We are based just 30 minutes from Malaga airport in the heart of one of the best adventure riding areas in the world. With Morocco and Portugal on our doorstep many forms of riding holiday can be arranged

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Travelling north to south of Spain.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Yeah, Simon’s route is similar to the one i’d have recommended but because I can’t recommend Santo Domingo enough, to do it in the time available would mean missing out.

But a good alternative, far more interesting than the autoroutes.

Albarracin is, indeed, a worthwhile place to visit and stretch legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerelight View Post
    Yeah, Simon’s route is similar to the one i’d have recommended but because I can’t recommend Santo Domingo enough, to do it in the time available would mean missing out.

But a good alternative, far more interesting than the autoroutes.

Albarracin is, indeed, a worthwhile place to visit and stretch legs.
    I seem to have missed out of notifications fr this topic. Some great advice here, and Santo Domingo de Silos looks great, I'll be sure to drop in there someday.

Talking of Avila, it's not the only city with its walls intact but probably the most well known possibly because they are so visible, i.e. no medieval development that use the walls for their building. I've never been there but I'm reliably informed that at night the old city within the walls is more or less deserted so it's best to stay in the 'new town'.

But the reason I haven0t been to Avila is the amazing Sierra de Gredos just to the south and west. The AV-941 running south from Barco de Avila is one of the most beautiful rides in Spain and 'worth the detour' as they say in Michelin ...

Enjoy!

Simon

Yeah, I too am not getting all my notifications.

You're right, it isn't THE only walled city, Lugo is another one and has a full set. Valencia USED to have a full wall and 7 towers but only 2 remain. There are others, my mistake. But the walls in Avila are so much more visible, most of the other towns and cities having been built up around the walls and therefore barely visible except in small tranches at a time.

Canfranc Station in the Pyrennees (Aragon) is worth a visit (I think, haven't been yet, going on the 28th Apr). It's where they filmed Dr Zhivago and a beautiful building in the process of restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerelight View Post
    Yeah, I too am not getting all my notifications.

You're right, it isn't THE only walled city, Lugo is another one and has a full set. Valencia USED to have a full wall and 7 towers but only 2 remain. There are others, my mistake. But the walls in Avila are so much more visible, most of the other towns and cities having been built up around the walls and therefore barely visible except in small tranches at a time.

Canfranc Station in the Pyrennees (Aragon) is worth a visit (I think, haven't been yet, going on the 28th Apr). It's where they filmed Dr Zhivago and a beautiful building in the process of restoration.
    I live just inside the Roman walls around Tarragona, 3 sides are complete apart form a few buildings and the fourth was actually the stadium of the 'circus' when they did the chariot racing - may apartment building is built on top of what was the starting gate! I walk through one of the gates several times a day taking the dog for his doodaa's

The Roman gate into the city is on the right while the one centre is the entrance to the XVIII C 'Vauban' defences.

This is a good example of what people miss by sticking to the main roads and motorways, anyone who's passed Tarragona on the latter will think it's a horrible place, thanks to the huge pesto-chemical infrastructure south of the city, but the old city is absolutely gorgeous - like York but overlooking the Med. rather than the stinky river Ouse! - and great place to stop overnight or for a few days - giving riders the chance to fill your's truly with beer when I'm in residence ...

Regs

Simon

Avila

Avila is not so dead inside but you need to know where to go. The best place to stay is just inside the walls at "Hotel Palacio de Los Velada". A beautigul restored palace with and amazing atrium. Prices are around 60 Euro but may depend on the time of the year with parking available below the hotel. I have stayed several time and never been disapointed. Dont forget Segovia is just a 1 hour ride away and well worth a visit. The Roman aquaduct is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveS View Post
    Avila is not so dead inside but you need to know where to go. The best place to stay is just inside the walls at "Hotel Palacio de Los Velada". A beautigul restored palace with and amazing atrium. Prices are around 60 Euro but may depend on the time of the year with parking available below the hotel. I have stayed several time and never been disapointed. Dont forget Segovia is just a 1 hour ride away and well worth a visit. The Roman aquaduct is truly amazing.
    I'll take your word for it Clive. Are you at home in Estaon? I'm based at La Pobla all spring while we have our house rebuilt. Meet?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_100 View Post
    I seem to have missed out of notifications fr this topic. Some great advice here, and Santo Domingo de Silos looks great, I'll be sure to drop in there someday.

Talking of Avila, it's not the only city with its walls intact but probably the most well known possibly because they are so visible, i.e. no medieval development that use the walls for their building. I've never been there but I'm reliably informed that at night the old city within the walls is more or less deserted so it's best to stay in the 'new town'.

But the reason I haven0t been to Avila is the amazing Sierra de Gredos just to the south and west. The AV-941 running south from Barco de Avila is one of the most beautiful rides in Spain and 'worth the detour' as they say in Michelin ...

Enjoy!

Simon
    I have just plotted a route south of Salamanca taking in Alba de Tormas, Piedrahita, Herguijuela, San Martin del Pimpollar, Cuevas del Valle. Oropesa, Puebla de Acocer and ending up in Hinojosa de Duque for an overnight stay. Hopefully taking in some great roads and scenery on the way.
    Its the fear of dying that keeps one alive

Quote Originally Posted by turpin View Post
    I have just plotted a route south of Salamanca taking in Alba de Tormas, Piedrahita, Herguijuela, San Martin del Pimpollar, Cuevas del Valle. Oropesa, Puebla de Acocer and ending up in Hinojosa de Duque for an overnight stay. Hopefully taking in some great roads and scenery on the way.
    Good day's riding. My only observation is that you have a choice of route between Oropesa and PdAcocer. Personally, I'd probably favour joining the N502 around Belvis de la Jara - a bit ahead of the best bits, but good distance-covering riding in between.

Your other good option would be to do the leg of the EX102 to Guadalupe - a truly great ride, but putting more time into the day.

Some of the minor roads round there are horrendous - rough to the point of 40mph if you want to hold onto your fillings, even when standing. Made all the worse by the contrast with the smooth roads (the EX118 that runs into Guadalupe from the north being perhaps my favourite in the area - just stunning).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
    Good day's riding. My only observation is that you have a choice of route between Oropesa and PdAcocer. Personally, I'd probably favour joining the N502 around Belvis de la Jara - a bit ahead of the best bits, but good distance-covering riding in between.

Your other good option would be to do the leg of the EX102 to Guadalupe - a truly great ride, but putting more time into the day.

Some of the minor roads round there are horrendous - rough to the point of 40mph if you want to hold onto your fillings, even when standing. Made all the worse by the contrast with the smooth roads (the EX118 that runs into Guadalupe from the north being perhaps my favourite in the area - just stunning).
    That's nice to know. I join the N502 Venta de Rasquilla I leave it at Ramacastanas from there its as follows:
    CM 5150 to Oropesa
    CM 4100
    CM 411
    EX102
    N502
    EX316
    BA V 7113
    EX103
    EX322
    A422

Nearly 300 miles from start to finish so i'll be looking forward to the hotel at the end of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post

I took on board your suggestion and have re-routed taking in the ex102 towards Guadalupe afterwards take the ex 116 and then the ex316 which drops me back onto my original route at Valdecaballeros. I decided on the change after your comments about some of the side roads, one of which i had plotted looked just like you described somewhat iffy

Thanks for the heads up!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234