Motobatt battery terminals on 1150gs

Danny88

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, just taken delivery of new battery from motobatt to fit to R1150gs but the battery terminals on the new battery don’t remotely match up on the designated battery for the bike?

Anyone else had this?

My negative cable is a fixed piece into the cable and unable to rotate the screw in the threaded battery terminals?

Do motobatt provide additionals or do I have to modify/drill out the terminal?

Dan

If it’s anything like my rt the threaded bit was soldered in place.

Isn't it possible to mount the Motobatt terminals in different orientations?
I managed to get mine in, but I'm pretty sure I had to remove the tank first.

Didn't your battery come with the brass (?) adapters, as in the pic below? They take the standard terminal bolts - the threaded hole at each of the 4 terminal points on the Motobatt won't (afaik!) take a terminal bolt, you have to fit the adapters with the screws provided. Unless an 1150 battery is completely different, of course!

Pete

Attachments

• motobatt-batteries_files-image001.jpg
    motobatt-batteries_files-image001.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 1,107
Thanks for all the reply’s. I have had the brass fixings shown but it won’t fit. The negative fixed bolt is far too large to threat through the pre drilled holes, enlarging these won’t work at the provided bolts to fix direct to battery are so large they prevent me getting the nut on the other side?

On the positive side it is a simple round connector so a correct sized nut and bolt should work but again the provided bolt protrudes the cable connecting hole preventing the nut being tightened on it.

I don’t have enough cable to use top fixings so looks like I’ll have to get a Bmw battery as before with the single large lugs.

I made up a short (thick) cable which I used to extend the negative cable, with a larger ring to bolt the negative cable to on one end and a smaller one to bolt on to the Motobatt battery - did this as a temporary fix but that was about seven years ago and still works fine.

Same here, it took some bending and grinding for me too. The drawback is that the positive terminal must be handled carefully when lifting/tilting the tank. The distance is just 1 cm, or so (for the GSA-tank).

Same here, it took some bending and grinding for me too. The drawback is that the positive terminal must be handled carefully when lifting/tilting the tank. The distance is just 1 cm, or so (for the GSA-tank).

Just think of tank removal as the motorcycling equivalent of that game at carnivals where you have to move the hoop along the wire without the bell sounding.

Fitted a Motobatt to my 1150GS with the aid of the various terminals supplied with the battery....and drilling out the brass terminals to 8mm. They are allen-keyed into the battery, so a lot of manipulating can be done. My battery sat just mm's from the bottom of the fuel tank (when the tank was replaced), so added some inner tubing over the positive terminal to prevent any 'shorting' problems and peace of mind. Not the best scenario. Just under two years later, during the recent cold spell, the battery packed-in completely :( It was kept out side (on the bike) with a motorcycle trickle charger plugged in to it.

I would never buy another Absorbed Glass Matt battery.

Even though it did seem to give a better turn-over/cranking power, it certainly wasn't value for money. Cost me £75 and lasted for two years. When I took it back to the retailer, just under 2 yrs later, he said I was just unlucky !! Warranty lasts one year. Back to the problem of finding a replacement lead-acid battery to fit the battery box on the R1150GS; most batteries which 'should' fit the 1150GS, (Varta etc) are 7 inches high, where as the GS's battery box will only take 6 3/4" before it makes contact with the steel petrol tank and you're in danger of burning your bike down by way of the terminals shorting. Wonder how many burned -out GS's have been due to this flaw ??

Back
Top Bottom