Boxes of Sparks

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got any preferences? I had a really long push today, across 3 fields and about another mile to get to where I could ask for a jump start. Battery just died on me AFTER a good run of about 20 miles at a decent average. That should have been long enough to put back the starter drain. Ran flawlessly once the box had been refilled with new sparks. It is the original battery from 2009, so I think it is trying to tell me I need a new one.

Motobatt have been mentioned, other people say don't go near them.... I just want a reliable battery that will last a good few years under normal circumstances. I am NOT paying £150 to save a couple of lbs by getting one of those Lithium jobbies, it isn't a racing bike - I can eat more than the difference in battery weights!

So go on folks, point me to a bargain please.

Nothing wrong with Motobatt - get one now, and replace every 5yrs?

Otherwise- Yuasa.

A sealed battery like a Motobatt or similar,what dimensions are the battery?

Did you check the alternator output voltage and you might consider carrying a lithium jump start battery about £30 on Amazon?

A sealed battery like a Motobatt or similar,what dimensions are the battery?

Did you check the alternator output voltage and you might consider carrying a lithium jump start battery about £30 on Amazon?

How do I check the output? Normally it just starts on the first push of the button. It did after using the 'outside' battery.
I have a jump start battery, and use it for charging my phone when out and about aswell - but I had gone fishing and didn't take it with me because I was only gone for a couple of hours. I didn't have a puncture system with me either - all that space was taken up with fishing kit, which is, of course, far more important! :D

Connections are all tight. I think it might be because I left the sat nav cradle plug in the socket, even though the TV screen isn't in the cradle, maybe a constant drain there? It is wired direct to the battery terminals.

Push the mode button on the speedo/dash and it will eventually tell you the current charging voltage of the bike...:beerjug:

Push the mode button on the speedo/dash and it will eventually tell you the current charging voltage of the bike...:beerjug:

I had forgotten that..... It has always been good. I'll check it when I start her in a mo - if she'll start! been on the trickle charger, so hopefully the battery will have taken a charge. Got to ride to London tomorrow. I'll take the jump pack with me!

Motobatt have the extra battery connections are always handy...
And I fit as my choice these days..

Once you've checked its charging OK..

I would definitely put a new one on regardless, why wouldn't you for 50 notes..

I put a new one on mine ( that came with it when I bought it ) as picture

But at the price of an Oddessy £110 & upwards, I would of gone 4 a Mottobatt if I had bought one.. :thumb

Attachments

• 20171021_155311.jpg
    20171021_155311.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 241
I tend to leave the mode on the trip setting, so I can judge my fuel level....at tickover there is between 13.6 and 14.3 showing. It fluctuates and funnily enough goes down a bit when I rev her a little, then settles, but generallly is more than 13.6. Bike started fine today, so I hope it was the GPS draining it down and the jump pack won't be needed!

Yes, when I finally get some money come through I will buy a new battery. I am still waiting for an interim payment from the crash back in June.

Interim payment's long overdue, or does it just seem that way?

Hope the devastation is soon sorted.

I tend to leave the mode on the trip setting, so I can judge my fuel level....at tickover there is between 13.6 and 14.3 showing. It fluctuates and funnily enough goes down a bit when I rev her a little, then settles, but generallly is more than 13.6. Bike started fine today, so I hope it was the GPS draining it down and the jump pack won't be needed!

Yes, when I finally get some money come through I will buy a new battery. I am still waiting for an interim payment from the crash back in June.

Best you replace especially as it's an 09 battery, unreliable bike is a reet pain, even one as light as an XC....;)

+1 for Motobatt

Jay which led monitor do you recommend and is it fit and "forget"

+1 for Motobatt

Jay which led monitor do you recommend and is it fit and "forget"

The Gammotronix is pretty good, Peter, just the ordinary plain dome one, I'll be putting them on all my bikes as a "see trouble early" lamp
I feel that with all the electronics knowing if you are frying them early is much better than new ECUs for the sake of £12 ish

Well, bike sang like a bird all the way there and all the way back again. Not a single hesitation at all. :thumby: Sat for a day yesterday and fired up perfectly today. It was a glitch of some sort, but it hasn't resurfaced.

I will look out for a Motobatt offer. I need to watch the pennies at the moment. money has to go on fuel to get what bit of work I can.

DrFarkoff - what is this LED lamp thing they are on about please?

Back
Top Bottom