Is the old buff logbook still valid in the UK?

ChasF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an old bike with the original buff log book with me as the registered keeper. I use it here on the original english plate but I’m thinking about getting it registered in France for which I’ll need a valid UK log book.

Hi Chas
Not legal anymore in the UK, but should still be OK for getting Carte Gris in France.
UK is now V5C
Maybe worthwhile getting dating certificate from registered club

HTH
Neil

Thanks Neil, I was looking at getting a CG collection but it say imported vehicles must have a legal registration document in their country of origin. I’ll give it a go with the logbook I have and see if it goes through.

Why not send it back in to DVA and get a valid V5 C??

Do you have a UK address Or can you get your mail from your old UK address forwarded?

Make sure and write a letter than you would like to retain the Buff Logbook as part of the vehicles historical records and you should get it back "But" make sure and seal it in a clear folder and put a post it on the outside Please do not handle "FRAGILE!"

My old Log book for my Dad's old motor came back Torn!!! Bastards!

Thanks DrF. It’s a slightly odd situation in that my French insurers seem to be happy to cover it on English plates and the bike hardly does any miles (1000 miles a year at the very most). I don’t want a full blown Carte Grise as I’m fairly sure the bike would really need to comply with the ‘code de la route’ which means it’d need indicators, mirrors and a reflective no. Plate. Bikes don’t need an MOT in France but being on UK plates strictly speaking it should have a UK MOT and road tax to be properly legal. A Carte Grise Collection seems like an easy route to import a vehicle and retain it’s original features but it does say that it must have legal registration papers from it’s country of origin. Due to the low mileage I’ve never been stopped by the Gendarmerie but with my many experiences on an enduro bike I know it’d be very hard to predict what they’d say - most are sensible and realistic but there are some jobsworths who’d nick you for not having the right CE label in your gloves.

I’ve never heard anything good about DVLA and am reluctant to send them the original logbook so I think I’m going to apply for the CGC with the existing logbook and see what happens.

Hi ChasF

The system just changed in France, you no longer go to the pref for CG, you do it yourself online, I did one last week

Create an account here if you don’t already have one and go to “Mon espace véhicule”
https://ants.gouv.fr/monespace/s-inscrire

I think if you do the demande here it will be fine, you just scan the old log book, I’m certain it will not be a problem, they will have no idea if it’s legal or not in blighty

You might have to pay for a couple of CV fiscale but it won’t be much

Yes, I did know that it had all gone online and noticed the FFVE CGC ‘notice explicative’ hasn’t caught up with it yet.

I recently had to obtain a V5C for a Honda CB400f that had been off the road since 1978. (when it was two years old)

I had the old style blue single sheet V5 which has not been a legal document for many years, however as that was my only proof of entitlement to the registration mark (which was no longer on the DVLA computer) I was more than a little reluctant to send it to them.

I made a good quality colour photocopy and sent that in with a covering letter, offering to send in the original if they insisted and explaining my reluctance to trust it to the post. (and the DVLA)

I got my new V5C no problem and never had to submit the original log book.

One question....does your bike show up on the DVLA vehicle search feature on it's current registration? If it does, getting a V5C should not be a problem, if not, try the photocopy route, it worked for me.

Mick.

To answer your question. ....NO
you need to sort a V5c with dvla Swansea. ...
took me two months and several letter / emails to sort my mobylette
even then they sent a v5c as "untaxed" instead of "historic"
Payment /washers/wouldn't. .......
:blast

Back
Top Bottom