'Shortie' screen on an RT...anyone?

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
Have any of you run your RT with a short/sport/shortie screen on? I like my head in the wind (to stay out of any turbulence) and wondered if the 500mm option (Powerbronze etc) is of any use?

The stock isn't that bad, and in really bad weather it's great, but for all but the worst days I like the wind on my helmet...:green gri

If you look on the left handlebar you will see a switch. Press it and the screen will go down.
.:D

Nope I disliked my std screen despite the uppy /downy switch thing so changed the screen to a larger wider one to match my height/width. Now I need to work out how to get most protection and keep a clear visor with the new screen, as the water just sits there now. Oh the irony.:augie

Nope I disliked my std screen despite the uppy /downy switch thing so changed the screen to a larger wider one to match my height/width. Now I need to work out how to get most protection and keep a clear visor with the new screen, as the water just sits there now. Oh the irony.:augie

I was also looking at getting a bigger option as well as a replacement short one, I find the stock screen good but in bad weather I get quite a lot of turbulence. the vstream screens get a good write up, which screen did you get?

Which screen have you fitted?
I have installed a Werks Quiet Ride 24" and it has transformed the air management. It is SO much more quiet. The water runs off it beautifully. The big plus is that I only have to have the screen lifted up a tiny bit for it to offer way more protection than the stock screen fully up.

I was also looking at getting a bigger option as well as a replacement short one, I find the stock screen good but in bad weather I get quite a lot of turbulence. the vstream screens get a good write up, which screen did you get?

The new R1200RT Sport, has a short screen and looks nice. My suspicion is that a short screen might be good in the summer month...If you can cope with that wind movement at speed. I can't, and that's why I ride a tourer and not a sports bike.

The new R1200RT Sport, has a short screen and looks nice. My suspicion is that a short screen might be good in the summer month...If you can cope with that wind movement at speed. I can't, and that's why I ride a tourer and not a sports bike.

Google'd that, looks nice with the short screen.

I love the electric screen, when i filter or on town i always lower the screen.
When I had the GT with an aftermarket screen i lopped 2" off it.
Just but another screen on ebay and cut it to suit.

other than looks I cannot see any reason to buy a shortie screen....and it will cost. in the down position there is loads of wind rushing past and you have the option of raising it if you need weather protection....not something you can do with a shortie screen fitted.

I do understand the reason for a taller wider screen although I don't personally need it as I am a slightly short arse .....but my mate is 6'3" and the normal screen makes the wind buffet (hope I spelt that right - don't want you to imagine mini sausage rolls and vol-au-vents around his helmet) so he fits a taller screen (actually on his k1600) and it makes for a very protected ride

other than looks I cannot see any reason to buy a shortie screen....and it will cost. in the down position there is loads of wind rushing past and you have the option of raising it if you need weather protection....not something you can do with a shortie screen fitted.

I do understand the reason for a taller wider screen although I don't personally need it as I am a slightly short arse .....but my mate is 6'3" and the normal screen makes the wind buffet (hope I spelt that right - don't want you to imagine mini sausage rolls and vol-au-vents around his helmet) so he fits a taller screen (actually on his k1600) and it makes for a very protected ride

The stock screen in the down position for me creates turbulence above 50mph, I do love the facility to raise it high in really bad weather but I'm talking stair-rod type rain not the usual frequent girly rain we get in the UK. I always rode my GSA and my previous 4 GS's with the screens removed and this produced a perfectly smooth ride and only really required me to man-up in really torrential weather, but then I came to the 'GS thing' after 25+ years of mostly naked bikes.

I'm waiting on slipscreens to come back to me re: making a 450mm screen for the RT, if they don't I'll probably get a clear powerbronze one at 500mm, I have ridden the bike without a screen and it's lovely, but it also looks like it's been in an accident, and being a bit of a tart I'd prefer something that looks a little more finished.

Back
Top Bottom