Travelling north to south of Spain.

I have a suggestion.

A8 from Bilbao to Santander (50miles) get it out of the way quickly and away from the possible rainy weather (yes even in August). Be careful at Solares, stay left on the autoroute.

At Vargas head south on the N623 towards Burgos. It's a lovely road and it won't have much traffic on it.

Burgos is a "nice" city, big cathedral and all that but if you want something "different" then I'd stay on the BU30 (ring road) and get on the E5 and then the N234.

When you see a sign for Santo Domingo de Silos head there. WHAT's there? I hear you ask. It is not only a really old Spain beauty of a village with a wonderful monastery complete with singing monks and a massive church (almost a cathedral) but it's also where the last scene of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was filmed. The cemetery in the scene has been restored and it is called Sad Hill. You can even sponsor a grave as others have done (mother-in-law names mostly but ex-wives/husbands - it's amodern world - also).

Book your lodgings in advance. It will take about 4 hours to get there from Bilbao.

Alternative: Bilbao - Vittoria via the N240 (not A68) and then Burgos and S.D.D.S. The N240 is a good road too but I think the N623 is better. The Vittoria route will take around an hour less.

From Santo Domingo go, indeed, to both Segovia and Avila. Rise early because there's a long way to go. Avila is an imposing walled city. The only one left in Spain. If it's wet (unlikely) DO NOT go in because the streets are cobbled and you WILL drop the bikes.

From Avila either take the N502 OR the 403. The 502 will take you all the way to Cordoba but that will take you 8hrs+ so find a sleepy village along the N502 and stay there.

That will leave you with a shorter distance on the 3rd day to Malaga and time to stop off in Cordoba.

Words of advice: If you are staying in a big town/city, garage the bikes. You won't need to in Santo Domingo or small hostels in small villages and towns.

Drink plenty, stay hydrated en route. Take a camelbak if you can because the "meseta" is dry as a bone in summer.

Toledo, Ciudad Real and Talavera de La Reina are hot, busy, dusty and dry cities and are best avoided, especially in August.

If you had just one more day I would have recommended you go a slightly different way further east but you don't.

Avoid major roads on the 1st, 15th, 31st of August. Especially the national roads where the alternative is a toll road. Take the toll road if you travel on those days (they will be better).

The further south you go the more the roads will be "sheened" and polished. The tarmac is a different mixture to that used in the north because of the heat. It's bad enough if it's dry but if there's even the tiniest hint of rain then BEWARE, the roads, after not having rained in (possibly) weeks, will be an ice rink as the oil on them forms a film on top.

Enjoy yourself.

For what it's worth (and I hasten to add this is a personal opinion) taking the med route would be a spectacular waste of a good opportunity, and not really that much cooler; you will exchange dry heat for humid heat and get a far inferior experience into the bargain. It will, however get you to Malaga in two days.

I will admit that I avoid motorways wherever possible. However, on that route you have very little choice. The A23 down to Valencia from Zaragoza is just about bearable but that A7 and AP7 (toll) down to Alicante and all the way to Malaga is THE most boring route. The alternatives aren't much better, either; the N332 is just unnavigable; tourists and locals on holiday congest those roads and make them lethal at that time of year. Not only that, the N332 goes through every single town and village on the coast and it will slow you down and be particularly tedious. The speed limit changes every 30 yards too.

There is an internal N340 which will be a far better choice (as an altrnate to motorway) but you won't see the sea and it isn't going to set you on fire either.

That's your choices (really) if you want to go that way. There are many ways (of course) but not that would get you there in 2 days.

Book Alhambra soon to avoid disappointment.

Agree with Engiberelight. The A7/AP7 and it is tedious. The N332 is slow. My mom lives in Oriheula Costa and I know the area. I will be there Mid May :D:D:D

Forgot to say August is roasting! I will not go to visit in August. If you could move the trip to late September, you will it enjoy it more

My flat in Fuengirola overlooked the A7. IN summer it was often a car park or nose to tail crawling, due to it being only 2 lanes, the volume of traffic and the number of accidents. Avoid if possible. It's like the M5 between Bristol and Bridgewater on a Friday in summer, but 45c, not 25c. Deeply unpleasant.

For what it's worth (and I hasten to add this is a personal opinion) taking the med route would be a spectacular waste of a good opportunity, and not really that much cooler; you will exchange dry heat for humid heat and get a far inferior experience into the bargain. It will, however get you to Malaga in two days.

I will admit that I avoid motorways wherever possible. However, on that route you have very little choice. The A23 down to Valencia from Zaragoza is just about bearable but that A7 and AP7 (toll) down to Alicante and all the way to Malaga is THE most boring route. The alternatives aren't much better, either; the N332 is just unnavigable; tourists and locals on holiday congest those roads and make them lethal at that time of year. Not only that, the N332 goes through every single town and village on the coast and it will slow you down and be particularly tedious. The speed limit changes every 30 yards too.

