Project XChallenge

Yes - I'm pleased with how its shaping up ;-)

Footpegs and sidestand fitted - thats it for tonight , continue in the morning......

25061487397_f4784b33f0_b.jpg

Looking sweet, is it just me our is 40nm for the front sprocket a bit low, especially with no tab washer to flatten down onto the bolt. I’d be interested in your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking sweet, is it just me our is 40nm for the front sprocket a bit low, especially with no tab washer to flatten down onto the bolt. I’d be interested in your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40Nm is fine - the bots has a collar bush and a diaphragm spring (a domed washer) which I believe keeps the tension on the bolt , the Workshop manual also states to use Loctite 243

A friend of mine over tightened the bolt on his XChallenge and snapped it - thankfully I managed to get it out for him using a speedout extractor

Excellent progress today withe the re-assembley : radiator and all coolant pipes , exhaust header , Touratech small rear rack , rear under tray , taillight & rear number plate support section , rear LED indicators , AFXIED unit , front forks , handlebars , switchgear , mirrors , hand grips , clutch and accelerator cables , air box with UniFilter , Leo Vince end can

39242970644_a55e79776f_b.jpg

39242970744_b0769604c2_b.jpg

25081749747_5c4c5875e7_b.jpg

25081750537_984b002837_b.jpg

26080526888_7dd98983df_b.jpg

39054926035_9acb711c81_b.jpg

25081750347_14cbeb95d7_b.jpg

39953016521_5edd9a7866_b.jpg

28173358329_2749c6569f_b.jpg

]
28173358619_0cedecb1bf_b.jpg

39054926555_74f05f5464_b.jpg

Looks good, very good. A credit to you, looking forward to seeing the finished article.
:thumby:

A little bit more progress today

Cooling circuit filled with antifreeze and 2.3 litres of 15W-50 of oil in , brake fluid filled and bled , new Motobatt battery fitted and headlight fitted (upgraded to LED)

Crossed my fingers and turned on ignition.......display powered up and went through its self test cycle . All lights worked , new LED indicators all worked (pair 50 Ohm resistors wired into front indicator circuit) . Plugged in GS-911 and no fault codes found - Yipee !!

Cycled through each of the tests on the GS-911 and everything worked : TPS , Fuel Pump , Injector , Cooling Fan , ABS Pump and Valves . Performed a full adaption re-set then filled the tank with a gallon of super unleaded

Time to hit that start button - but first remove the chain off the front sprocket - don't want than spinning round and dragging the chain over the nicely new painted swinging arm

First press of the button and she fired straight up , tick over nice and steady at 1500 RPM , let it heat right up until fan kicked in , checked it cooled system down and fan switched off . Re checked oil level - all good

No leaks or nasty noises

Just need to get the painted panels back from the paint shop , the wheels sorted with tyres and tubes fitted and the seat fitted and we will be about done

39959131252_251604d9d1_b.jpg

39990456431_7ec4b41305_b.jpg

39280677444_ae87998902_b.jpg

XChallenge ?.........wrong headlight :rolleyes:or have I missed something.
Credit to you, you are doing a brilliant job.
:thumby: Bilko

XChallenge ?.........wrong headlight :rolleyes:or have I missed something.
Credit to you, you are doing a brilliant job.
:thumby: Bilko

XChallenge with a non standard headlight fitted intentionally rather than the wrong headlight ;-)

All will become clear once the bike is finished

Ahh, i wondered where this was going, particularly after seeing the blue frame.

Great reg for this bike. Looking good thus far. Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Ahh, i wondered where this was going, particularly after seeing the blue frame.

Great reg for this bike. Looking good thus far. Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Thanks Gareth - how goes the engine rebuild/repair ?

Thanks Gareth - how goes the engine rebuild/repair ?

Not done much since the weekend as long days at the moment. Decided to swap out the engine for now so i can work on it when time permits; want to be able to confirm the cause before i spend on repair.

Dropped the engine out of the donor bike; removing the lower left frame and keeping the oil tank on. V tight to get out. Thinking of maybe leaving the oil tank in the frame and disconnecting the oil pipes to see if that makes it easier when removing this one (bearing in mind i need to slide another one back in!)

Which way did you find best on yours (plural and possessive 's'!)

Not done much since the weekend as long days at the moment. Decided to swap out the engine for now so i can work on it when time permits; want to be able to confirm the cause before i spend on repair.

Dropped the engine out of the donor bike; removing the lower left frame and keeping the oil tank on. V tight to get out. Thinking of maybe leaving the oil tank in the frame and disconnecting the oil pipes to see if that makes it easier when removing this one (bearing in mind i need to slide another one back in!)

Which way did you find best on yours (plural and possessive 's'!)

I removed the oil tank for the engine removal along with the LH lower frame section but had it and the central frame section pre bolted to the engine for the install

Where did you get the donor bike from - was it that XMoto that was on eBay ?

I removed the oil tank for the engine removal along with the LH lower frame section but had it and the central frame section pre bolted to the engine for the install

Where did you get the donor bike from - was it that XMoto that was on eBay ?

Thanks, will look at that as a way to do it.

No, i've had no comms back from that ebay one, but it sounded ideal for a donor engine with that mileage on it (at least you managed to speak with him)

No, i bought a crashed one years ago for donor bits. Last time i ran it was 2012 i think so fingers crossed it still works when i install it. Should do as i filled it with oil to try to prevent rusting etc.

Back
Top Bottom