Heated Grips?

Sylvester

Reaction score
Happy New Year. Rain or shine, (usually rain) I use my Airhead all year. Normally I quite like winter as we dont seem to get as much salt on the roads here as I remember in the UK and the roads are empty. This year, I've had enough of cold hands and was toying with the idea of heated grips. Mine had the std BMW items on it 12 years ago when I picked it up but they never worked. The charging system is running fine so I am reluctant to screw with the electrics. So, are heated grips worth the arse? If so, BMW or aftermarket? Does the feeble charging system tolerate such technology? I really have no idea on heated grips!:nenau

Cheers

I love my OEM heated grips, I don't notice any drop in voltage while on the open road but not sure what happens in town with them on.

I've used heated jacket + gloves on my G/S with no problems. Standard charging system.

Because I’m such a winter wimp, the first thing I do to new bikes is fit heated grips and a Hella socket for my heated jacket.

I’ve even got them on my MSX125!

I've used heated jacket + gloves on my G/S with no problems. Standard charging system.

Same here. As good as the OEM BMW grips are (low form factor, good strong heat) the heated glove and jacket combo is light years ahead. I was out today in zero degree temperatures - no problem whatsoever, well toasty. Its the only way to fly..........

I tried the wrap-arounds and it was like hanging onto a scaffold pole. Like the heated gloves idea but i know i'd get arsed off with the connecting regime getting on and off for gas etc. Might try some oxfords? Also thought about constructing bigger hand guards for winter or muffs.

I have used oxford heated grips for years , actually have to turn them down as they get too hot. Never any battery/charging problems.

Ive used the various iterations of Oxford grips in the past - and they are OK, but not as good as BMW OEM. But they are a lot cheaper.........Personally, if it has to be heated grips and not heated gloves (there is no faff with heated gloves BTW) then I would retro fit OEM grips, but if cost was the main consideration then I would fit Oxford.

Both will do the job (but not as good as heated jacket and gloves).

Your ignition will take around 15 watts out of the alternators 300 watt output, so for daytime running you have 285 left to nun your 50? watt heated grips, and even if you you add a 55 watt headlamp and a 15 watt tail light you still have 215 watts left over for your heated jacket.
Most Brit bikes managed OK with a 120 watt alternator or a 90 watt magdyno.
OK, you will do a bit slow running, traffic lights, etc when the alternator might not be giving full output, that is what you have a 30 /20 AH battery for
Hand guards make a difference too - the later GS style are cheap enough, can be made to fit most and look OK too.
Some folks prefer heated gloves as they heat the back of the hands as well as the palms.
Best powered through a relay triggered by a switched circuit so you cant leave them on and flatten the battery ------------.

Cheers chaps, I'll be off to the shops at the W/end. Sometimes its quicker to order stuff from the UK though!!!

Your ignition will take around 15 watts out of the alternators 300 watt output, so for daytime running you have 285 left to nun your 50? watt heated grips, and even if you you add a 55 watt headlamp and a 15 watt tail light you still have 215 watts left over for your heated jacket.
Most Brit bikes managed OK with a 120 watt alternator or a 90 watt magdyno.
OK, you will do a bit slow running, traffic lights, etc when the alternator might not be giving full output, that is what you have a 30 /20 AH battery for
Hand guards make a difference too - the later GS style are cheap enough, can be made to fit most and look OK too.
Some folks prefer heated gloves as they heat the back of the hands as well as the palms.
Best powered through a relay triggered by a switched circuit so you cant leave them on and flatten the battery ------------.
As boff has quoted,
STD alternator should run all std equipment ,plus vest and grips.
Aux lights may well start to tip things over the edge,
however ,remember the standard set up doesn’t perform at its best at low revs,
The motorworks upgrade (Emerald Isle),if running aux equipment ,starts charging at @1200 revs and on the last bike we fitted one to,had 10 amp charge at 1500 revs under full electrical load.(no aux lights)
Whilst I agree it may be overkill,it adds reliability and choice should you need all the toys and heated bits
And no worrying about a cold start in the morning if running heated gear at night,just my opinion of course:D

Back
Top Bottom