Advice for self-drive holiday in California etc etc

Speaking of sat-navs....
Worth checking how much they charge.
When we did a tour they wanted $10/day to hire a sat nav....works out bleedin expensive.
I bought the N.America maps on sd card and took my own sat nav.
Sold the sd card when I got back for nearly what I paid for it.

I used the CoPilot GPS app on my iPhone. It only cost £9.99 and the maps are downloaded, so no data required. You can preplan routes on it too :beerjug: I’ll be using it again in June.

With regards to car hire, Netflights were the cheapest place to hire a Mustang convertible in 2014 and 2016 and they always include zero excess loss damage waiver. For the next trip Hertz were the cheapest using my companies corporate discount code. In fact it was so cheap I’ve upgraded to a Corvette Stingray :cool:

Attachments

• 3CC0A30B-FA63-4B8D-B9F3-BD0E2C431C6A.jpeg
    3CC0A30B-FA63-4B8D-B9F3-BD0E2C431C6A.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 217
Drive down the coast, not up, so SF to LA. If you drive down the sea is on your side of the road, if you drive up its across whatever number of lanes are on other side of road and the scenic pulloffs will not be so easy to get to.

Don't use the freeway go up the Pacific Cast Highway twisty and next to the sea and plenty to see, look out for Hurst Castle (google it) as this is an amazing place and well worth a visit the visitor centre is next the road and from there you get the catch up to the Castle five miles from the road!. Don't miss this.

We did the same last year. LA to SF.
On the drive up we stopped in Cambria and then up to Monteray, 2 brilliant hotels.
We couldn’t do route 1 as there had been a massive landslide closing it so had to go around.
In SF found hotel and they wanted $50 a night parking. Took rental car back, office close by, as we didn’t need it in SF.
Brilliant roads once you’ve crawled out of LA.

Back
Top Bottom