Benefits of Ohlins shocks on a GS1150?

gs1150MO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on spending large bucks on a second hand set of Ohlins shocks for a 2000 year GS1150? Sorry about the vague question.:blast

I did it to mine the bike will feel a hell of a lot better to ride in every way.

You'll probably get most of your money back at resale anyway.

GS ? Ensure the shocks are for GS not GSA, GSA shocks will make her taller.

Put some on my 1150 when it had c50k on the clock - I did it instead of sctratching the itch to buy a new bike. The result was like getting a new bike.

It transforms the bike. As Wreford says, spending £1500 on suspension and a few choice parts or 'tart up' is way cheaper than a new bike and will make the 1150 ride so much better. Although I fitted Nitron, it was the first thing I did when I got a new to me 1150 a couple of years ago.

Online are the ultimate, but you will get the same effect with most premium brand shocks on an older bike ie; a transformation/rejuvenation.

I picked up a fab set of Hyperpros from eBay.de. Still boxed and never fitted for €220 delivered, so it doesn't need to be £1500.

Apologies, my post isn't that clear. My Nitron were about £500 the set, the other £1k to total £1500 would be 'farkles' or whatever folk call accessories these days...or perhaps a paint refresh...you get my drift

Worth every penny imho provided that they are set up/sprung for your weight etc It's like riding a different bike:thumb

Improved my 1150, but not by £1000+ that a new set would cost.

I paid £400 for a used set ( a few years ago), that was just about the amount of improvement i gained.

Simply fitting re-cond/serviced shocks will also make the bike feel better, so bare that in mind when people state they made my bike feel like new.
The reason being the shocks they were riding around on were knackered and not that the ohlins were that good.
They're good, but not £1000+ better.

as above I reconditioned me shocks and replaced the springs with hyper-pro's it really sorted out the handling and I started to really enjoy the bike more. ....springs front and real where about £170....refurb £150 for rear . . front was nearly new.

For me buying used...you dont know what state they are at, so could let go when your least expecting it. At least a complete refurb gives you a datum.

+1 for all the above answers. I did a hybrid of what others suggest combined with Steptoe's suggestion for a refurb. I got a Wilbers for the front and got the rear serviced at MCT. The result was fantastic.

I think i did the minimum that allowed for future servicing. If was going to spend more money, I'd have bought a new rear shock, complete with the adjustable pre-load - which usually ads quite a lot to the cost, but i wouldn't suggest to go without it.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Ohlins on mine. Refurbished set at 30k. 63k on the bike now and the ohlins have been serviced twice. You don't realise how good they are until you put the old ones on so that you can get the ohlins serviced :) but I would agree that probably any quality aftermarket shock would be worthwhile and rebuilt originals will probably give you 90+% of the benefit of aftermarket shocks :)

Thanks for all the replies folks which have given me my answer. Good to hear your views. The 10 year Ohlins I have seen are silly money. I will look at a refurb or another brand. Cheers.:D

Heard some good feedback about YSS shocks. Seen an almost new rear for an 1150 on done deal 4-5 months back for circa €150.
I've had wilbers and currently on Ohlins. Can't tell them apart.

Wilbers are sig cheaper than Ohlins, but for most use - you’d struggle to tell the difference. You get more for Ohlins on resale, but still - Wilbers would be my choice.

The difference over stock suspension? I felt that the tyres were “in contact with the road - more”

I now have aftermarket shocks/forks on 4 bikes (Ohlins and Wilbers) - it really makes a difference.

Ohlins for me I have some 1150 Ohlins on my adv to reduce the seat height initially but the ride is soooooo
Much better than the original ones only 17k on them.

Back
Top Bottom