There is an internal N340 which will be a far better choice (as an altrnate to motorway) but you won't see the sea and it isn't going to set you on fire either.

That's your choices (really) if you want to go that way. There are many ways (of course) but not that would get you there in 2 days.

Book Alhambra soon to avoid disappointment.

I agree with just about everything here but if it were me I'd take the motorways (Autovias, e.g. A7 - toll roads, Autopistas, are AP-7 and so on) down as far as Teruel and then veer off across country via Manzaneras, and then back on main roads through Valdepeñas, Linares and Jean. The country section is very lovely but also very slow but it is over 1,500 metres so is at least relatively cool. But after that you're back on the plains but at least you have some speed to keep you cool.

Assuming your timing is good you can take the old N-234, which runs roughly parallel with the A-23, from Cariñena as far as Teruel. The formerly lethal road was resurfaced and improved just in time for the A-23 to open and thus draw all the traffic from it, so it's now a gem of a ride. It gets boring as you approach Teruel but might be worth sticking to as it carries on the better side of the city for the N-330. Albarracín is a fabulous place to stop for the night but gets very, very busy in summer so book accommodation well in advance - I highly recommend theHotel Arabia

We did this trip by car in February a few years ago starting at our home in the Pyrenees, stopped at a nice little place at Tomelloso in good time and carried on to Ronda and arrived while it was still daylight, that was despite stopping to explore a ruined Moorish palace outside Cordoba - see below - and hence having quite a mountainous trip on to Ronda.

I don't like Granada itself very much as apart from the Alhambra and the old barrio opposite it's just a big, busy city - well big for Spain - so again if it were me I'd stay at Cordoba, which is really lovely and small enough to get to know in just a day or two, and visit the Alhambra from there. Just my two-penn'th ...

Enjoy!

Simon

PS Tomeloso isn't much of a place but its location is really good and that accommodation really is a little gem to break a long trip.

+1 for Córdoba..... you’ll score some brownie points with the mrs...if ya doing coast road down to Malaga drop in to Nerja... parador hotel.... even more brownie points...

Yeah, Simon’s route is similar to the one i’d have recommended but because I can’t recommend Santo Domingo enough, to do it in the time available would mean missing out.

But a good alternative, far more interesting than the autoroutes.

Albarracin is, indeed, a worthwhile place to visit and stretch legs.

Yeah, Simon’s route is similar to the one i’d have recommended but because I can’t recommend Santo Domingo enough, to do it in the time available would mean missing out.

But a good alternative, far more interesting than the autoroutes.

Albarracin is, indeed, a worthwhile place to visit and stretch legs.

I seem to have missed out of notifications fr this topic. Some great advice here, and Santo Domingo de Silos looks great, I'll be sure to drop in there someday.

Talking of Avila, it's not the only city with its walls intact but probably the most well known possibly because they are so visible, i.e. no medieval development that use the walls for their building. I've never been there but I'm reliably informed that at night the old city within the walls is more or less deserted so it's best to stay in the 'new town'.

But the reason I haven0t been to Avila is the amazing Sierra de Gredos just to the south and west. The AV-941 running south from Barco de Avila is one of the most beautiful rides in Spain and 'worth the detour' as they say in Michelin ...

Enjoy!

Simon

Yeah, I too am not getting all my notifications.

You're right, it isn't THE only walled city, Lugo is another one and has a full set. Valencia USED to have a full wall and 7 towers but only 2 remain. There are others, my mistake. But the walls in Avila are so much more visible, most of the other towns and cities having been built up around the walls and therefore barely visible except in small tranches at a time.

Canfranc Station in the Pyrennees (Aragon) is worth a visit (I think, haven't been yet, going on the 28th Apr). It's where they filmed Dr Zhivago and a beautiful building in the process of restoration.

Yeah, I too am not getting all my notifications.

You're right, it isn't THE only walled city, Lugo is another one and has a full set. Valencia USED to have a full wall and 7 towers but only 2 remain. There are others, my mistake. But the walls in Avila are so much more visible, most of the other towns and cities having been built up around the walls and therefore barely visible except in small tranches at a time.

Canfranc Station in the Pyrennees (Aragon) is worth a visit (I think, haven't been yet, going on the 28th Apr). It's where they filmed Dr Zhivago and a beautiful building in the process of restoration.

