Klim hi-viz needs dyeing black

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I bought my Klim Latitude just over two years ago, I got the yellow hi-viz version and it looked really sharp when I got it, however it wasn’t long before the yellow areas became quite scruffy.
I have always washed it correctly but as the hi-viz gets washed more and more it seems to mark up very easily.
The Latitude is a superb jacket, but you cannot get them in plain black, so I’m looking to try and get the yellow changed to black on my current jacket by having the whole jacket dyed black.
I wonder if anyone has had a textile jacket dyed...and did it work?

All I know is that yer bog-standard Dylon doesn’t work on non-natural fibres. DAMHIK. Dylon website though is full of hints and tips.

Hi Smagbox,
After trying my best to understand what was written in that link, it sounds as though it may be do-able but not a do it at home fix. I’ll Google around a bit more and make a few phone calls, I suppose the fact that it’s a gortex laminate won’t help either.

I had a new black Klim Badlands jacket arrive today by mail order which I’d hoped would be the replacement for my old Latitude, but although I’d ordered a medium like my Klim Latitude, the fit is quite a bit different, the Badlands sleeves being quite long which isn’t a big issue but it moves the armour from the elbow down towards the forearm. Having tried both outfits on tonight I find that my old Latitude is smack on size for me, but sadly Klim don’t do it in plain black.

Hi Smagbox,
After trying my best to understand what was written in that link, it sounds as though it may be do-able but not a do it at home fix. I’ll Google around a bit more and make a few phone calls, I suppose the fact that it’s a gortex laminate won’t help either.

I had a new black Klim Badlands jacket arrive today by mail order which I’d hoped would be the replacement for my old Latitude, but although I’d ordered a medium like my Klim Latitude, the fit is quite a bit different, the Badlands sleeves being quite long which isn’t a big issue but it moves the armour from the elbow down towards the forearm. Having tried both outfits on tonight I find that my old Latitude is smack on size for me, but sadly Klim don’t do it in plain black.

To me it basically looks like they are saying it is not easy and dangerous.

Used to dye a lot of synthetic fibres. If the flow section is Nylon, you will need acid dyes boiling water and salt to drive the colour on. Keeping it dye fast will be be the biggest issue. Eg if not dyfast you will leave black marks on all textiles you touch.

If its Polyester , you are stuffed ,as polyester dyes are pressure dyed usually at appx 105 deg C. Polyester dyes physically entrain themselves in the filament when they are relaxed under pressure. Then when released the fibres lock the dye in the textile yarn. Even harder to do and be dyfast.

Steve

Speak to Kate at Hideout Leather. She may be able to replace the hi-viz panels with black. It’s probably (make that, definitely) easiest.

Alternatively, don’t be so precious. The faded yellow will mark you out as a true ruftytufty Adventure (with a capital A) bikermate, out in all weathers, self-reliant and a god.

PS Got a link mate, as me Google’s fecked?

Natch, mate: https://www.hideout-leather.co.uk

Hi Guys,
I bought my Klim Latitude just over two years ago, I got the yellow hi-viz version and it looked really sharp when I got it, however it wasn’t long before the yellow areas became quite scruffy.
I have always washed it correctly but as the hi-viz gets washed more and more it seems to mark up very easily.

Sounds like Hi Viz is destined to look OK in the short term only. Klim say this:

* All dyed/pigmented fabrics will fade under UV exposure (sunlight) over time. Klim fabrics are highly UV resistant, but HI-VIS fabrics will fade at a faster rate than normal fabrics under the same UV exposure. This is a normal property of all HI-VIS pigments/fabrics and is not considered a manufacturer defect.

It doesn't sound like it will take dye well anyway, but I wonder whether a dye may also damage the GoreTex membrane?

Perhaps the Latitude now needs to be your winter or mucky weather jacket, allowing you the use a lighter, better vented jacket the rest of the year? Just trying to find the silver lining... :)

Dyeing

A bit off the wall, how about trying a black indelible felt tip pen on small bit of the hi-vis and see how it lasts.

Tom

Same thing happened to my Rukka hi viz. it looked well scruffy after just a seasons riding, I was doing quite a bit of commuting on Motorwys and dual carriageways so a lot of dirty trucks and diesel cars. Then also some of the viz faded slightly in the garage as the jacket was close to a window.

Speak to Kate at Hideout Leather. She may be able to replace the hi-viz panels with black. It’s probably (make that, definitely) easiest.

Alternatively, don’t be so precious. The faded yellow will mark you out as a true ruftytufty Adventure (with a capital A) bikermate, out in all weathers, self-reliant and a god.

PS Got a link mate, as me Google’s fecked?

Natch, mate: https://www.hideout-leather.co.uk

A riding God, yep I’m liking the sound of that Richard, a rufty tufty riding God!

Not really a scuffy old git, I’ll check out Kate at Hideout if I don’t get anywhere, many thanks for the link.

I had a good look at the Badlands today, comparing it to my Latitude, it’s a bloody well made bit of kit, you name it and it’s got it!

The P&D discounted offer highlighted by wonkey donkey in ‘Spotted a Deal’ allows you to buy a badlands for the price of a Latitude....a great deal.

Cheers guys!

Kate makes her own versions of Adventure textile suits. If she can help you, she will.

What are you washing the jacket with?

Nikwax products and all done following the Klim advice sheet, but as the Hi-viz has become more used and washed, it seems to have become a magnet for road muck, when it was new it stayed cleaner for much longer.
I should have learned my lesson with my previous jacket which was a Hein Gericke hi-viz, I hoped that the Klim gear might have been better.
I now believe that it’s just the way that Hi-viz material functions, I will always buy straightforward Black in the future and wear a hi-viz vest that can be discarded when its knackered.

However following Wapping's advice maybe the worn-out look is cool, as it shows that I’m not just a fine weather rider and that I do ride the miles!

I’m not knocking the Klim gear, on the contrary I love it, and this Latitude has been a really good outfit and fully waterproof, I’d highly recommend it, just a pity they don’t do it in straight black.

Kate makes her own versions of Adventure textile suits. If she can help you, she will.

Thanks, I feel that because it’s a laminate it may prove awkward, however there’s no harm in asking, but the ruffy tufty look is sounding more and more appealingly.

A riders patina!

Do not use Dylon - it is not a good product especially the ones you use in the washing machine

At work the hi viz was always stuffed after 12 months if you were lucky, reason why I would never buy a hi viz goretex jacket and use a vest over the top of a black jacket instead

Yes, I don’t mind the fading, it’s the way that the faded Hi-viz becomes a dirt magnet and the dirt becomes more and more ingrained and dificult to wash off. More recently I have been soaking it in my bath in a water and soap flakes solution to loosen the dirt prior to washing.

It’s not a problem, I’ve taken the plunge and I will keep this newly arrived all black Badlands for summer European posh tours, and me old Latitude for everything mucky and local until its completely knackered.

Thanks for all of the help, advice and comments Guys, and the Badlands heads-up from Wonky Donkey...it’s a truly superb deal from M&P for anyone wanting a new Badlands !

A Happy New Year to you all :beerjug: :beerjug:

Getting Hi-Viz right is a bit of a bugger. BMW encountered a disastrous amount of fading with the first-gen Airshell jacket and withdrew it from the market. The second-gen version had the Hi-Viz dyed into a much more UV-stable fibre.

it’s the way that the faded Hi-viz becomes a dirt magnet and the dirt becomes more and more ingrained and dificult to wash off. More recently I have been soaking it in my bath in a water and soap flakes solution to loosen the dirt prior to washing.

I didn't know washing bike jackets was a thing until I joined these forums! I normally buy a jacket, wear it continually for the next 5 years and then bin it!

D

Back
Top Bottom