Exhaust valve removal for Akra headers

I am seriously thinking about a set of these, please let me know if it’s a worthwhile expenditure

Some feedback having installed the Akra headers, Akra end can and then remapping via Hilltop.

Cost: 1) ~£800 for the Akra HP end can 2) ~£500 for the Akra downpipe 3) ~£300 for the remap and dyno

Fitting: Instructions provided by Akrapovic but also downloadable from the web. Reasonably straightforward to fit the end can. The headpipes are not difficult but takes a bit longer as you need to remove more and get rid of the valve/flap (following advice on previous posts). Fitting the new headpipes are easy but would suggest having a garage / space to work is a must rather than on the street.

The difference in noise is noticeable immediately after fitting. I have actually put the baffles back in on my Akra as a bit too loud now for my liking. I notice it pops a lot more especially with the quick shifter.

Remapping: Max power improved from 101 BHP to 111 BHP. Max Torque improved from 73.2 ft/lb to 77.2 ft/lb. On the road it seemed to have a little more power in the mid-range and seemed a bit smoother at slow speed.

Whether or not it's worth the effort/cost for the gain is an indiviual decision. Overall, I'm satisfied with the the result.

Hope this helps.

how much louder is it?

uncomfortably loud for touring?
or
excessive for what the type of bike it is?

I heard one at garmische last year, not that much louder if you don’t cane it but is if you do

ive a 17 bike and dont like the flatspot at mid range. Thinking of putting headers on as not convinced a remap would sort it.

ive a 17 bike and dont like the flatspot at mid range. Thinking of putting headers on as not convinced a remap would sort it.

The flat spot will not be removed with headers only as it is caused by BMW/emmission fuelling, remapping does help a bit. Unfortunately you are stuck with it.
If anyone says their 2017 bike bike does not have a flat spot ask to see a dyno chart, cos it will be the first.

how much louder is it?

uncomfortably loud for touring?
or
excessive for what the type of bike it is?

Not sure how to describe the noise but definitely louder and rumbles more. I've got a little more used to it now but not ideal to be firing up early morning outside the house. Fine for touring but you might not be so popular on a campsite if rolling in early or late.

It's not Ducati or Harley loud so relatively speaking it's probably within an acceptable noise band for most bikers.

I have the standard can with these headers. It's good!

Compared to a friends bike when we went on holiday last year, His has more "punch" with the can. Mine has more grumble!

(I'm still looking for a can... by the way!)

Back
Top Bottom