I live just inside the Roman walls around Tarragona, 3 sides are complete apart form a few buildings and the fourth was actually the stadium of the 'circus' when they did the chariot racing - may apartment building is built on top of what was the starting gate! I walk through one of the gates several times a day taking the dog for his doodaa's :)

screen-shot-2018-03-31-at-09-54-45.png

The Roman gate into the city is on the right while the one centre is the entrance to the XVIII C 'Vauban' defences. :)

This is a good example of what people miss by sticking to the main roads and motorways, anyone who's passed Tarragona on the latter will think it's a horrible place, thanks to the huge pesto-chemical infrastructure south of the city, but the old city is absolutely gorgeous - like York but overlooking the Med. rather than the stinky river Ouse! :) - and great place to stop overnight or for a few days - giving riders the chance to fill your's truly with beer when I'm in residence ...

Regs

Simon

Avila

Avila is not so dead inside but you need to know where to go. The best place to stay is just inside the walls at "Hotel Palacio de Los Velada". A beautigul restored palace with and amazing atrium. Prices are around 60 Euro but may depend on the time of the year with parking available below the hotel. I have stayed several time and never been disapointed. Dont forget Segovia is just a 1 hour ride away and well worth a visit. The Roman aquaduct is truly amazing.

Avila is not so dead inside but you need to know where to go. The best place to stay is just inside the walls at "Hotel Palacio de Los Velada". A beautigul restored palace with and amazing atrium. Prices are around 60 Euro but may depend on the time of the year with parking available below the hotel. I have stayed several time and never been disapointed. Dont forget Segovia is just a 1 hour ride away and well worth a visit. The Roman aquaduct is truly amazing.

I'll take your word for it Clive. Are you at home in Estaon? I'm based at La Pobla all spring while we have our house rebuilt. Meet?

Simon

I seem to have missed out of notifications fr this topic. Some great advice here, and Santo Domingo de Silos looks great, I'll be sure to drop in there someday.

Talking of Avila, it's not the only city with its walls intact but probably the most well known possibly because they are so visible, i.e. no medieval development that use the walls for their building. I've never been there but I'm reliably informed that at night the old city within the walls is more or less deserted so it's best to stay in the 'new town'.

But the reason I haven0t been to Avila is the amazing Sierra de Gredos just to the south and west. The AV-941 running south from Barco de Avila is one of the most beautiful rides in Spain and 'worth the detour' as they say in Michelin ...

Enjoy!

Simon

I have just plotted a route south of Salamanca taking in Alba de Tormas, Piedrahita, Herguijuela, San Martin del Pimpollar, Cuevas del Valle. Oropesa, Puebla de Acocer and ending up in Hinojosa de Duque for an overnight stay. Hopefully taking in some great roads and scenery on the way.

I have just plotted a route south of Salamanca taking in Alba de Tormas, Piedrahita, Herguijuela, San Martin del Pimpollar, Cuevas del Valle. Oropesa, Puebla de Acocer and ending up in Hinojosa de Duque for an overnight stay. Hopefully taking in some great roads and scenery on the way.

Good day's riding. My only observation is that you have a choice of route between Oropesa and PdAcocer. Personally, I'd probably favour joining the N502 around Belvis de la Jara - a bit ahead of the best bits, but good distance-covering riding in between.

Your other good option would be to do the leg of the EX102 to Guadalupe - a truly great ride, but putting more time into the day.

Some of the minor roads round there are horrendous - rough to the point of 40mph if you want to hold onto your fillings, even when standing. Made all the worse by the contrast with the smooth roads (the EX118 that runs into Guadalupe from the north being perhaps my favourite in the area - just stunning).

Good day's riding. My only observation is that you have a choice of route between Oropesa and PdAcocer. Personally, I'd probably favour joining the N502 around Belvis de la Jara - a bit ahead of the best bits, but good distance-covering riding in between.

Your other good option would be to do the leg of the EX102 to Guadalupe - a truly great ride, but putting more time into the day.

Some of the minor roads round there are horrendous - rough to the point of 40mph if you want to hold onto your fillings, even when standing. Made all the worse by the contrast with the smooth roads (the EX118 that runs into Guadalupe from the north being perhaps my favourite in the area - just stunning).

That's nice to know. I join the N502 Venta de Rasquilla I leave it at Ramacastanas from there its as follows:
CM 5150 to Oropesa
CM 4100
CM 411
EX102
N502
EX316
BA V 7113
EX103
EX322
A422

Nearly 300 miles from start to finish so i'll be looking forward to the hotel at the end of the day!

I took on board your suggestion and have re-routed taking in the ex102 towards Guadalupe afterwards take the ex 116 and then the ex316 which drops me back onto my original route at Valdecaballeros. I decided on the change after your comments about some of the side roads, one of which i had plotted looked just like you described somewhat iffy:eek:

Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom