r1200gs 2015 tyres for touring

I ran 2 sets of PR4’s, with the Trail front/GT rear setup, with no problems.

My last GSA had Roadtec 01’s and thought they were as good in the wet as the Michelin’s, but they gave me even more confidence in the dry.

The GT's have been recomended to me, wasnt aware the front wasnt avalible until now, How did you get on with the Trail on the front and GT on rear ?

No issues at all I got 15,000km out of the front Trail RP4, getting a new one fitted Friday. :thumby:

I have found the Annekees to be brilliant all year round ... FWR down in Kennington Road SE11 tweeted their first fitting of a set of PR5's today so they are out if you want to try them.

There appears to be sufficient stories of punctures with PR4s to put me off them, to be honest.

I can recommend Metzeler Roadtec-01 for mileage and grip (reckon on 4,500 to 5,000miles on a rear, with front good for only a further 1,000miles?)

Tourance Original tread - reckon on same mileage as above, but perhaps 2 rears to 1 front. Noisier on road than the 01s and ultimately less grip, but............ You won’t outride them!

Dunlop Roadsmart 3 - Should be great, and have a stiffer sidewall than most options.

Been using Conti road attack 2s for number of years.
They easily allows me to keep up with most road bikes, especially in the twisties be it dry or wet.

I have been using the RoadTec 01s on my 2017 GS.

Very pleased with them, but have had two punctures on the rear - though probably just bad luck. The first I believe was from running over some debris left by a crash of someone on the same tour as me - I arrived on the scene about 10 minutes after it happened and so no sweeping up had been done. The other was a bloody big nail which no tyre would have resisted, which I think I picked up filtering over a hatched area. I fixed the tyre with temporary plugs on both occasions but it still had a slight slow leak, plus it was starting to square off after about 3000 heavily loaded two-up miles, so rather than have it professionally repaired I decided to replace it with another RoadTec, so will see how this one goes.

The other thing worth mentioning is that I thought they made the steering feel noticeably lighter when I first put them on, though it just feels normal now I'm used to it.

Fred

Roadsmart 3s. Needed more scrubbing in than Michelin 4s. Also needed to be warmed up a tad before going for it, more so than Michelin. After that point I felt the Dunlop was superior in every respect.
Road4s grip was superb wet or dry. Punctures came thick and fast though and seemed to be from small stones in the narrow, deep tread pattern. Prone to squaring off fast as well. They were not GT version.
Conti road attack 3s were just superb last year in Alps/Dolomites. probably the best wet weather tyre I have used. Managed to get the rear slighlty greasy after really pushing on, very hot roads and pace in Northern Germany..but otherwise unbeatable.

Attachments

• IMAG3426.jpg
    IMAG3426.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 924
I just had a pair of Michelin road pilot 4 trail fitted, ride in/out at Micheldever £250.

Roadtec01’s for me.......

I have found the Annekees to be brilliant all year round ... FWR down in Kennington Road SE11 tweeted their first fitting of a set of PR5's today so they are out if you want to try them.

Not available in GS sizes until late 2018 or even 2019 from what I have heard:blast

CONTI Road attack 3 for me too best tyre i have had on any bike for years just really confidence inspiring in wet muddy lanes last year in november in devon and great in dry seem to warm up quickly and grip is great.
NEG POINT NOT CHEAP

CONTI Road attack 3 for me too best tyre i have had on any bike for years just really confidence inspiring in wet muddy lanes last year in november in devon and great in dry seem to warm up quickly and grip is great.
NEG POINT NOT CHEAP

I thought Conti were cheaper than most of the rest - but none of them are particularly cheap.

I have been satis with Anakees 3’s so much so I pick up a pair from this parish for £125... brand new! £49 to get them fitted. Bargain and well happy with the 10k miles I got from them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent ride magazine write up rated Metzeler Roadtech 01 as the tyre of choice for road based riding or sports touring.

I personally not had experience with Roadtech 01 but currently run Dunlop Roadsmart 3 on my GSA, replaced Anakee 3 to Conti Trail Attack 2 from new (still have anakee in the shed) on my previous GS I ran Metzeler Torrance Next and really liked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got 2 punctures in the same day (yesterday) on PR4Trail............it's been about 3 years since I had a puncture......guess what was on my bike then....yep....PR4Trail's

I had two punctures in quick succession on PR4’s and managed to prevent a third by stopping after riding on a recently resurfaced road and picking stone chippings out of the tread grooves. The problem is sharp pieces of stone getting stuck in the narrow tread grooves and then puncturing the carcass.

I switched to Tourance Next and haven’t had any issues since

Back
Top Bottom