Exhaust valve removal for Akra headers

Jallani

Reaction score
I know this topic has come-up before but can't find in searching the site...so apologies....

I'm about to replace my standard header pipes on a 2016 GSA with Akrapovic stainless headers (just waiting for the postie). I know that I have to disconnect the cables from the black exhaust valve box but where do I leave the cables hanging afterwards? Is there a logical place to hide out the way?

Also, do I remove the plug from the servo or leave it. Seen a post on revzilla that suggested that removal threw up an error on dash.

Appreciate any advice as can imagine this has been done many times by folks on this forum. Thanks

Hi Jallani, remove the cables from the servo unit and take them off all together.

They are really easy to remove the servo is located just under the header pipe and is held on by a couple of bolts . You can take it off open it up (2 screws hold it together) and unhook the cables. then put the servo unit back on the bike. 15 min job.

Make sure you re connect the servo unit . As the servo remains connected this does not give you an error warning on the dash.

I did as woody did, but I also made a small aluminium blanking plate to cover the hole where the cables were removed from to stop any mud etc getting in there.

I’ve just done exactly as described above. It’s really quite easy. I took pics on my iPhone to help with reassembly if and when the time comes.

Apologies in advance for a 'dumb' question but how do you release the O2 sensor cable (not the end that screws into the pipe) I've never really worked out exactly where you release it.

Attachments

• IMG_2757.jpg
    IMG_2757.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 658
Apologies in advance for a 'dumb' question but how do you release the O2 sensor cable (not the end that screws into the pipe) I've never really worked out exactly where you release it.

Follow the wire from the O2 sensor back to it's connector, prise the connector apart and unplug it it's not dissimilar to the one shown in your pic-that may even be it I can't recall, I have in the past left the O2 sensors connected and simply twisted the cables anti clockwise to offset the clockwise rotation of screwing the sensors into the replacement headers.

Follow the wire from the O2 sensor back to it's connector, prise the connector apart and unplug it it's not dissimilar to the one shown in your pic-that may even be it I can't recall, I have in the past left the O2 sensors connected and simply twisted the cables anti clockwise to offset the clockwise rotation of screwing the sensors into the replacement headers.

I did that as well but it's obviously better to disconnect from the other end. Not putting my Akra headers on till the spring so I will have a go then.

I would advise unplugging the O2 sensors before unscrewing from the headers.

I unscrewed one with the intention of twisting it counter clockwise before reassembly but one of the wires sheared with the twisting.
Expensive mistake.

Interestingly they don't say to disconnect the sensors but to unscrew from the headers. As woody1707 points out, you need to be very careful if doing this.

It’s just a matter of taking off the sensor cover and unhooking the cables . It’s absolutely no problem to do . Even I managed it .

Thanks all for advice. Have now removed the old exhaust and blocked off the servo holes as recommended. Was pretty straightforward as suggested. I’m
now waiting for the postie to deliver my new headers so I can do the reverse!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am seriously thinking about a set of these, please let me know if it’s a worthwhile expenditure

I am seriously thinking about a set of these, please let me know if it’s a worthwhile expenditure

That entirely depends upon what you are hoping they will bring to your motorcycling experience and what you use a motorcycle to bring to your life

Back
Top Bottom