South America January 2019

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
OK folks, 2019 is going to be a big year for me as I'll be 60 :eek: I know it's unbelievable as I've managed to keep my boyish good looks but there you go.

Anyway, I have a couple of really great trips in the planning and the one place I really have to go is to South America. Many of you will remember my aborted effort in getting down there last year but thankfully we've managed to find solutions to the issues and had the green light that it's do able.

I'm yet to really get to grips with finer details but I will be shipping the container in and out of Montivideo Uruguay. It will be a 40ft container with room for 10 bikes and you will be able to load everything into the box as per my normal trips to the USA. It's a system which works well.

My initial thoughts would be to unload the container in Montevideo on Friday 11th January 2019 and reload on Monday 11th February 2019 which would give us around 4 weeks for the trip. These dates can easily be moved around if needed so aren't set in stone at the moment. Montivideo is a handy place and is free from the dodgy dealings which scuppered my last effort.

My personal preference for a trip would be to run down through Patagonia to Tierra Del Fuego and back which for me means I've been to the top and bottom of the Americas. If you want to do your own thing down there that's fine and dandy as I realise it's not everyones cup of tea and I'm happy just to ship your bike there and back. From that location, you could get across to Chile or even go up to Peru so the possibilities are limitless.

I've not really planned a route as yet but if I can get enough interest in this, we can start planning in earnest and set up a meeting to discuss what everyone wants and if the container is viable.

PM me if you are interested in this trip or container and if interest is high enough, which I'm sure it will be, we can start planning the trip.

Hi Chris
Hopefully this time every thing will be good.
I did my SA trip this january but I definitely must go back to SA
Good luck.
Cheers
Bernard

Ooh Montivideo and Punta Arenas, I met some delightful young ladies more than a few years ago there ;)

South America.

Hi Chris,
I'm very interested in this idea of yours.
I was looking into heading to South America in 2019 but was going to hire a bike for the duration.
Do you have a rough idea of the cost of the shipping yet?
Paul.

I´ll be popping back down the Carretera Austral when I return next year, so if you want up to date info on that give me a shout. The Ruta 40 can be fun to ride also, but has probably changed a little since I did it. If you head out a little bit earlier you might be able to catch a bit of Dakar depending on the route. The RTE 3 is pretty windy and boring with just a couple of wildlife stop offs. Buenos Aires a great city but takes a few days to get around and enjoy. Santiago is also great and a lot smaller. Just give us a shout if you need any info on anything particular and I´ll try my best to find out.

Prices for flying this trip month,s in 2018,are good, cant see 2019 being much different
between £ 650..£750..Heathrow to Montevideo..return..

Chris

As last time I am interested

Please put me down

Again if you need any info for Chile then let me know

Karl

Hi all

Thanks for all the PM's and I'll respond to them all. Can you make sure you add your email address to any PM as it's easier to send info that way.

South America 2019

Sgt Bilco - as one of two (where is Snowdrop these days?) from the aborted South America Winter 2016 trip that went and rode your route (Arg/Chile/Peru/Boliv/Arg) I highly recommend you do go in/out of Montevideo. I assume you're using Motofreight and Wave Logistics in MV - a more brilliant combination you will not find!
Buenos Aires is fantastic so defo plan a few days there and if dates permit I recommend you at least take in the Dakar Finale in Rosario (about 3 hrs NW of BA). Despite Jezzer Clarksons attempts, the Argies adore big bikes and we were treated really well - apart from the rozzers who nicked me for not having any mirrors - I really should have given him $20!!

I'd love to come on this trip but SWMBO may have other ideas as I've not long come back from being dragged around your aborted Alaska 2017 trip too (thanks to Madmountainman) - surely 3rd time would be lucky?! I'll email you for the details so far - you never know!:clap

Good luck!

Bazzer

News from a friend ..

My friend rode south last year, from Prudhoe as part of his RTW trip, and I've asked for info as to which route south he took from the La Mano de Punta del Este a.k.a. The Hand statue in the Atacama to Ushuaia .. I want to ride west from Montevideo to the Hand then turn south ... of course this may need me to stay over there a bit longer or it may also prove to be impractical as six or seven weeks is my maximum ...

English is not his first language ...

"The story of the road is the hand sculptor.
I went down to the south,
And Hostal Casa Matte Hostel for bikers.
Valparaiso is a cute city on the ocean shore next to Villa del Mar.
From there to Corico on Route 5.
South of the road
Chelan Road 5
Down Los Angeles.
TAMACO .. FOR THE ROAD 199 A beautiful road through the landscape .. towards the town of Pucon all the way to the Argentine border to Route 60.
Malaw from there to Route 23 to San Martin de
Through the 7 lakes.
Down to Lake Trappol .. to Angostura ... and to the city of Bariloche.
All the way down through 40 to El Bolson ....
Back to Tzila to the city we were forbidden from there to Puerto Mont .. via 7 Carretera Austral or La Celio is a great place
That's for now"

I've now asked him for timings re days riding and days resting and also his route from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires will post when received ...

Anybody else have any info at all?

Peter

He rode the main motorway from The north to Temuco .

It is boring to say the least..

You can do Santiago to Temuco in a day of hard riding on a motorway. Approx 800km.

There are some great waterfalls just north of all’s Angeles which are good so this will add to the time

All

I'll have a presentation up at Adventure Bike Warehouse in Manchester on Saturday 23rd June from 1pm.

We'll discuss this trip and also I'll have some details of next years US trips

Skygod will lay on his usual array of fine food and copious amounts of tea and coffee so have a ride over and see what's happening.

All

I'll have a presentation up at Adventure Bike Warehouse in Manchester on Saturday 23rd June from 1pm.

We'll discuss this trip and also I'll have some details of next years US trips

Skygod will lay on his usual array of fine food and copious amounts of tea and coffee so have a ride over and see what's happening.

Hopefully, we’ll see you there Chris

D

Might be interested in joining but not sure if it will be 2019 or 2020. My brother and I have started an annual ride together and we want to go to South America in the near future. I lived in Chile for 4 years and know most of Latam quite well. Also might be of interest but I work for a Global Shipping Company so the shipping issue is taken care of. My plan is to start in Chile and take it from there, simply because I know Chile better. As said its a long way off so not sure we would join for 2019 but interested in experiences as well.
As info the southern part of Chile / Argentina are probably the nmost interesting but weather can be unpredictable. Also one of the most spectacular trips would be the crossing Los Andes to Mendoza and a trip to the old border at around 3900m. Road is spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom