Service interval information.

Just two weeks. :blast:p

Joking aside I sometimes wonder if we fuss too much over our bikes these days. When i was in my teens i bought a 1964 Honda CB 72 or something, it was about 10 years old, I used it summer and winter as my only transport, it was kept outside and i used to brush the snow off it to go to work in the winter. It developed an annoying noise at one point and after stripping it down a few times i found there were about six rollers missing from a crankshaft bearing ( i learned from the owner that work had been done on the crankshaft, not Honda's fault) and one of the remaining rollers was slightly chewed up so i broke up a vespa 150 engine i had lying about and took rollers from the con rod/crankshaft bearing and put them in the bike bearing put it back together, not a torque wrench in sight and it ran for years, don't remember ever changing oil or filter or spark plugs. Back in the good old days when you could leave your front door open because you had nothing worth stealing and every second person had polio.

On the other hand an early 1970s Honda XL250 demanded oil changes every 1500 miles. 1.5 litres IIRC and no oil filter. But leave it to even 1700 miles and you could wreck the engine. Beyond 1500, It would suddenly start to burn its oil. Drive chains lasted less than 10K miles and would quickly get dangerously slack.
Air filter was oil soaked foam so at least that was easy.
The Honda CB250 G5 was notorious for top end & cam chain clatter. Most self destructed. The very similar 175 and 200 were fine so who knows what Honda were up to.

Back
Top Bottom