Dead as a dodo, R1200 GSA 2016 model

I jump started mine on the weekend with one of those small pocket USB charger/jumper batteries. Very handy to have around.

JJH, So how good is the factory alarm on the GS?
For instance, does it always self arm or can this be easily overridden?

I have never used my factory alarm. Battery has never gone flat so I guess the alarm takes no power when it’s switched off.

The factory alarm works ok. It sets automatically 1 minute after switching off. The only time I don’t use it is when on a ferry when you can manually override it. So it’s always on. The bike is never left long without use mabey a week at most when on holiday. To override it you go into the menus it is quite easy. JJH

I jump started mine on the weekend with one of those small pocket USB charger/jumper batteries. Very handy to have around.

Yep great little devices, I have the XP-1 from Anti Gravite, and that started a Fatbob with a dead battery, and without even recharging started up a massive S&S engine that needed some serious cranking, fired both up like mopeds, great bit of kit, and comes in a small bag with all goodies for phones and laptops, I see also they have a new one even smaller with a lithium battery, I bet that is good also, well built.

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/microstart-jump-starter.html

The lithium boost packs use same type of battery as a phone or laptop computer.
They are VERY fussy about charging voltage so can’t be left connected to the bike for too long.
Lithium starter batteries are less power dense but a lot less fussy and safer as a result.

The lithium boost packs use same type of battery as a phone or laptop computer.
They are VERY fussy about charging voltage so can’t be left connected to the bike for too long.
Lithium starter batteries are less power dense but a lot less fussy and safer as a result.

Mine is never connected to the bike, unless battery fails, and when connected only the time to start the engine, then all is fine, I must admit the XP-1 is quite strong my 2.5 diesel Toyota panel van battery went a bit low, and this little monster fired it up no problems.

The factory alarm works ok. It sets automatically 1 minute after switching off. The only time I don’t use it is when on a ferry when you can manually override it. So it’s always on. The bike is never left long without use mabey a week at most when on holiday. To override it you go into the menus it is quite easy. JJH

So maybe mine is used by default but it’s never gone off.

I don’t have permanent power to the garage and I think hooking a bike to a mains charger is at the very best a clunky work-around.

The lithium battery solves the Optimate problem. It’s not perfect in cold weather but always starts the bike. A cold weak lead acid gives you one chance if that’s not enough it’s jump start time.

So maybe mine is used by default but it’s never gone off.

I don’t have permanent power to the garage and I think hooking a bike to a mains charger is at the very best a clunky work-around.

The lithium battery solves the Optimate problem. It’s not perfect in cold weather but always starts the bike. A cold weak lead acid gives you one chance if that’s not enough it’s jump start time.
The indicators flash as the alarm self arms. It could be disabled in the menus. JJH

Mine is never connected to the bike, unless battery fails, and when connected only the time to start the engine, then all is fine, I must admit the XP-1 is quite strong my 2.5 diesel Toyota panel van battery went a bit low, and this little monster fired it up no problems.

I added the comment because with power these boosters have the obvious question is “why use a plain boring starter brick”.
Google “lithium battery types” will find details on the various pros & cons.

Lithium seems to be the way to go. After over a century of lead acid and many false dawns (remember sulpher dixide? With its high temperature) a few manufacturers seem to be using them now. JJH

Lithium seems to be the way to go. After over a century of lead acid and many false dawns (remember sulpher dixide? With its high temperature) a few manufacturers seem to be using them now. JJH

Had one on the Harley Fatbob, way better at cranking the engine.

Yeah - go and bump start a vehicle with fuel injection and a flat battery - let me know how you get on. Post video... :p

twas in jest of course, the viedo of the OP being pushed up and down the street might be funny though :thumb

I twice left the heated grips on my Fi Yam Fazer switched on whilst at work and twice had to bump start , no problem. My mate bump started me on the Guzzi once outside a hotel in Scotland, worked fine frist attempt. 15 mins later when we stopped for fuel not so easy. On the 5th/6th attempt she fired , I shot forward on the bike and he face planted on the forecourt . He actually saved his face with his elbows and forearms but both were so badly skinned we had to go to a Pharmacy for dressing and antispetic cream. Ouch !!!

Back
Top Bottom