PCH info reqd

And don't forget Utah 12 from Torrey to Bryce Canyon. It's a fantastic road and Bryce Canyon is stunning :beerjug:

Ill echo that, I'll also say don't bother going as far south as LA and head inland somewhere around Morro Bay. I'll also add that whilst everybody goes to the GC , Zion and Bryce ( I do like Bryce, so nice I went twice ;) ) i've fonder memories of Canyon de Chelly which isn't too far south from Monument and also Mesa Verde NP further north . Canyon de Chelly is largely unspoilt , beautiful and you get a real sense of what it must have been like to live there before the white men came, likewise the cave dwellings at Mesa Verde.

if you want to avoid the crowds at GC i was told the North rim was quieter , however the HW67 down to the rim (which in itself is supposed to be a great road ) was closed due to snow and the JAcobs Lake campground was shut so i took one of the many trails down to the rim and was on my own at a fantastic lookout. I then rode the 60-70 miles up to Kanab & stayed there the night and never saw another car en route.

There is just too much to see in the Western USA . HAve a great trip :thumb

EDIT : Just posted and then saw your last post , what a bummer :blast:(:(

Mesa Verde is fantastic :bow We have a night at Chinle in June to visit Canyon de Chelly and then a night in Silver City, hopefully to see some more Indian dwellings in the Gila Forrest, before heading down to Tombstone

I’ve been to both rims of the Grand Canyon before and the North Rim is quieter, but can be quite a detour. We have two nights on the South Rim this time so we can go walking for a day. Like Yosemite, once you walk away from the viewing points, the crowds quickly disappear

d4ee4516823a0532cacf623c93b5b925.jpg

cc0569d9c454645693685a7ed96b27d8.jpg

Mesa Verde is fantastic :bow We have a night at Chinle in June to visit Canyon de Chelly

I don't know about these days but when we stopped the RV in Chinle in 2006 it was a complete shithole.

Bad news, due to breaking my wrist at work last week I've got to postpone the trip to the states, hopefully I can reschedule the trip for next year.
Oh, what a bugger, I hope it isn't too serious and it heals well. Enjoy your trip when you do go, it's looks great trip.
:beerjug:

I don't know about these days but when we stopped the RV in Chinle in 2006 it was a complete shithole.

Chinle is a very poor and underfunded area. The Navajo have nothing there and life is very hard. The Canyon de Chelley however is a stunning place and worth the visit in my opinion.

As was Kayenta in 2012, but the Holiday Inn looks OK and I cashed in my IHG points, so it’s a freebie. I just need to remember to buy a bottle or two of vino before we arrive in the Navajo Nation :thumb

As was Kayenta in 2012, but the Holiday Inn looks OK and I cashed in my IHG points, so it’s a freebie. I just need to remember to buy a bottle or two of vino before we arrive in the Navajo Nation :thumb

I stayed in The Thunderbird Lodge in Chinle run by the Navajo as I didnt fancy camping , you can stay in a Holiday Inn anytime/anywhere!? I don't know what Kayenta looks like as a massive dust storm rolled into town as I got close by so I turned off before hitting the storm and headed off up to Monument Valley . Canyon de Chelly is a beautiful place even if the town isn't .

Mesa Verde is fantastic :bow We have a night at Chinle in June to visit Canyon de Chelly and then a night in Silver City, hopefully to see some more Indian dwellings in the Gila Forrest, before heading down to Tombstone

I’ve been to both rims of the Grand Canyon before and the North Rim is quieter, but can be quite a detour. We have two nights on the South Rim this time so we can go walking for a day. Like Yosemite, once you walk away from the viewing points, the crowds quickly disappear

d4ee4516823a0532cacf623c93b5b925.jpg

cc0569d9c454645693685a7ed96b27d8.jpg

Great shot in Yosemite :thumb

I camped there for a few nights, fantastic , saw some wild bears as I rode in and then had a bear outside my tent one night. That Really shook me up.

Every morning around 8am a family of deer walked right between the tents without a care in the world. Went for a gentle hike in the hills and came across some signs saying "Beware of the Mountain Lion sighted in the area" apparently a young woman had been knocked of her mountain bike by the lion but luckily her friend managed to scare it off.

Back
Top Bottom