Pillion utility box

In the old garden shed making the next one to incorporate all the goodly suggestions........

Thankfully my garden shed has a half a million pound laser profiler in it........

9996b491c590ae64cfa6391999c30874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that’s your garden Shed, I don’t want to see the size of your house. 😳

The million dollar question. Is it likely to exceed £100 plus Vat ? That might change the material spec. It would be great to have a way of securing a soft bag to it.

If you can aim for that price point or less :D i will have one.

Fella, sorry, it`s always a balancing act - the geezer I`m making it for specified a `copy` but much cheaper than the one he wants me to `copy` - being the US version at $300 plus shipping plus import tax (I don`t think there will be much change out of $400.......).

I`m going to aim for around 2/3rd`s of just the retail price meaning I have to do it for round £200 all in.

It`s difficult - if I go for the best quality then it costs, if I try to make it as cheap as possible I run the risk of losing a reputation for good, strong well built stuff. I could change the mat spec and use mild steel but it will rust and won`t be as strong - I hope you can understand.

I`m sure there`s a cheap box out there you could find tho!

Are these one offs or general available?

This is a one-off for a fellow biker as in the previous post however having spent a lot of time on it over Xmas for him I do hope to make them available to anyone who can use them - purposely being `better` than the US one (you`ve possibly read all the suggestions for improvement) by incorporating as many of the suggestions as possible.

I`ll have the second prototype done today and posted.......

If that’s your garden Shed, I don’t want to see the size of your house. ��

It`s a little `tongue in cheek` I must admit as I sometimes get disparaging remarks ("oh, that`s shite, I`d do it like this etc etc" - it comes with the territory I guess) however the guys who post stuff like that lack the resources I have (I have two laser profilers and two manufacturing companies with lots of goodies) so I often wonder if they could do better, instead of just giving negative criticism, and they often can`t.

hey ho - anyway, back on with being thankful for the positive input, rant over :beerjug:

200 quid seems a good price for a solid coffin.

Noooooooo, I`ve changed the design, in many ways, to incorporate the positive suggestions JB wasn`t overly impressed with the design saying it was too `busy` and needed simplification - which I`ve done. Photos to follow when I get home back to the bike!

It isn`t coffin shaped anymore.

It`s a little `tongue in cheek` I must admit as I sometimes get disparaging remarks ("oh, that`s shite, I`d do it like this etc etc" - it comes with the territory I guess) however the guys who post stuff like that lack the resources I have (I have two laser profilers and two manufacturing companies with lots of goodies) so I often wonder if they could do better, instead of just giving negative criticism, and they often can`t.

hey ho - anyway, back on with being thankful for the positive input, rant over :beerjug:
It's the wooden flooring I struggle with

An engineer; someone who can build for tuppence what a fool knows takes sixpence to make.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Noooooooo, I`ve changed the design, in many ways, to incorporate the positive suggestions JB wasn`t overly impressed with the design saying it was too `busy` and needed simplification - which I`ve done. Photos to follow when I get home back to the bike!

It isn`t coffin shaped anymore.

Sorry Mark I was not referring to the design, just basically saying a solid box, im in when its done. :beerjug:

Stressing this is still just a prototype and there's still more work needed on the lid (so sorry if it looks poor) but here's the fruit of this mornings work. I've tried to accommodate as many of the suggestions as possible (dunno why the yanks don't do this on their adventure site - I guess they think they know best eh?).

I'm heavily paraphrasing below and not quoting but I think I've named the suggestions well enough btw.

So;
santa 2512 suggested 'move hinge' - check.

JJH suggested 'make it square' - check.

Joe narvey suggested 'change position of lock' - check.

Giles suggested 'change the position of the lock' - check.

Johnny boxer suggested 'unnecessary shite, too fussy, needs to be basic' - check.

Solidstate100 suggested 'drop the complicated corners and give it a key lock' - check.

Nin suggested 'simple design and key' - check.

Andi archer suggested '1.2mm SS' - check.

I haven't incorporated all the suggestions but the ones I have does show I'm keen to listen and make a product that you, the fellow bikers, get a substantial input in its design (unlike many other manufacturers.....).

4ddd76fe307e02cea69075c68716d415.jpg
23e44fd6dd03f81f5f87aeb74a69b7b5.jpg
09f2ccfc4dd24f2c328d58d945ae9d29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quite like it now - beautifully made as always.
My one thought having read the entire thread is about the lock.
Fitting a hasp puts the choice with the "owner" as to the lock - my favorite option on my Peli was to use a combination lock, but some prefer keys.
Locating a hasp arrangement on the end would also be a more waterproof?
And would making it a little taller allow a bear-sized BLT to fit in without squeezing out the mayo?

:thumb

Fella, excellent! Even tho (in honesty) it might not be my `bag` (it`s a little `too much` for me) i`m always keen to support what anyone actually does (far too many people criticise without ever making anything themselves) so I can`t say enough good things about it. Well done - I`m really impressed and I`m sure it was a great bit of kit for you whilst you used it. Well done fella, if you ever need any help making `stuff` let me know, I`m always keen to help people who actually make `stuff` :beerjug:

I take it that the final design will be 100% water tight?

Hi, sadly `no` - I`ve seen sooo many people claim 100% watertight (and it never is) so I never say it. What I normally say is that it`s rain-proof and that tends to do. I also incorporate drain holes so that when any water does get in it can run out and also allow for air circulation. My stuff is normally fairly `good` but I have seen some of the lads spend some time improving on what I`ve made with silicone seals etc

I quite like it now - beautifully made as always.
My one thought having read the entire thread is about the lock.
Fitting a hasp puts the choice with the "owner" as to the lock - my favorite option on my Peli was to use a combination lock, but some prefer keys.
Locating a hasp arrangement on the end would also be a more waterproof?
And would making it a little taller allow a bear-sized BLT to fit in without squeezing out the mayo?

Kind words and, see, some prefer a combination lock (it`s nearly impossible to please everyone all the time) - if anyone wanted a combination lock I`d respect their wishes of course. And yes I think you can get a BLT in it along with the Subway geezer who had just made it for you too :D

:thumb

Kind words and, see, some prefer a combination lock (it`s nearly impossible to please everyone all the time) - if anyone wanted a combination lock I`d respect their wishes of course. And yes I think you can get a BLT in it along with the Subway geezer who had just made it for you too :D

That`s a good suggestion but putting the combination lock on the side might be a little more difficult getting the lock to work - the fella (in question) wanted one very similar to the US version so I`ve tried to do that for him - I did think about putting some `u` bolts on the top surface for bungying gloves to or something like that.

Maybe they stand on the other side of the bike when it’s parked at the roadside :D

Back
Top Bottom