Pillion utility box

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of the lads asked me to design a pillion utility box (Adv Designs in the states make one - and a lovely bit of kit it is too!) however his concern was the $299 price tag plus carriage plus import tax so he has asked me to make him one!

TBH it's similar to the USA one (there's not a lot you can do with a 'box') however I've tried to put some design flair into it (at the corners and, woohoo, a pig to make!).

However I've managed to make it, I think, at a massive saving over the US one so I'm sure he will be chuffed.

I would, however, benefit (as I have always done) from any constructive comments (don't give up your day job etc etc ) to try and make it better - I've got to be careful that I don't add to the cost as Billy (the said fella) doesn't want that).

It has a combination lock, clips on and off like the pillion seat and will be black powder coated.

The one in the photos is the first off following most of Xmas at work.

So, any constructive comments always appreciated!
065f6a0bf898fddf437b6254cf8aedf2.jpg
30dafccf1b583ccb66927f1f66100aa1.jpg
eb8c6f4fcd680fb9d09479577ce01197.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly ?
I am sure it will be fit for purpose but you should have waited until it was 100% complete as it looks like something someone knocked up in a shed...and your stuff doesn't normally look like that.

Honestly ?
I am sure it will be fit for purpose but you should have waited until it was 100% complete as it looks like something someone knocked up in a shed...and your stuff doesn't normally look like that.

Yeah, its the first off fella - it`s not welded or anything, just a prototype to see how it looks - it saves a lot of time doing it this way as I can incorporate any changes in the next one rather than making one from start to finish (including powder coating) then having to make a small adjustment. And no my stuff does not normally look like that as its normally the very finished article that we all get to see.

Maybe I should have made `first off`more clear as there is invariably many prototypes until it gets to the quality you refer to and I`m known by - my fault, sorry!

Why have you made it narrower at the back? Why not leave it “square”. Or maby there is a reason? JJH

Personally I’d be a little disappointed with the position of the combination lock as it negates impairs the option to mount something else on top. If the lock were to the side rear and a tab design for a padlock that would of interest especially if the top surface have an interlocking/ stacking feature.

I have a seat hump storage compartment on my job bike. (It's where the radio lives and I can stick my waterproofs).
The hinge is the opposite to yours (where your arse is). It's stronger (more material to work with) and with most folk being right handed there is a natural stand by side of bike, left with your left hand, dip in with your right hand sort of action going on.

:thumb2

*Edit .... further from Joe's post, the lock would maybe be better where you currently have the hinge. So put the hinge where your arse is, the lock where your hinge is currently, and have the top without anything in on it ....

Too fussy, why are there 2 little 'pouches' at the front, nearest the rider

Too many angles and unnecessary shite

Why have you made it narrower at the back? Why not leave it “square”. Or maby there is a reason? JJH

i fella, yes the lines of the pillion plate lend itself to be a little angled - it also makes it look not so `box shaped` - I did one out of cardboard which was boxed shaped and it wasn`t good. Thanks for the input tho :thumb2

Personally I’d be a little disappointed with the position of the combination lock as it negates impairs the option to mount something else on top. If the lock were to the side rear and a tab design for a padlock that would of interest especially if the top surface have an interlocking/ stacking feature.

That`s a good suggestion but putting the combination lock on the side might be a little more difficult getting the lock to work - the fella (in question) wanted one very similar to the US version so I`ve tried to do that for him - I did think about putting some `u` bolts on the top surface for bungying gloves to or something like that.

I have a seat hump storage compartment on my job bike. (It's where the radio lives and I can stick my waterproofs).
The hinge is the opposite to yours (where your arse is). It's stronger (more material to work with) and with most folk being right handed there is a natural stand by side of bike, left with your left hand, dip in with your right hand sort of action going on.

:thumb2

*Edit .... further from Joe's post, the lock would maybe be better where you currently have the hinge. So put the hinge where your arse is, the lock where your hinge is currently, and have the top without anything in on it ....

That`s a really good suggestion - it`s completely opposite to the US version (which IMHO is very good - I always try to respect other peoples work) but I suppose the US version could be better (they should listen to their version of the UKGSER!) eh?

Too fussy, why are there 2 little 'pouches' at the front, nearest the rider

Too many angles and unnecessary shite

Hi JB, I`m tempted to make something `less fussy` with `unnecessary sh*te` - which just looks like a box btw just to see all the comments it brings! The two little `pouches` are purely for design but I guess we all have different views of what`s good eh? In fact, coz I can, I`ll do one less fussy with unnecessary sh*te and lets see how it looks eh JB, it might just be well received!

The buttressed corners dont work. Way to busy. And a combination lock? Makes it look like a kids novelty piggy bank. And about as secure - and try using it with you gloves on.....at least use a keyed lock.

all IMHO of course

Hi JB, I`m tempted to make something `less fussy` with `unnecessary sh*te` - which just looks like a box btw just to see all the comments it brings! The two little `pouches` are purely for design but I guess we all have different views of what`s good eh? In fact, coz I can, I`ll do one less fussy with unnecessary sh*te and lets see how it looks eh JB, it might just be well received!

That would be bettler

Less=More....sometimes

The buttressed corners dont work. Way to busy. And a combination lock? Makes it look like a kids novelty piggy bank. And about as secure - and try using it with you gloves on.....at least use a keyed lock.

all IMHO of course

The combo lock is seen, not by me, as a better option to `another` key by the manufacturers of the US box but I understand what you are saying - all my toolboxes are with normal key locks so I may do a version with both as some people like locks and some people like combo locks (seemingly - don`t shoot the messenger!). I`ll make a much more simpler one as I always try to respect and accommodate people`s opinions (they are normally far better than mine!) however the one I make for myself will have some design flair in it because the less fussy one just looks like a box.

Also, I`d be thankful if somebody offered some opinions on materiel. I`ve had some lads say they prefer (harder wearing) stainless and others prefer ally (for lightness). I`m keen to listen to anybody who has better opinions than me (what do I know :blast)

Looks interesting.

Stainless every time for me, makes it stronger and stiffer, and tbh weight won’t be an issue for a box that size.

I’d go for a simpler box shape, with a lock that you can key alike (the Givi type). What I like most is that it will work well with my soft luggage, which presently needs the seat under it to make it sit flush to the grab handles. This way I’d get some secure storage for my tools, spares etc, without having to lug a great top box around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Soz fella, you`ve lost me on that one.................

Just meaning on the Vario topbox I have, I have bought a backrest pad, just helps the missus in case I slam on the brakes, so I was thinking down the lines of that for your box, which is really cool.

Back
Top Bottom