2008 GSA fuel range tested: 377 miles

tornadof3

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I always like to know the maximum fuel range for my bikes and I figure that my daily commute is the 'least' fuel efficient use of my bike so if I measure a full tank on daily commuting then that mileage will always be a safe 'minimum' range. My daily commute has mixture of 30mph town, dual carriageway, 40mph A-road stop/start x lots and a couple of miles of country lanes. The trip computer gives a consistent 47 mpg consumption.

377 miles were achieved. I've been riding around with a 2.5 litre Jerry can strapped to the rear rack and had to work hard yesterday morning to get her to conk out, which she conveniently did on a quiet country lane. Fuel light at 365 miles.

Interestingly, she took the 2.5 litres at the road side and then 3 miles later at Morrisons she took 35.4 litres into her 33 litre tank... I always fill my bikes up to the very brim so that I have a consistent starting point and always reset the odometer.

I always like to know the maximum fuel range for my bikes and I figure that my daily commute is the 'least' fuel efficient use of my bike so if I measure a full tank on daily commuting then that mileage will always be a safe 'minimum' range. My daily commute has mixture of 30mph town, dual carriageway, 40mph A-road stop/start x lots and a couple of miles of country lanes. The trip computer gives a consistent 47 mpg consumption.

377 miles were achieved. I've been riding around with a 2.5 litre Jerry can strapped to the rear rack and had to work hard yesterday morning to get her to conk out, which she conveniently did on a quiet country lane. Fuel light at 365 miles.

Interestingly, she took the 2.5 litres at the road side and then 3 miles later at Morrisons she took 35.4 litres into her 33 litre tank... I always fill my bikes up to the very brim so that I have a consistent starting point and always reset the odometer.

If I'm reading that correctly you ran out of fuel completely just 12 miles after the fuel light came on !?

My Honda "range to empty display" comes on with just under 40 miles left .Most bikes should do that sort of distance before running out .

If I'm reading that correctly you ran out of fuel completely just 12 miles after the fuel light came on !?

That's exactly correct... 365 mi vs 377 mi.

Oh, and the "range" countdown is totally useless... at 340 miles it read 175mi range, at 345 mi it read 100mi range and at 377 mi it read 28 mi range...

The low fuel light is calculated by the ECE so pretty rubbish TBH.
Trouble is when the fuel strip fails you’ll have a continuous low fuel warning.

Japanese bikes use a thermistor to switch the low fuel independently of the gauge.

Come to think of it, that would be a good way to show when the tank RHS has fuel even when LHS is empty.

Oh, and the "range" countdown is totally useless... at 340 miles it read 175mi range, at 345 mi it read 100mi range and at 377 mi it read 28 mi range...

I have to say that a 12 mile reserve is a bit shit, although with a tank that big should never need to run it that low.

With the Honda , like other bikes and cars , the "range to empty" is the low fuel warning / reserve . There is a yellow warning light in the dash and a new trip appears on the LCD showing around 36-37 miles left and starts to countdown . The daft thing is it counts down to 10miles and after that just shows a line meaning empty . I've then ridden it to above a further 10miles (twice) and not run dry completely.

I always reset my trip and then consider just refuelling around the 150--160 mark . Never had s problem.

Used to ride a Fazer that would only do around 120 miles max and that was a PITA as I used to often do more than that every day for work . I'd almost always end up having to stop on the way home to fill up. This however meant the tank wasn't full in the morning so I'd have to fill up again in the day and then maybe again on the way home sometimes.

Fuel sender isn't working properly so keep an eye on your trip. Reserve should come on around 40-45 miles left and even then have a bit left because as you have discovered the tank isn't actually 33l. That said the fact you have something even approaching a working fuel gauge is a bit of a minor miracle.

The GSA is supposed to have a 34 litre tank but I’ve added best part of 36 litres when filling from bone dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom