Johno23

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a little advice and any knowledge anyone has.I know little about these bikes, apart from the fact they are lovely.....:blast

Dan my son is looking at buying a 1997 916. The bike looks lovely with only 17000 or so miles on it and has apparently had a recent service and the belts changed.
It was imported into UK about 3 years ago. I don’t see a problem with it being an import,but would like to hear opinions regarding the fact it’s an import ie,what if any are the disadvantages of an import,obviously not being able to confirm owners,service history etc is one.
Also, we understand these are not renowned for reliability, but that is something he has to accept,it won’t be doing huge mileage so hopefully won’t be too much of an issue.
Any thoughts and advice on specific things to look at on a 916 when we view is what we’re after.
:beerjug:

One thing that can be very expensive if not sorted out on imported 916 or 748 Ducatis is the headlamp dip angle. A none too keen mot tester might not spot it but another one could and if you need new UK spec lights they’re expensive. Baines racing at Silverstone used to sell a corrector but may have discontinued them by now.

Service history is important but if it’s had the belts changed and the valve clearances checked I wouldn’t worry about it too much if the price is right and the only other major inconvenience can be the fuel lines inside the petrol tank perishing because it’ll let him down with no warning if they’re dodgy.

My wife’s got a similar age one and they’re lovely bikes to ride but make your wrists ache at slower speeds though there’s an easy remedy for that :D

I let a beautiful 996 go for half nothing a few years ago when I was stuck for a few bob........ I'm kicking myself.

If you have a chance to own one..........why not.

Not a daily driver though, unless you're some sort of a circus contortionist!!

Sent from a U11

Imports were all the rage given the strength of the pound at the time. Belts, valve clearances, oil changes the only critical things. 17K it's just run-in.
Wish I'd kept my '99 import 996 - i'll have to make do with my slightly less pretty but eminently more comfortable (for my old bones) 999s.

p.s. the yellow ones are faster.......

Yes they are...........Jaysus I miss this bike.
f61b2410ec20fc8b1646f7fbdb362ba0.jpg
af63017e15b0d78339e78d5f91f7c244.jpg
84e34311188bcd7b957e33eba501bf7e.jpg

Sent from a U11

Thanks gents for comments, Dan phoned Ducati in Italy today who were very helpful and confirmed original sale, they also confirmed when it was imported into Uk,engine and frame no’s and service history. So all looks good, going down to Poole tomorrow to view and hopefully collect :thumb
I will post some pics if all goes well:beerjug:

Well,judge for yourselves...........:drool

Attachments

• 1068223E-5F7A-4002-8994-23E9715CFBFA.jpg
    1068223E-5F7A-4002-8994-23E9715CFBFA.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 350
  • 5D406D96-9D6D-4280-B781-A743CC265DC5.jpg
    5D406D96-9D6D-4280-B781-A743CC265DC5.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 486
Did you take the fairing lowers off and look for furry fasteners?

I does look like a good one and if the price is right and it’s good close up there’s no reason not to go for it.

Did you take the fairing lowers off and look for furry fasteners?

I does look like a good one and if the price is right and it’s good close up there’s no reason not to go for it.

Yes covers came off, all spotless under there, in fact it was immaculate throughout apart from slight scuffing where the left boot had touched the swing arm. Dan the lazy sod hadn’t created enough space in the garage so it’s in his hall at the moment................I’m guessing it’s not going anywhere soon.....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• ADE5C699-F5BB-43BA-8F4E-966E5BFE5B4C.jpg
    ADE5C699-F5BB-43BA-8F4E-966E5BFE5B4C.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 405
  • 924D0DDD-1C56-45AB-A1E4-99FB82BD7B09.jpg
    924D0DDD-1C56-45AB-A1E4-99FB82BD7B09.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 313
Yes covers came off, all spotless under there, in fact it was immaculate throughout apart from slight scuffing where the left boot had touched the swing arm. Dan the lazy sod hadn’t created enough space in the garage so it’s in his hall at the moment................I’m guessing it’s not going anywhere soon.....:rolleyes:

Actually I’ve moved it to the kitchen now which was always the plan, sort of.:augie

Does the rear chain sprocket carrier bolts being wired mean its been used for racing? Or are they all like that?

Just asking 'cos I've absolutely no idea ...

Does the rear chain sprocket carrier bolts being wired mean its been used for racing? Or are they all like that?

Just asking 'cos I've absolutely no idea ...

The carrier thing looks very similar to mine but mine has no wires or indeed any holes in the bolts / studs to wire it so I dont know the actual answer

It was the rubber cush drives inside that carrier thing that failed on mine

Back
Top Bottom