reason being small electric pumps run through the canbus “ blow” the overload as soon as you switch them on.

Same here. Much better than the CO2 cartridges as they are incapable of inflating the tyre to the correct pressure . Nippy Norman has got free postage on too ATM until the 1st of Jan

http://www.nippynormans.com/wunderlich/r1200-adv-04-to-07/airman-electric-air-pump

Many thanks to you all

Optimate lead now connected direct to battery, but need to clean the bloody thing now after today's run out, the bike that is!

Can anyone tell me if it is ok to use an Optimate 1+ on my 2013 F700GS please ?

Thank you.
I will be keeping the battery wire connected at all times and charging when not in use which, has been quite a lot lately .

Back
Top Bottom