Type of Fasteners ?

Carpscar

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the type of fastener heads ( Bolts ) used on my BMW F700 GS 2013 model ?

Went to fit some engine bars yesterday only to discover when I put my glasses on that he main engine support bolt is some type of star effort and not the Allen bolts that I thought so, need to purchase some tools to fit.

TIA

You can get torx bits to fit you ratchet driver if it makes life easier for you, somewhere around the £10-15

Cheers for the replies fellas .

Torx bits for the ratchet it is then.

I’ve not seen hardly any fasteners on a BMW that aren’t Torx, apart from the odd push fit plastic bodywork fasteners. Halfords do a decent “star bit set” to suit 1/2” ratchet on sale for £12 at the moment.

I’ve not seen hardly any fasteners on a BMW that aren’t Torx, apart from the odd push fit plastic bodywork fasteners. Halfords do a decent “star bit set” to suit 1/2” ratchet on sale for £12 at the moment.

R11XX series uses Allan key fasteners
X series uses a mixture hex / Allen key
R 650 / 800 /1000 series uses Allen..
Only post 07 bikes use Torx

If my memory is correct...

Bit of a thread hi-jack but - I’m heading off in July to ride the PanAmerican Hi-way from Alaska to Patagonia and I have been advised to change the torx bolts on the brake callipers to either Allen bolts or standard hex bolts. This is to take account of South American workshops not having the torx bits that are needed. What do you think? Good idea or not needed?

Bit of a thread hi-jack but - I’m heading off in July to ride the PanAmerican Hi-way from Alaska to Patagonia and I have been advised to change the torx bolts on the brake callipers to either Allen bolts or standard hex bolts. This is to take account of South American workshops not having the torx bits that are needed. What do you think? Good idea or not needed?

Why not just take the Torx bits with you :nenau

1/2" drive torx bits are too big and chunky. Get 3/8" drive.

Cheers Matty, I will have a gander tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom