Ambient air temperature sensor

Bendy toy

Reaction score
Does anyone know the pattern of how these fail?
During the summer I suspected mine was reading high but couldn’t be sure. It’s now reading ok on cold start but after a few miles will be about 5 degrees high. Switch off the bike (eg to buy petrol) and on restart it stays high.
This time of year with frosts etc it’s a proper pain.
Clearly a new sensor could be fitted but not knowing the failure pattern it might be some other issue.
Anyone had the same issue?

I've not had a one fail on my BMW bikes but I've had two go on my Audis and helping a mate in the garage trade we have replaced a dozen or more over the last 2 or 3 years. the pattern of failure has been the same on all of them ...they always read on the high side usually between 7 to 10 degrees C .

If you look on OEM BMW you will see that the ambient outside air temp sensor is the same part for all of the bikes and most of the BMW range of cars plus minis and RR's, double check but it will mean that you will probably be able to get a much cheaper OEM item from MEYLE/Bosch or Febi for a lot less money than the £38 BMW Motorrad want

Plenty of MEYLE ones on e bay and they are OEM so decent quality , all the ones we changed have given no further problems

I have exactly the same issue 3-5 C high basically as soon as the engine warms up. I assumed it was just the sensor was too close to something that got hot. If you work out a fix / cheap part that works then I’d love to get it working properly on my bike as well!

Back
Top Bottom