Centre Stand Corrosion

Bendy toy

Reaction score
Autumn 2015, I had the centre stand powder coated. Its looking rough again. :( It's not so bad (yet), but the coating does not seem to have been so durable as I'd hoped. Coating is showing rust stains at welds and randomly along the legs. Next time, it will be hot zinc metal sprayed and painted.

On the plus side, the cross bar (which originally had been pebble dashed with road grit) was protected with helicopter tape. That tape was looking rough but after removing the tape, the whole area looks as new.

So If your stand is looking cruddy, get it galvanised and use water proof plastic tape over stone impact areas.

I stopped worrying about corrosion on a 1200GS when I exchanged my 1150GSA for my first in 2005 . . .!

I stopped worrying about corrosion on a 1200GS when I exchanged my 1150GSA for my first in 2005 . . .!

I stopped worrying when I had large parts of the bike powder coated. I was wrong. The process is not what it's cracked up to be and depends depends hugely on who does the job. I got Lucky with Chris Ward from Burton on Trent. The average alloy wheel refurb outfit is unlikely to do a good enough job.

Mine rusted through from the inside out, around the welds on the horizontal bit. Got it back from Bahnstormers with a leg bent where a weld failed after some other work.

Spent a while arguing with them, then added them to the list of crap companies that don't stand by their products/workmanship. Accused me of spinning it on centre stand, but frankly no clue how, or why I'd need to.

BMW couldn't supply a new one (still on a boat from somewhere in the world where steel is cheap, and welding is a hobby) for the MOT so sourced one off eBay. Was going to have the old one fixed up and coated, but the metal was badly torn by BS so binned it.

I had a quote of £80 for a Fiat Panda back axle grit blasted and zinc metal sprayed.
That will be my choice next time (with etch primer and paint on top). Though of course it won’t do anything for internal rot.

Steel salvaged from German fleet that scuttled itself at Scapa Flow after World War may be valuable to instrument makers because it hadn't been exposed to radiation from the atomic blasts at the end of World War II, but its no bloody good in a GS . . .

If you are to powder coat , you need to two pack etch prime if first. my local guy does it, it doesnt fail. I had some panniers done by him, and fell off a couple of times and gouged the panniers exposing raw ally, the powder didnt blister or come off whatsover, i had them done for about 7 years.

Steel salvaged from German fleet that scuttled itself at Scapa Flow after World War may be valuable to instrument makers because it hadn't been exposed to radiation from the atomic blasts at the end of World War II, but its no bloody good in a GS . . .

It’s lasted 100 years under the sea so can’t be “that” bad. ;)

If you are to powder coat , you need to two pack etch prime if first. my local guy does it, it doesnt fail. I had some panniers done by him, and fell off a couple of times and gouged the panniers exposing raw ally, the powder didnt blister or come off whatsover, i had them done for about 7 years.

Chris Ward from Burton does a good job. The Yamaha engine covers, BMW alloy wheels and anything steel have all been great. He’s an industrial finisher.
Steel stand done by a car wheel refurbishers (with good reviews) who has dip tanks and all the bollox has failed after 2-1/2 winters.

Chris Ward from Burton does a good job. The Yamaha engine covers, BMW alloy wheels and anything steel have all been great. He’s an industrial finisher.
Steel stand done by a car wheel refurbishers (with good reviews) who has dip tanks and all the bollox has failed after 2-1/2 winters.

I can recommend these guys, they did my panniers and numerous frames over the years..they 2 pack etch before coating, it sticks like shit to a blanket
http://randgfinishers.co.uk/

It’s lasted 100 years under the sea so can’t be “that” bad. ;)

These ships did not completely rust and disintegrate in the seawater because of accretions of calcium carbonate that form a protective coating on the steel that retards the rate of corrosion. (In the absence of oxygen, it becomes infused with salts and other minerals and covered with surface encrustations - sand, sediment, marine life, and iron oxides and chlorides.) When such sunken ships are brought outside in air, they will rust and completely disintegrate within a year or two . . .like my bloody GS!!!

:blast

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. BMW paint made from sea shells with added salt.
TBH anything steel I have refinished from now will be hot zinc metal sprayed. It’s the only way to deal with welded joints where corrosion can’t be totally cleaned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a quote of £80 for a Fiat Panda back axle grit blasted and zinc metal sprayed.
That will be my choice next time (with etch primer and paint on top). Though of course it won’t do anything for internal rot.

So.............. you’re going to get a centre stand made out of an old Fiat Panda axle, .... interesting. :green gri

Oh dear. Can’t you see it was an example of costs. A stand should be peanuts to get done.

PS forgive me if I’m missing the irony.

Back
Top Bottom