I'm back on the case with the Kettle :)

Bendy toy

Reaction score
Intruments were looking tatty with crummy hand painted black. But they are otherwise good and cleaned up well.

They don't come off the bike with one connector like the BMW. Every bulb or whatever has its own wires and the bulbs are well stuck into the back of the clocks.

The die cast mounting was paint stripped to bare metal then etch primed and painted.

For the clocks, I stripped the cruddy paint, then masked off the glass with sellotape. Also used it on the chrome trim around the clock base. A couple of coats of etch primer lightly rubbed down between gave a good prep. Now, I removed the tape from the chrome trim and sprayed with satin black. When dry the black rubs off the trim with a blunt flat screwdriver and thumbnail. It might have worked on the glass but I wasn't that brave.

Current job is cleaning the cast aluminium top triple clamp. It's solid but paint is chipped. Surprisingly NO CORROSION. BMW take note.

I bought a new seat some year ago - cheap because the vinyl was damaged. New cover arrived today so I got the old cover off.

You Tube was helpful for how to remove the trim "push nuts" those fully internal star washer things. Also helpful for how to fit the new cover. At least mine already has retaining clips spot welded to the pan.

The foam is surprisingly good, though did need a bit of repair with car body flexible acrylic sealer. The steel base looked pretty good but paint is really rubbish - you can rub it off with a screwdriver. On the foam side it was looking much less glamorous so it's gone away for a grit blast and hot zinc metal spray job. I'll then etch prime and black paint it.

The seat pan is back. The area under where the seat cover was cut had become very pitted. Thankfully it’s still strong. Hot zinc metal spray galvanising will keep any vestiges of rust at bay.
Seat cover spike strips are on order.

Forks stripped and cleaned. The sliders have polished up nicely. Deep marks filed out, followed by plumbers abrasive mesh, followed by Rovlies pads and Autosol.
A coat of furniture wax keeps finger marks at bay.

Back
Top Bottom