Pillion utility box

yehbut, nobut, whatever.
What I meant about the lock was "padlock - either key or combination" puts the choice with the owner.
If this could come in at less than 150 (leave off the lock!) then I think it should fairly fly off the shelves.

yehbut, nobut, whatever.
What I meant about the lock was "padlock - either key or combination" puts the choice with the owner.
If this could come in at less than 150 (leave off the lock!) then I think it should fairly fly off the shelves.

Quite possibly but cutting the corners might have an undesirable effect - I could save quite a bit by dropping the clip on - clip off facility (as the machined spigot cost quite a bit to have made) but the feedback I generally get is that people would rather pay the extra than get it cheaper and not so good.

A good idea (thanks) about leaving off the lock tho but I suspect by doing so I`d get some of the lads specifying some type of `lock`

Might sound a bit of overkill, but maybe a removable separation across the middle of the box, so you can put a heavy chain on one side and more fragile items on the other, so when riding they do not bash into each other, rather than have to use padding and take up space.

Reminds me of the time I went off road with an I phone and a disc lock in the same box ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Might sound a bit of overkill, but maybe a removable separation across the middle of the box, so you can put a heavy chain on one side and more fragile items on the other, so when riding they do not bash into each other, rather than have to use padding and take up space.

Thats a good idea :clap

Stressing this is still just a prototype and there's still more work needed on the lid (so sorry if it looks poor) but here's the fruit of this mornings work. I've tried to accommodate as many of the suggestions as possible (dunno why the yanks don't do this on their adventure site - I guess they think they know best eh?).

I'm heavily paraphrasing below and not quoting but I think I've named the suggestions well enough btw.

So;
santa 2512 suggested 'move hinge' - check.

JJH suggested 'make it square' - check.

Joe narvey suggested 'change position of lock' - check.

Giles suggested 'change the position of the lock' - check.

Johnny boxer suggested 'unnecessary shite, too fussy, needs to be basic' - check.

Solidstate100 suggested 'drop the complicated corners and give it a key lock' - check.

Nin suggested 'simple design and key' - check.

Andi archer suggested '1.2mm SS' - check.

I haven't incorporated all the suggestions but the ones I have does show I'm keen to listen and make a product that you, the fellow bikers, get a substantial input in its design (unlike many other manufacturers.....).

4ddd76fe307e02cea69075c68716d415.jpg
23e44fd6dd03f81f5f87aeb74a69b7b5.jpg
09f2ccfc4dd24f2c328d58d945ae9d29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% improvement

Much better!

I still say, if you could somehow put the lock on the back side (as opposed to the top) it would look neater and then give you the option of lugs on the top for something like a cargo net or bungee cords. If that happened, whatever was strapped / cargo'd to the top wouldn't have to be moved, to get to the lock. In theory you could open and close the lid with whatever is strapped down still in place.
With the lock on the back side it also offers up other options for that flat surface to be used - I dunno .... a camping table or something, a desk to write on, a bread board for preparing your camp food .... !!!

Maybe MBW should try this way of designing a bike :D

Put the lock on the side, taper the lid to meet the bent piece of lid that holds the lock (better weather protection and more secure in case of attempted thievery and more material), lock to the front facing the seat if possible or otherwise to the side (LH or RH) so the hinge doubles as a brace. Brace the box inside so it takes more effort to beat it in (as above). I hope you understand what I mean.

If the lock's on the back you may have restricted access if you've a rack full of shit, the side seems better to me.

Back
Top Bottom