Clutch Squealing sound

KP100

Reaction score
When I let out my clutch it seems to making a loud high pitched squeal sound when it bites hard. Only when let out fast and hard.

Is this the beginning of the end of the clutch?

It's nothing good for sure. Never had it on a GS but a couple of times on cars and it was the spigot bearing which the GS has since it is a car type clutch.
It's only about £15 but to get to it is the same as replacing the clutch so the whole bike needs split. Depending in mileage probably better to budget a new clutch.

Without hearing it a clutch friction plate problem would be my initial thought. May be contaminated.

Without actually hearing it i'm guessing it could be the slave cylinder.
There's a small bearing that's part of the slave which dries out and can squeal when under load.
If so it'll soon fail completely :D.

The slave is bolted to the back of the gearbox, costs about £80 and is easy to change.

The clutch on the overhung gearbox input shaft is a big job to change. If you swap just the friction plate it's about £100. If you swap the whole lot its about £400. Plus labour to strip and rebuild the bike.

To add a note of catastrophe: It might be the gearbox input shaft bearing. Check the gearbox oil. If its grey and smelly, you are probably looking at a gearbox rebuild. As I understand it, the bearings are grease lubricated. When the seals fail they blow the contents into the gearbox and the bearings run dry.

Mike or Steppers will confirm.

I can check the slave bearing.

I could probably buy a second hand gearbox cheaper than fixing it..

Why would I need to replace the whole cluch assembly rather than just the friction. I would have thought the friction plate is the consumable item...

Its only happening in the city , not on the a or b roads. But happening once or twice everyday now.

Clutch feels normal. Not slipping.

Its an 2004 bike with 41k on her

You won't know if the pressure plate need changing until it's opened up, but logically it should only need a new friction plate.

If the release bearing/slave cylinder makes noise it should be obvious as it sits on the back of the gearbox. You may need a flexi-drive to get the torx screws out.

TBH my money is on a failing mainshaft bearing. It's quiet when clutch engaged as its then supported by the engine. When clutch is released the shat is free to wobble.

I big question is. Do I ride till failure and the problem makes itself apparent, or do I strip the bike down and start replacing parts that may be ok , just incase they fail.

I big question is. Do I ride till failure and the problem makes itself apparent, or do I strip the bike down and start replacing parts that may be ok , just incase they fail.

Nobody else can answer that question for you.
Could tell you what I would do but, I'm not you.

Depends on:
What's the bike worth?
Do you have other vehicles?
Do you have breakdown recovery?
What value do you put on reliability?
How much do you value peace of mind?
Do you mind waiting for breakdown recovery?
Can you afford to spend money on something that might not happen?
Etc Etc Etc Etc Etc

As a compromise you could always take it to a reputable motorcycle mechanic who could give you a proper diagnosis based on actually seeing the beast, and an estimate for fixing it. You could then make your decision.

If it is a bearing, you will be looking at ~£500 for a used gearbox plus a rebuild to make sure its bearings are not heading the same way. Get it diagnosed by someone who knows what she/he's doing.

Resurrecting this thread as my GS developed the same problem over the last couple of years or so.

Squealing sound was mostly only with colder/wet climate and under heavy stress (quick release of the clutch in lower gears, etc). Sometimes some "roughness" on the lever was felt at the same time as the noise.
Bike seemed ok when warmed up.

It was ok for the last 6 months, then now it started slipping on higher gears.

Preparing to have it all replaced. Oh well...

Did my clutch years ago, it still slipped afterwards at high loads. Changed the clutch fluid for magura royal blood, problem solved. Odd I know.

Now got the dilemma of whether or not to strip and inspect my gearbox. It rattles like a can of bolts in neutral, especially when hot, but still shifts lovely and the last oil change was crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom