Pillion utility box

Looks interesting.

Stainless every time for me, makes it stronger and stiffer, and tbh weight won’t be an issue for a box that size.

I’d go for a simpler box shape, with a lock that you can key alike (the Givi type). What I like most is that it will work well with my soft luggage, which presently needs the seat under it to make it sit flush to the grab handles. This way I’d get some secure storage for my tools, spares etc, without having to lug a great top box around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I`ll evolve it based on the input from the lads - any opinions on material?

back support

Just meaning on the Vario topbox I have, I have bought a backrest pad, just helps the missus in case I slam on the brakes, so I was thinking down the lines of that for your box, which is really cool.

Thanks.

Not sure if my box will be high enough for back support to be a consideration fella but I see what you mean now

Whist I empathize with the initial desire to mimic another design it looks way over engineered to be practical or easy to manufacture.Id suggest more of a rectangular design with a dimpled recess in the lid allowing the locking device whichever is decided on be it combination or key,to sit near flush with the lid.This would also facilitate the ability to have strapping loops on the edges for adding a soft bag over the case.

As for material maybe 1.2mm stainless would give good strength and security whilst still allowing it to be malleable during manufacture.

Looks interesting.

Stainless every time for me, makes it stronger and stiffer, and tbh weight won’t be an issue for a box that size.

I’d go for a simpler box shape, with a lock that you can key alike (the Givi type). What I like most is that it will work well with my soft luggage, which presently needs the seat under it to make it sit flush to the grab handles. This way I’d get some secure storage for my tools, spares etc, without having to lug a great top box around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well that`s a vote for stainless!

Here's the US box
26c271436d252d43cffee772767b50d4.jpg

A bit `boxy` IMHO but I always bow to people who know better :bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whist I empathize with the initial desire to mimic another design it looks way over engineered to be practical or easy to manufacture.Id suggest more of a rectangular design with a dimpled recess in the lid allowing the locking device whichever is decided on be it combination or key,to sit near flush with the lid.This would also facilitate the ability to have strapping loops on the edges for adding a soft bag over the case.

As for material maybe 1.2mm stainless would give good strength and security whilst still allowing it to be malleable during manufacture.

Good point, I have a (wrong) tendency to over engineer stuff - I was thinking of 1.2 304 SS as a weapon of choice. I didn`t mimic the US one, I thought it too boxy, but it seems that the simple design is preferable.

Something more rounded on the corners possibly?
Maybe place the lock device central thus having four locking points one each side and a removable lid?

e0034bb46d1acc4b6c664a1ab6737623.png

If I might put in a vote for a boxy box. Most things one would want to carry in such a box as yours have a squareish aspect. Lunch box, tool kit and maby a first aid kit. It should be cheaper to produce and not look like a mini coffin. JJH

Just meaning on the Vario topbox I have, I have bought a backrest pad, just helps the missus in case I slam on the brakes, so I was thinking down the lines of that for your box, which is really cool.

Unless you are riding in a different dimension to me, you braking will cause your passenger to be thrown forward...

Unless you are riding in a different dimension to me, you braking will cause your passenger to be thrown forward...

Maybe SmogBob's got a Goldwing with reverse .... :D

Most alert pillions will brace backwards to compensate and save crashing into the rider. JJH

Well in all fairness if you are using on of these boxes you won’t be carrying a passenger anyway. JJH

When you get it sorted would you consider a version that will fit 1200 hexhead pillion seat?

How's about a nice wicker basket? :D

Only joking, I think it's a sound idea. If you're going to the troubles of making it out of metal, whatrver lock you fit should make it properly secure.

Maybe SmogBob's got a Goldwing with reverse .... :D

Slam your brakes full on and see how far you slip backwards, its not much but plenty to brake your spine, if you hit something, just trying to help the OP with his design, so no idiot reason to try and wreck the thread. :blast

Slam your brakes full on and see how far you slip backwards, its not much but plenty to brake your spine, if you hit something, just trying to help the OP with his design, so no idiot reason to try and wreck the thread. :blast

Smogbob .... my friend .... (It's Christmas ... !)

We are just pointing out that if you slam your brakes on you usually slide forwards!!

Happy new year to you and yours ..

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom