24 hours around Ireland

In my experience, an expedition like this should have at least one Englishman, to bring logic and decorum as bodies tire and moral dips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not much more than one though.......numbers above three or four might be considered an occupation and god only knows where that could lead!!

Sent from a U11

Pat, d'ya mean the '4 corners' or a proper circumference?
I once mapped out (I was bored :rolleyes:) a full circumnavigation using the closest continuous roads to the coast (no dead ends) & it came in at something like 4000km. Even you won't do that in a few days :D

I remember that JR. Yourself, Daithi and I talked about doing that ride. Extreme Boreen was the working title if memory serves.

Several lads here have done the IBA ride. It's about 850 miles and not the full 1000 because of the quality of the roads in the country apparently.

Can't believe none of you ruffy, tuffy adventure types haven't done this already.
I took a notion and did it last May bank holiday, with no preparation other than programming the Garmin. Left from my local filling station near Downpatrick, Co Down at around four in the afternoon and headed down around Dublin and down towards Waterford. Then on through the necessary towns as required.
Don't forget to follow the instructions regarding collecting proofs like receipts. There's no excuses accepted.
They recommend doing the west coast during daylight hours for obvious reasons. I arrived in Clifden around 7.30 in the morning.
Worst time for me was early that morning and I took a half hour nap for safety reasons.
One thing that I found helped is to try not to follow any vehicle for too long. Watching the back of any car or van becomes slightly hypnotic after a while and can cause you to lose concentration when you're getting tired. I found it safer to get past and then you have more to look at and keep you on your toes.
By lunchtime, I found that I had gone beyond tired and felt fine for the rest of the trip. Did run into roadworks for the new dual carriageway between Coleraine and Ballymena, but made it back to my local filling station with just over half an hour to spare.
One guy that I spoke to said that he left a 24 hour filling station at four in the morning and was back again by midnight.
I could've gone quicker, but was conscious of being on my own and that my fuel range would reduce if I went faster. Just kept it steady. Was quite surreal driving down empty roads at three in the morning on my own.
Got the certificate and received my Iron Butt Ireland badge last month, which I wear with pride!
Make sure you know where to get fuel during the night. I didn't trust my Garmin and some of the stations didn't open all night or were gone. I carried a gallon of fuel in the top box but didn't need it anyway.
It's very doable and you get a sense of achievement for not that much effort. Be a member of a slightly exclusive club.
I'm thinking of doing the Compass Point run this spring. Visiting the most northerly, southerly, easterly and westerly points in Ireland in 24 hours. Think it's slightly longer, but a bit more planning needed.

I did it last year but took 19 hours, 06:15 to 01:15. Didn't stop too often or too long.

I really enjoyed it, wasn't as tired as I thought I would be.

Nice one Pat! any progress on identifying a few days to give the "4Corners" a crack?

I am flexible any time I am in Ireland will do. If its in May we could take in the NW200 race weekend on the way round (we usually stay in Portballintrae).
Hay guys!! I got us from Westport to Killimer Harbour who is getting us through Kerry?

Bike still in Spain .......won't have it back until the weekend but keep me informed please Pat.

Sent from a U11

I was sabosed to do the trip with my daughter but she is out of work injured at moment. Hopefully I’ll get it done in the next week or 2. JJH

Back
Top Bottom