We are based just 30 minutes from Malaga airport in the heart of one of the best adventure riding areas in the world. With Morocco and Portugal on our doorstep many forms of riding holiday can be arranged

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travelling north to south of Spain.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Davel View Post
    Jeans & T-shirts worked for us - just watch out for sunburn and friggin big insects.
    I'm a jeans and t-shirt rider in that level of heat too!
    No point in over-heating and risking dehydration and possible loss of control of the bike.
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

Make sure you do the A397 to Ronda. Go early to miss the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Becksy View Post
    And flip flops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Or, ride as the locals do..................jeans and t-shirts

Andres
    And flip flops.
    And pissed

Quote Originally Posted by AberdeenAngus View Post
    Make sure you do the A397 to Ronda. Go early to miss the traffic.
    Maybe do it on the return journey. I prefer to ride it towards Ronda, mainly uphill, then stop in Ronda for coffee before deciding whether I have enough time to turn round and do it again. I rode it many times when I lived in Fuengirola and it was always brilliant, especially, as Aberdeen Angus says, when it is quieter

Quote Originally Posted by bristolsaint View Post
    Maybe do it on the return journey. I prefer to ride it towards Ronda, mainly uphill, then stop in Ronda for coffee before deciding whether I have enough time to turn round and do it again. I rode it many times when I lived in Fuengirola and it was always brilliant, especially, as Aberdeen Angus says, when it is quieter
    Good point..... I didn't mean do it on the way down. I meant do it while you're there.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    I think we are just going to gun it straight down to the Mediterranean stopping half way overnight.
    This will give us an extra day near Alhambra therefore giving us more options.
    Thanks again for all the tips, we may do a similar journey later in the year when the weather is a bit cooler.

Good decision. Enjoy your holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew 789 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    I think we are just going to gun it straight down to the Mediterranean stopping half way overnight.
    This will give us an extra day near Alhambra therefore giving us more options.
    Thanks again for all the tips, we may do a similar journey later in the year when the weather is a bit cooler.
    Ive done this a few times now from Santander, - Bilbao -Madrid in from the north going clockwise and out at the south , first overnight stop around 20:00-21:00 at ocana on the other side of Madrid. Next day you are in andalucia, granada around lunch time.

This place is worth a look, if you can spare half a day, but, as with the Alhambra Palace, you need to book in advance. Best to avoid the midday slots, either go early morning, or late afternoon.
    Chris.
    http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/

I have a suggestion.

A8 from Bilbao to Santander (50miles) get it out of the way quickly and away from the possible rainy weather (yes even in August). Be careful at Solares, stay left on the autoroute.

At Vargas head south on the N623 towards Burgos. It's a lovely road and it won't have much traffic on it.

Burgos is a "nice" city, big cathedral and all that but if you want something "different" then I'd stay on the BU30 (ring road) and get on the E5 and then the N234.

When you see a sign for Santo Domingo de Silos head there. WHAT's there? I hear you ask. It is not only a really old Spain beauty of a village with a wonderful monastery complete with singing monks and a massive church (almost a cathedral) but it's also where the last scene of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was filmed. The cemetery in the scene has been restored and it is called Sad Hill. You can even sponsor a grave as others have done (mother-in-law names mostly but ex-wives/husbands - it's amodern world - also).

Book your lodgings in advance. It will take about 4 hours to get there from Bilbao.

Alternative: Bilbao - Vittoria via the N240 (not A68) and then Burgos and S.D.D.S. The N240 is a good road too but I think the N623 is better. The Vittoria route will take around an hour less.

From Santo Domingo go, indeed, to both Segovia and Avila. Rise early because there's a long way to go. Avila is an imposing walled city. The only one left in Spain. If it's wet (unlikely) DO NOT go in because the streets are cobbled and you WILL drop the bikes.

From Avila either take the N502 OR the 403. The 502 will take you all the way to Cordoba but that will take you 8hrs+ so find a sleepy village along the N502 and stay there.

That will leave you with a shorter distance on the 3rd day to Malaga and time to stop off in Cordoba.

Words of advice: If you are staying in a big town/city, garage the bikes. You won't need to in Santo Domingo or small hostels in small villages and towns.

Drink plenty, stay hydrated en route. Take a camelbak if you can because the "meseta" is dry as a bone in summer.

Toledo, Ciudad Real and Talavera de La Reina are hot, busy, dusty and dry cities and are best avoided, especially in August.

If you had just one more day I would have recommended you go a slightly different way further east but you don't.

Avoid major roads on the 1st, 15th, 31st of August. Especially the national roads where the alternative is a toll road. Take the toll road if you travel on those days (they will be better).

The further south you go the more the roads will be "sheened" and polished. The tarmac is a different mixture to that used in the north because of the heat. It's bad enough if it's dry but if there's even the tiniest hint of rain then BEWARE, the roads, after not having rained in (possibly) weeks, will be an ice rink as the oil on them forms a film on top.

Enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the info.
    Just what I need.

For what it's worth (and I hasten to add this is a personal opinion) taking the med route would be a spectacular waste of a good opportunity, and not really that much cooler; you will exchange dry heat for humid heat and get a far inferior experience into the bargain. It will, however get you to Malaga in two days.

I will admit that I avoid motorways wherever possible. However, on that route you have very little choice. The A23 down to Valencia from Zaragoza is just about bearable but that A7 and AP7 (toll) down to Alicante and all the way to Malaga is THE most boring route. The alternatives aren't much better, either; the N332 is just unnavigable; tourists and locals on holiday congest those roads and make them lethal at that time of year. Not only that, the N332 goes through every single town and village on the coast and it will slow you down and be particularly tedious. The speed limit changes every 30 yards too.

There is an internal N340 which will be a far better choice (as an altrnate to motorway) but you won't see the sea and it isn't going to set you on fire either.

That's your choices (really) if you want to go that way. There are many ways (of course) but not that would get you there in 2 days.

Book Alhambra soon to avoid disappointment.

Agree with Engiberelight. The A7/AP7 and it is tedious. The N332 is slow. My mom lives in Oriheula Costa and I know the area. I will be there Mid May

Forgot to say August is roasting! I will not go to visit in August. If you could move the trip to late September, you will it enjoy it more

My flat in Fuengirola overlooked the A7. IN summer it was often a car park or nose to tail crawling, due to it being only 2 lanes, the volume of traffic and the number of accidents. Avoid if possible. It's like the M5 between Bristol and Bridgewater on a Friday in summer, but 45c, not 25c. Deeply unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerelight View Post
    For what it's worth (and I hasten to add this is a personal opinion) taking the med route would be a spectacular waste of a good opportunity, and not really that much cooler; you will exchange dry heat for humid heat and get a far inferior experience into the bargain. It will, however get you to Malaga in two days.

I will admit that I avoid motorways wherever possible. However, on that route you have very little choice. The A23 down to Valencia from Zaragoza is just about bearable but that A7 and AP7 (toll) down to Alicante and all the way to Malaga is THE most boring route. The alternatives aren't much better, either; the N332 is just unnavigable; tourists and locals on holiday congest those roads and make them lethal at that time of year. Not only that, the N332 goes through every single town and village on the coast and it will slow you down and be particularly tedious. The speed limit changes every 30 yards too.

There is an internal N340 which will be a far better choice (as an altrnate to motorway) but you won't see the sea and it isn't going to set you on fire either.

That's your choices (really) if you want to go that way. There are many ways (of course) but not that would get you there in 2 days.

Book Alhambra soon to avoid disappointment.
    I agree with just about everything here but if it were me I'd take the motorways (Autovias, e.g. A7 - toll roads, Autopistas, are AP-7 and so on) down as far as Teruel and then veer off across country via Manzaneras, and then back on main roads through Valdepeñas, Linares and Jean. The country section is very lovely but also very slow but it is over 1,500 metres so is at least relatively cool. But after that you're back on the plains but at least you have some speed to keep you cool.

Assuming your timing is good you can take the old N-234, which runs roughly parallel with the A-23, from Cariñena as far as Teruel. The formerly lethal road was resurfaced and improved just in time for the A-23 to open and thus draw all the traffic from it, so it's now a gem of a ride. It gets boring as you approach Teruel but might be worth sticking to as it carries on the better side of the city for the N-330. Albarracín is a fabulous place to stop for the night but gets very, very busy in summer so book accommodation well in advance - I highly recommend theHotel Arabia

We did this trip by car in February a few years ago starting at our home in the Pyrenees, stopped at a nice little place at Tomelloso in good time and carried on to Ronda and arrived while it was still daylight, that was despite stopping to explore a ruined Moorish palace outside Cordoba - see below - and hence having quite a mountainous trip on to Ronda.

I don't like Granada itself very much as apart from the Alhambra and the old barrio opposite it's just a big, busy city - well big for Spain - so again if it were me I'd stay at Cordoba, which is really lovely and small enough to get to know in just a day or two, and visit the Alhambra from there. Just my two-penn'th ...

Enjoy!

Simon

PS Tomeloso isn't much of a place but its location is really good and that accommodation really is a little gem to break a long trip.

+1 for Córdoba..... you’ll score some brownie points with the mrs...if ya doing coast road down to Malaga drop in to Nerja... parador hotel.... even more brownie points...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPI[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]C]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast